Holding My Breath Stops My Hair Shedding

lampofred

So you just take a large breath (more than a standard breath) and hold until it starts to feel uncomfortable?

Inhale through one nostril, hold, and exhale through the other nostril. If you Google "nadi shodana" you'll find the basic process, except in nadi shodana there is no retention.

Scenes

I've been trying it, quite enjoy it. What's the reasoning for the single alternate nostril breathing? OP of this thread clearly wasn't doing that.

One downside is I get a bit of stomach muscle tightness on the exhale after a long hold. Is this an issue at all? Hard to know how long I should be holding for, given I'm nowhere near 2 mins like you and OP.
@lampofred @TheSir tagging you here as well for a comment you made elsewhere about stomach tightness during breathing exercises.

TheSir

I've been trying it, quite enjoy it. What's the reasoning for the single alternate nostril breathing? OP of this thread clearly wasn't doing that.

One downside is I get a bit of stomach muscle tightness on the exhale after a long hold. Is this an issue at all? Hard to know how long I should be holding for, given I'm nowhere near 2 mins like you and OP.
@lampofred @TheSir tagging you here as well for a comment you made elsewhere about stomach tightness during breathing exercises.
For breathing retraining complete relaxation is required. After the inhale you just relax your diaphragm and that's the exhale. But for CO2 conditioning it shouldn't matter that much. In order to achieve higher levels of air hunger it's usually necessary for the stomach to tighten up a little.

Filipono

Try this breath-holding exercise, it's by far the best I've tried:
Now in the nine-step bottled wind practice, there are four phases performed for each of the nine rounds of practice. These four phases are:

1. Slowly drawing wind (air) into the lungs
2. Fully filling the lungs as much as possible as if they were a bottle or vase
3. Holding the air inside for as long as possible while remaining relaxed
4. Quickly releasing the air from the lungs, expelling it like an arrow

One such round is performed three times for the left nostril, three times for the right nostril, and three times for both open nostrils. This makes a total of nine rounds, hence the name of "nine-step" vase breathing practice.

The Nine Step Bottled Wind Pranayama Practice

There are more detailed instructions in the link. Enjoy :)