Holy Basil, Saffron, Stinging Nettles

Saffron has serotonin reducing effects.

Serotonergic Neurotransmission

Crocins in saffron are thought to hinder 5-HT2C signalling due to antagonizing the effects of m-Chlorophenylpiperazine (mCPP), a serotonin receptor agonist,[18] in a rat model.[19]

So I think saffron is the better option to try.

For some odd reason Magnesium is causing me issues right now. It affects my sleep and collagen makes me itch all over. Odd that I get these reactions. Maybe my body is super hyperactive right now? The acupuncturist I went to sensed that I may have "hypo-immunity".
Magnesium binds to the Sex Hormone Binding Globulin, that can interfere with hormone transport if SHGB is low.
Collagen has a high Glycine content which binds to the GABA-a receptor, who are sensitized by the Benzo's, and so resulting in the itching symptoms I guess.

Last edited:
Niacin B3 appears to accelerate Benzo withdrawal together with GABA and vit C:
Niacin is used here, but niacinamide is recommended

Supplements Accelerate Benzodiazepine Withdrawal
A Case Report and Biochemical Rationale

by W. Todd Penberthy, PhD and Andrew W. Saul
(OMNS March 18, 2014) A middle-aged male had success rapidly reducing fast-acting alprazolam (Xanax) dosage by taking very high doses of niacin, along with gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) and vitamin C. The individual had been on 1 mg/day Xanax for two years, a moderate dose but a long duration. As a result, he had been presenting increased anxiety, personality changes, and ringing in the ears (tinnitus), all side effects likely due to long-term alprazolam use. Typical withdrawal from this drug would involve substitution medication, about a 10% dose reduction per week, and take a matter of months.[1] A fast withdrawal is a 12.5 to 25% reduction per week.[2] On very high doses of niacin, vitamin C, and also GABA, this individual reported being able to cut the dose 60% down to 0.4 mg in one week. The dose was reduced by 90% (to 0.1 mg/day) in less than a month. He reported residual anxiety, but that it was substantially less than when fully medicated. After a total of five weeks, the medication intake was zero, with minimal residual anxiety.

Dosage
Niacin doses were between 6,000 and 12,000 mg/day. The individual reported reduced anxiety when taking the highest levels of niacin. Bowel-tolerance levels of vitamin C were taken daily, along with 750 mg of GABA twice daily. The individual also drank a quart of beet/cabbage soup broth daily for the first week, took 400 mg magnesium citrate/day, and took sublingual methylcobalamin (hi-absorption B-12), 5,000 mcg twice a week. During the initial total withdrawal from alprazolam, intake of GABA was 750 mg three times daily. The patient experienced side effects of daily but manageable anxiety. He also reported occasional nausea, possibly attributable to the GABA and almost certainly attributable to the extremely high niacin intake. He experienced increased frequency of urination, especially at night. Evening niacin doses as inositol hexaniacinate (a semi-sustained release, no-flush niacin) reduced nighttime urination. The individual used regular flush niacin about three-quarters of the time; inositol hexaniacinate constituted the balance. Dosage was divided into eight to ten 1,000 mg 8-10 such doses in 24 hours. Niacinamide was specifically not used, as its nausea threshold is low (under 6,000 mg day).
link

Last edited:
OP
J

June

Benzo's downregulates the GABA receptors, to upregulate the GABA-a receptors again there are some natural herbs possible:
Kudzo, and ginkgo biloba.

Stinging nettle root, but not the leaf, have anti androgen and anti estrogen abilities that could influence hormone metabolism so that it increases pregenelone, resulting in higher libido. pregnenolone blocks the stress hormones.

Stinging nettle may or may not be what I need. I also have higher androgen levels which I forgot about but wasn't officially diagnosed as having PCOS. This is getting more interesting by the minute.

Regarding the serotonin, I have been off SSRIs for 4.5 years. Im sure it would have stabilized a bit before this setback I recently had?

Stinging nettle may or may not be what I need. I also have higher androgen levels which I forgot about but wasn't officially diagnosed as having PCOS. This is getting more interesting by the minute.

Regarding the serotonin, I have been off SSRIs for 4.5 years. Im sure it would have stabilized a bit before this setback I recently had?
I would not recommend the stinging nettle root after benzo's coz it increases Pregnenolone that is agonist of GABAa (positive allosteric modulator) instead you want Pregnenolone Sulphate, which is opposite, antagonistic to GABAa and can shift action to GABA-b which is less sedative, so the GABA-a is less triggerd and can re-balance, in theory. Kudzu and ginkgo should do the same.

I think a couple of month or a year after long term SSRi is enough to be back in homeostasis / balance. But you could be left with permanent changes in neuron partitioning, like adrenergic neurons can take over serotonin so they make half adrenalin half serotonin, as seen with fluoxetine / prozac. In my case that made me more calm and less angry, but somewhat less assertive.

Texon

I know flush niacin use is controversial on this forum but it is detoxifying and Abraham Hoffer MD psychiatrist summed it all up by saying, "If you want to live a long time take niacin." Here is an interesting reference.
What Happens When You Take Niacin - Benefits of Niacin - The Renegade Pharmacist

OP
J

June

I know flush niacin use is controversial on this forum but it is detoxifying and Abraham Hoffer MD psychiatrist summed it all up by saying, "If you want to live a long time take niacin." Here is an interesting reference.
What Happens When You Take Niacin - Benefits of Niacin - The Renegade Pharmacist

Thanks for the suggestion!! But..niacin is sort of related to why i’m in this predicament. Was given glutathione by naturopath that caused the bleeding. Niacin is a precursor to glutathione, so anything related naturally makes me step back. Though I have heard great things about it. Just not for a fragile/healing body like mine.

EDIT: I realized I didn’t detail why I was given the birth control pills by gynocologist. My naturopath gave me glutathione to detox my body after going through 4.5 yrs of withdrawal healing from benzos. My brain wasn’t back to normal state so he thought he would give me something to detox my liver. Glutathione delayed my period and when I stopped it caused gushing for 3 months!! It was either bleed or take birth control pills. Neither were an acceptable option for my body. Acupuncture stopped the momentary bleeding but it needs to be used each month i bleed until estrogen normalizes.

Last edited:

Makrosky

Have you investigated rhodiola and cordyceps?

People have to understand that herbs are traditionally used in combinations, not alone. And when they are used alone are for treating an accute thing for a short period of time. For instance, If it raises serotonin but kills the deadly pneumococus on your lungs, I think it is a good deal.

Traditional chinese medicine and ayurvedic formulas can have from 6 to 20 herbs per formula.

Also keep in mind scientific papers are not grasping all the effects a herb is doing on the body.

Last edited:
OP
J

June

Have you investigated rhodiola and cordyceps?

People have to understand that herbs are traditionally used in combinations, not alone. And when they are used alone are for treating an accute thing for a short period of time. For instance, If it raises serotonin but kills the deadly pneumococus on your lungs, I think it is a good deal.

Traditional chinese medicine and ayurvedic formulas can have from 6 to 20 herbs per formula.

Also keep in mind scientific papers are not grasping all the effects a herb is doing on the body.

Thanks! Yes I am very aware of the traditional chinese and ayurvedic medicine, since I am of asian descent :) . I may have a solution to my problem and it doesn’t involve these herbs. It may be calcium d glucarate/DIM as they seemed to make the issues vanish. BUT it has its own set of problems as I seem to experience major Detox or herx experience on them. Maybe minute dosing is the answer? Please take a look at my other thread!

Help! Raw Carrots For Estrogen