Homeade Baby Formula As Back Up In Case Wife Struggles Producing Breast Milk

Jsaute21

I am tasked with the role of researching a healthy homeade formula concept in case my wife struggles with breast feeding (she is due in early July). Do any recent mothers/husbands/partners have any useful advice on this subject? Below are some questions that i am curious about. @haidut @tca300 @Blossom - curious in any informed parents opinion.

• do the requirements change for a newborn opposed to infant? Say 1 week old to 6 months?
  • I am thinking of using good quality milk, melting kerry gold butter, teaspoon coconut oil, gelatin & brewers yeast flakes or powder. Thoughts? I obviously don't want to use cod liver oil, sunflower oil and other PUFA garbage. Are probiotics truly necessary for gut flora?

RWilly

Just as an FYI - mother's milk doesn't have iron, but baby formula does. I think there are many issues with iron in baby formula.

Elize

There's a whole chapter in a wonderful Cookbook called Nourishing Traditions. You can get it from Amazon.

T

tca300

I Apologize greatly for not being present when you tagged me, and understand its probably too late for my experience to be potentially helpful.

My wife had twins 6.5 weeks premature in June of 2016. She was able to produce enough milk for a few months but afterwards decided to quit. We slowly mixed small amounts of goat and cows milk with her's and added more and more as time when on, until her milk was completely removed, then added a pure cream for a bit extra fat. I also started adding the yolk of a soft boiled egg to their diet probably around 6 months while using a high quality grape juice for more carbohydrates, ( they were sensitive to other fruits ).
I also started adding small amouts of liver to their diet ( boiled a small amount for a few minutes, then blended the liver with the water it was boiled in, until liquid, afterwards melting a small amount of butter and salt in it, serving it as a soup ).

Back
Top Bottom