Holidaying At Altitude, Does It Have A Positive Effect On Metabolism Or Thyroid?

Juan_

I have been reading several threads on the subject of altitude but I still don't have a clear idea about whether it is therapeutic or not.
I have a slow metabolism. Will staying roughly one month at a high altitude location help me fix my metabolism, hormonal balance and thyroid activity? Could it rather worsen the problem? Any opinions?
Has anybody had any personal experience with altitude?
Thank you for your assistance.

Ray Peat says coming back down is a big stress, you would have to try and see what the net effect is.

OP
J

Juan_

Ray Peat says coming back down is a big stress, you would have to try and see what the net effect is.

Thank you for your reply!
I had the idea (maybe wrong) that the stressful part was going up.
I had figured it up like this: you go up to an elevated place, your body adapts to altitude by increasing metabolism, heart rate and thyroid activity among other things. Perhaps you suffer a bit of mountain sickness the first days. Then after staying for some weeks you come back down again and those benefits remain at least for several months before your body readapts to low altitude (a bit like sunbathing and tanning during summer).

I'm aware though that this might be an unreal expectation. That's why it would be great if somebody could offer some personal experience on this.

Thank you for your reply!
I had the idea (maybe wrong) that the stressful part was going up.
I had figured it up like this: you go up to an elevated place, your body adapts to altitude by increasing metabolism, heart rate and thyroid activity among other things. Perhaps you suffer a bit of mountain sickness the first days. Then after staying for some weeks you come back down again and those benefits remain at least for several months before your body readapts to low altitude (a bit like sunbathing and tanning during summer).

I'm aware though that this might be an unreal expectation. That's why it would be great if somebody could offer some personal experience on this.

Both should be stressful.

nikolabeacon

ALTITUDE

He said here that positive effects last for some time after being at high altitude but I agree that it can also cause huge stress when coming back similar to explanation in that 2.thread especially if its above 5000 or 6000ft...but it is probably also if someone is hypothyroid

1) How long does it take to reap benefits?
RP---During the first couple of weeks, the body usually has stress reactions that have to settle down, then the improvement continues for years. A couple of months at altitude will usually cause changes that last for several months even at lower altitude.

I noticed this stress as not being able to fall asleep easily first couple of days but after several days sleep quality improves and i need less time to sleep than usuall to feel rested(at first i thought it is cortisol but it is not...it is from CO2) ....I haven t noticed reverse...

And he said here this negative side about (hypothyroid) people going to a high altitude

Hypothyroid and high altitude

I haven't noticed stress after spending 2-3 months at just 1600-1700m and than going back to only 200...But i have seen that older people that are living at high altitudes for a long time when they go down experience huge stress response ..some older people died quickly after that...

nikolabeacon

Probably if it was higher altitude there would be some stress but i am nkt sure maybe 1700 -200 is not enough of a difference to cause stress response

Ray Peat talked about this long living guy who died after coming down from the mountains but I can't remember which radio episode. Anyway, you will probably feel better if you go than if you don't.

nikolabeacon

Yeah i feel good after spending some time in the mountains but i sometimes get seriously depressed there...

OP
J

Juan_

Thanks, nikolabeacon. I hadn't read the first link and it's very informative. I think I'll give it a try for one month at a 5000-5600 feet location and see what happens.

FredSonoma

Yeah i feel good after spending some time in the mountains but i sometimes get seriously depressed there...

Interesting - like feeling really negative about everything depressed? Or like very lazy, want to do nothing but nap and mope depressed? I know those aren't completely different lol

nikolabeacon

Interesting - like feeling really negative about everything depressed? Or like very lazy, want to do nothing but nap and mope depressed? I know those aren't completely different lol

Just some kind of subbtle emptiness that is bothering me...esspecially around bed time

nikolabeacon

Maybe there's too little to do there?

Yes it is good explanation and i saw that thread about suicidal rate and altitude but these kind of emptiness and feelings I get in the mountains are very specific type...and usually I am not alone there and am busy doing some things or reading....But i never get that feeling in the city even if I am spending several days in a row indoors just being sedentary reading....it is like my brain is aware that in the city lot of things are happening around me or something like that dont know

FredSonoma

Yes it is good explanation and i saw that thread about suicidal rate and altitude but these kind of emptiness and feelings I get in the mountains are very specific type...and usually I am not alone there and am busy doing some things or reading....But i never get that feeling in the city even if I am spending several days in a row indoors just being sedentary reading....it is like my brain is aware that in the city lot of things are happening around me or something like that dont know
Were you ever in a city in a high altitude area?

That's totally false. He just says adaptation should be slow and one should not be very active the first couple weeks. It's good to start from a place that is between 1500 and 2000m, before going higher. (I live at high altitude and have researched it extensively)

That's totally false. He just says adaptation should be slow and one should not be very active the first couple weeks. It's good to start from a place that is between 1500 and 2000m, before going higher. (I live at high altitude and have researched it extensively)

So also putting on a mask of 100% oxygen is totally not stressful?

Herbie

I remember Ray saying in an interview something along the lines of...going up 1000 meters in a day breaks capillaries but can't remember which interview I know it was a kmud one.

tara

I have a slow metabolism. Will staying roughly one month at a high altitude location help me fix my metabolism, hormonal balance and thyroid activity? Could it rather worsen the problem? Any opinions?
It's being adapted to altitude that can be protective, I think. Getting adapted can be more or less stressful and difficult, depending on one's state. In extreme cases, unsurmountably so (i.e. fatal). If you feel sick, the safest thing is to come down again quickly.
I think walking up slowly reduces the risk of getting overwhelmed by the sudden change?
If you can handle going up OK, which, depending on how high, many people can, my guess is it would do good?

So also putting on a mask of 100% oxygen is totally not stressful?

What does that even mean lol. At sea level you don't experience it, the air is not 100% oxygen you know. And even when you get at sea level from high altitude, if you have adapted well and thoroughly, the good effects last from months, including being leaner and the improved myopia.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals