Holly Holm beat Ronda Rousey because she trains at high altitude in the New Mexico mountains - High

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rightagain :mrgreen:

kiran

Thats great. This is how stuff like high altitude training gets exposure.

YuraCZ

Holly is completely different level fighter than Ronda. Ronda is all hype..

J

James IV

That's a bit harsh, Ronda is a solid fighter. Anyone that trains can see that. Overly cocky? Probably. But I think that's part of the "persona," and it sells tickets. You don't go to the Olympics on hype.

YuraCZ

James IV said:
post 115189 That's a bit harsh, Ronda is a solid fighter. Anyone that trains can see that. Overly cocky? Probably. But I think that's part of the "persona," and it sells tickets. You don't go to the Olympics on hype.
She is maybe good in judo. But she has zero stand up fight skills. Holly was her first opponent with first class female kickboxing and you saw what happened... Btw you obviously don't understand how important it is for Dana White. Have UFC mega superstar in the movies, shows etc.. where she promotes UFC. It brings to the UFC epic money. Ronda was "champ""for the long time, but as I said. Holly was her first opponent with world class fighting skills..

Last edited by a moderator:

jaa

That's not why she beat Rousey. Footwork, technique, skill, and a great gameplan allowed her to beat Rousey. Training at altitude helped with her cardio, but that wasn't a factor for Holm over 6 minutes anyway.

jaa

YuraCZ said:
post 115178
Postby YuraCZ » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:13 am

Holly is completely different level fighter than Ronda. Ronda is all hype..

Get out of here. Rousey was overhyped, and not very well rounded, but that doesn't take away from her incredible achievements.

FWIW I bet on Holm as a slight underdog in the rematch. I don't think it's inconceivable that Ronda could come back and beat her, especially if she changes a few things up with her camp, which she said she won't do.

Integral

Ronda beat some tough fighters man, she's certainly a very able athlete, it's just Holm really is a level above!

CoolTweetPete

Ronda lost to Holly because of her arrogance.

Holly is a world champion boxer, and Ronda attempted to box with her because her corner told her she could out-box her. I don't think conditioning was an issue in that fight. Ronda has excellent conditioning, and the fight only went to the beginning of the 2nd round (5 round fight).

She will likely try to take the next fight (probably at UFC 200 on July 9) to the ground. The riddle now is how to close the distance without getting kicked in the face again. :crazy:

mt_dreams

CoolTweetPete said:
post 115238 Ronda lost to Holly because of her arrogance.

Holly is a world champion boxer, and Ronda attempted to box with her because her corner told her she could out-box her.

Although somewhat truthful in that she actually thought she could box with her, she actually tried to take her down 3 times without success. So her only perceived move after that was to try and bum rush Holly, which didn't work out so well seeing as Holly's a highly skilled kickboxer. Ronda's judo is fantastic, but if you train on how to stop it, and stay composed during the fight, judo throws are quite easy to defend. there's a reason why that throw is not utilized often on the men's side. It shows more about just how weak (from a mma defense knowledge standpoint) the female divisions of mma are that every other female Ronda has fought has done the exact opposite of what someone is suppose to do when dealing with a judo thrower. Holly has been getting world class mma training off & on for her entire boxing career, she was more than prepared for the throws compared to any of Ronda's previous opponents.

The altitude definitely plays a part in some of the 25 minute fights in the past, but it didn't really help with someone like bj penn, and his lack of stamina. Then again he was just sleeping in a high altitude setting, not training in it.

J

James IV

YuraCZ said:
post 115193
James IV said:
post 115189 That's a bit harsh, Ronda is a solid fighter. Anyone that trains can see that. Overly cocky? Probably. But I think that's part of the "persona," and it sells tickets. You don't go to the Olympics on hype.
She is maybe good in judo. But she has zero stand up fight skills. Holly was her first opponent with first class female kickboxing and you saw what happened... Btw you obviously don't understand how important it is for Dana White. Have UFC mega superstar in the movies, shows etc.. where she promotes UFC. It brings to the UFC epic money. Ronda was "champ""for the long time, but as I said. Holly was her first opponent with world class fighting skills..

Thank you for making massive assumptions about my knowledge set, and telling me what I "obviously" dont understand... Very internety of you.

You're opinions are yours. However, I think it would be impossible to make it to the level Rousey is at, purely on hype. Kimbo Slice was all hype, and that was immediately made clear as soon as he stepped into the ring with an even slightly trained fighter. Rousey overhyped? Possibly. But all hype, I don't think so.

jaa

mt_dreams said:
Although somewhat truthful in that she actually thought she could box with her, she actually tried to take her down 3 times without success. So her only perceived move after that was to try and bum rush Holly, which didn't work out so well seeing as Holly's a highly skilled kickboxer. Ronda's judo is fantastic, but if you train on how to stop it, and stay composed during the fight, judo throws are quite easy to defend. there's a reason why that throw is not utilized often on the men's side. It shows more about just how weak (from a mma defense knowledge standpoint) the female divisions of mma are that every other female Ronda has fought has done the exact opposite of what someone is suppose to do when dealing with a judo thrower. Holly has been getting world class mma training off & on for her entire boxing career, she was more than prepared for the throws compared to any of Ronda's previous opponents.

The altitude definitely plays a part in some of the 25 minute fights in the past, but it didn't really help with someone like bj penn, and his lack of stamina. Then again he was just sleeping in a high altitude setting, not training in it.

I agree with this completely.