Holidaying At Altitude, Does It Have A Positive Effect On Metabolism Or Thyroid?

What does that even mean lol. At sea level you don't experience it, the air is not 100% oxygen you know. And even when you get at sea level from high altitude, if you have adapted well and thoroughly, the good effects last from months, including being leaner and the improved myopia.

Yes but it is stressful to return to a less ideal environment.

I wouldn't say it's stressful, it's just getting to a less ideal envirornment, yes. But if you're healthy and produce/retain adequate amounts of CO2 you'll be fine (although altitude living is always beneficial and protective). A stressed individual that hyperventilates will return to the previous situation, but it takes about 2 years for it to fade quite a bit, so just going down won't be stressful as soon as you do it.

Optimus

How would one place benefits of living at good altitude for a month or regular bag breathing on a scale of 1 to 10?

nikolabeacon

Were you ever in a city in a high altitude area?
No. Probably it would make a difference. I think having water surface such as lake or nearby sea even in non populated area would also make a difference.

Last edited:

yerrag

How would one place benefits of living at good altitude for a month or regular bag breathing on a scale of 1 to 10?
I'd like to know the answer as well.

I also think that if you're able to get a restful sleep each night, it would be very helpful. In Protective CO2 and aging , Ray has this to say:

During the rapid-eye-movement (dreaming) phase of sleep, breathing is inhibited, and the level of carbon dioxide in the tissues accumulates. In restful sleep, the oxygen tension is frequently low enough, and the carbon dioxide tension high enough, to trigger the multiplication of stem cells and mitochondria.

Given that sleeping is already a third of our life, getting restful sleep to get the benefits of CO2 is something that you can already do everyday, anywhere. It helps a lot to sleep with your mouth closed (a closed mouth limits breathing to the nose, which is a better way to breath as it helps retain carbon dioxide). This is something I learned from Buteyko.