Homemade Gelatin Vs. Commercial Gelatin

DMF

I'll have a big roast in the oven for a couple of hours, with the juice collected in a glass jar, put in the freezer so the "top" will form the fat which I discard and the gel (gelatin/gravy?) underneith. Now, about that "gel" - how would it compare, in composition, to say, Great Lakes Beef Gelatin, or even the hydrolysate stuff? Sure, nothing beats the real McCoy, but I'm really curious.

nwo2012

DMF said:
I'll have a big roast in the oven for a couple of hours, with the juice collected in a glass jar, put in the freezer so the "top" will form the fat which I discard and the gel (gelatin/gravy?) underneith. Now, about that "gel" - how would it compare, in composition, to say, Great Lakes Beef Gelatin, or even the hydrolysate stuff? Sure, nothing beats the real McCoy, but I'm really curious.

I think that it will be very comparable in terms of amino acid content if there is enough of it and plenty of joints etc.

Bruv

I have about a mug of homemade gelatin every day. Is this a good amount?

Ari

If the stuff you made at home turns into jello then it is going to be just fine. As far as knowing the nutritional content of a homemade broth/gelatin/soup, it's very tough, since there are too many variables.

One thing you could try is to buy the store gelatin, turn it into a solution of water + gelatin, and get it to be the same 'jellyness' as your homemade gelatin per unit of volume. This could be a good start to letting you know how much protein you may or may not have.

As far as I see it though, the homemade stuff is the 'real McCoy'. Everything else is asking you to put trust into someone else and their methods and processes.

Beef tendons... they are the way to go.

You know the homemade stuff is good when the gel is stiff enough to turn the pot over without anything falling out. But even without out, it's all worth eating.

Bruv

Ari said:
If the stuff you made at home turns into jello then it is going to be just fine. As far as knowing the nutritional content of a homemade broth/gelatin/soup, it's very tough, since there are too many variables.
I'm not a highly tuned athlete or really that up on the ins and outs of exactly what I need to be getting in the way of vitamins and minerals, so for now, as long as I know I'm getting about the right amount (not too much, not too little) of gelatin and don't need to be buying packs of it (which looks to be more trouble than it's worth down here) then I am happy. Thanks :D

jc.

Hi, everybody,

Noob to this, but I've been reading Ray Peat for a while. Seems like home made gelatin is the traditional way to get the goodies you want. A cup a day seems about right. Very soothing, especially during the coming fall and winter. I have bought the Great Lakes hydrolysate because I'm too lazy to make home made between roasts, and it is pretty easy to use, 'cause you don't have to let it set, etc. :2cents

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Eating Homemade Gelatin Raw Like Jello Instead Of Heating To Broth Gelatin 8
D Asking The Butcher For Bones(to make homemade gelatin) Broth, Stocks 14
A HCQ Homemade Recipe Recipes 0
L 2 INGREDIENT HOMEMADE ICE CREAM RECIPE Recipes 7
L Please Help, Homemade Topical Hair Cream Hair & Nails 14
Txchainsaw Carrot Salad With Homemade Ginger Syrup! Recipes 0
A Any Recipe For Homemade Antibiotic? Ask For Help or Advice 0
ddjd Homemade Copper Supplement, What To Dissolve It In? Ask For Help or Advice 48
D Powdered Gelatins Make Me Ill - Homemade Makes Me Healthy - Why/How? Diet 30
Xisca Emulsify Your Fats For Easier Digestion! Aka Homemade Mayonnaise And Mousse Recipes 23
C Are Homemade Fruit Extract Safe? Fruits 2
charlie Homemade Oral Rehydration Solution Recipes Ebola 3
J Homemade High-Protein Milk? Milk 11
J Guy gets most of his nutrition from homemade powdered shake The Ray Peat Forum Lounge 10
charlie Homemade Ricotta Cheese Recipes 55
G IBS-D Cured With Gelatin? Digestion, Gut Flora 3
G Premature Ejaculation Cured With Gelatin? Male Issues 3
G Beef Gelatin Taste Is Disgusting Gelatin 1
L Reliable Gelatin Powders Digestion 2
lyfe Gelatin Creme Brulee - FINALLY A Gelatin Recipe I LOVE To Eat Recipes 13
A Gelatin/Glycine In Ground Beef Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 7
lyfe Does Gelatin Need To Set Before Consumed? Gelatin 8
orewashin Why Would Gelatin Specifically Cause Me To Feel "wired"? Diet 4
wealthofwisdom Is Collagen As Good As Gelatin? Diet 15
wealthofwisdom Collagen Vs Gelatin? Diet 2
James Myatt Canned Gelatin Ask For Help or Advice 6
M Do You Feel A Difference From Taking Glycine Or Gelatin Or Aspirin? Ask For Help or Advice 5
Pieter Stress, Coffee, Wellbutrin, Sleep And Gelatin Blood Sugar 2
Hgreen56 Why Are Gelatin And Glycine Recommended If Glycine Increases Serotonin Levels? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 10
Rosiemax14 Gelatin Danny Roddy 0
James Myatt Hydrolised Collagen/gelatin Allergic Response Ask For Help or Advice 3
D Anyone NOT Do Well While Taking Gelatin - What Reactins/Symptoms? Symptoms, Causes 19
B Nothing But 1% Milk, Juices, Salt, And Gelatin? Ask For Help or Advice 32
berk Is This A Good Gelatin Supplement? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
D Gelatin's "Recommended Dosages" Way, Way Too High And Gelatin 39
D Vitamin C As Catalyst For Gelatin Necessary? Gelatin 1
_lppaiva Glycine As A Temporary Alternative To Gelatin, Since No Good Brands Are Available? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 29
ecstatichamster Gelatin Smelled Like A Meat Rendering Plant - Threw It Away Gelatin 19
Hans Collagen/gelatin Aids In Muscle Growth And Fat Loss Blogs 7
olive Gelatin Enhances Non-gene Iron Uptake, Glycine Does Not Scientific Studies 3
N Protein Needs With Gelatin And Rice - Except For Tryptophan Protein 5
L How Infrequently Can You Eat Gelatin? Gelatin 0
W Link To Ray Peat Gelatin And Orange Juice Recipe? Gelatin 3
S Does Gelatin HAVE To Be In Hot Water/heat? Gelatin 4
W Best Brand Gelatin 2019? Gelatin 23
johnwester130 A Must Read Article On Gelatin Gelatin 1
Cirion Peat Is Right About Amino Acids / Gelatin Gelatin 61
C My Gelatin Testimonial So Far Gelatin 4
johnwester130 Don't Forget To Supplement Tryptophan If You Take Gelatin Gelatin 3
johnwester130 Does Anyone Know Which Hormones Are In Gelatin Gelatin 4