Holding Breath And CO2

Aymen

Every summer when i go to swim , i usually practise holding my breath under water for about a minute , the more i can take a deep breath the more i can stay under water ..
is it a good and safe way to get CO2 ?

TeaRex14

It would be akin to the buteyko breathing method, so it might have some level of effectiveness. Peat isn't a fan of the breathe less methods though, and there's a good reason why. Increasing CO2 at the expense of oxygen isn't really the goal. Carbon dioxide and oxygen share a symbiotic relationship, when we lack the carbon dioxide component, we can no longer transport oxygen effectively to all the cells.

lampofred

Buteyko aka not breathing when your lungs are empty of oxygen is not good for you in the long-run (as Peat says), but inhaling a full breath of air and holding that for as long as you can so that both oxygen and CO2 are maximized works exactly like thyroid.

Inaut

Buteyko aka not breathing when your lungs are empty of oxygen is not good for you in the long-run (as Peat says), but inhaling a full breath of air and holding that for as long as you can so that both oxygen and CO2 are maximized works exactly like thyroid.

I read a similar post from you some time ago and I tend to agree. It's a good feeling. Thanks for clarifying the buteyko breathing issue as well.

I don't really agree that Buteyko "isn't good for you."

It has been very good for me and others. It has been a life saver.

If you hold your breath and exercise and want more air but you can't get it, you are building up air hunger and this is healthy.

gabys225

Wearing a surgical mask allows you to breathe normally while inhaling a small portion of the exhaled co2 that wasn't pushed past the filter. I notice higher temps when I wear one and increased pulse, and since you draw in air normally there's really no oxygen restriction. It works for me, may be worth experimenting with.

Wearing a surgical mask allows you to breathe normally while inhaling a small portion of the exhaled co2 that wasn't pushed past the filter. I notice higher temps when I wear one and increased pulse, and since you draw in air normally there's really no oxygen restriction. It works for me, may be worth experimenting with.

an excellent idea.

lampofred

I don't really agree that Buteyko "isn't good for you."

It has been very good for me and others. It has been a life saver.

If you hold your breath and exercise and want more air but you can't get it, you are building up air hunger and this is healthy.

Wasn't saying air hunger (aka CO2 build up) isn't good for you. I was saying it's bad in the long-run if unaccompanied by oxygen (in which case it will shift brain development in a way that reduces coordination between mind and body and increases rigidity), but is very good for you if accompanied by oxygen.

OP
A

Aymen

have you tried exercising with altitude masks ?

OP
A

Aymen

ok so if i inhale through my nose a full breath of air and holding that for as long as i can , it will increase my CO2 , but what about exhaling , is it better with the nose or mouth in this case?

tankasnowgod

have you tried exercising with altitude masks ?

I have tried both altitude and surgical masks, and surgical masks are the winner, hands down. They are cheaper and don't restrict the volume of air you breathe, unlike those altitude masks. Exercising with those altitude masks is a dangerous proposition. I think the altitude masks could be useful if you are doing firefighter or military training and might need to wear a gas mask, but even that training should be done with qualified supervision, due to potential risks of fainting and oxygen starvation. I see no similar risks to surgical masks.

lampofred

ok so if i inhale through my nose a full breath of air and holding that for as long as i can , it will increase my CO2 , but what about exhaling , is it better with the nose or mouth in this case?

I think in general it's better to nose breath, but I don't think it really matters in the scenario you are talking about (how to exhale after holding your breath). All I was trying to say is that building CO2/breathing less with an empty lung will dissociate mind from body and strengthen you in a rigid way by making you not feel your emotions, but building CO2 with a full breath of air will strengthen you while keeping you in tune with your body.

Beastmode

ME:
From an exercise standpoint, does holding your breathe after a full exhalation differ in short or long term benefit compared to holding your breathe with a full inhalation?

I do bag breathing already and looking for other ways via breathing exercises that can help increase my CO2 and improve my health.

RAY PEAT:
The signal to breathe depends on the blood gas concentration; the urge comes earlier after the exhalation.

Lizb

Every summer when i go to swim , i usually practise holding my breath under water for about a minute , the more i can take a deep breath the more i can stay under water ..
is it a good and safe way to get CO2 ?

As a young adult I took the life saving qualification for work every two years. We were taught then the dangers of prolonged breath holding underwater, and never to allow anyone to partake of this practice in our pools. Pushing the breath hold can lead to black out - this is how free divers die.

Unfortunately there are a number of young men now dead after following the Wim Hof method.

I notice that Wim Hof himself did on a video I watched, declare that it wasn't always safe to do this, and being in and around water was one of the warnings. However, I don't believe he has done enough to warn about this, thus we have dead young men.

Buteyko is different. It should only be done with the guidance of a practitioner. It has limits and is done in stages ensuring that oxygen is increased safely and gradually by the presence and catalyst of co2. Buteyko is not hyperventilation.

gabys225

an excellent idea.

I was driving the other day thinking about this because when I wear a surgical mask I always have the indentations from the outline of the mask against my skin for several minutes afterwards. I think about the pressure there and the effects of reduced circulation in those areas.

Another option might be a motorcycle helmet. I don't know how well-ventilated they are, but I bet that's an easy fix, and some models might be even more comfortable than a mask.

This also may work really well for people with large noses.

Hgreen56

It would be akin to the buteyko breathing method, so it might have some level of effectiveness. Peat isn't a fan of the breathe less methods though, and there's a good reason why. Increasing CO2 at the expense of oxygen isn't really the goal. Carbon dioxide and oxygen share a symbiotic relationship, when we lack the carbon dioxide component, we can no longer transport oxygen effectively to all the cells.

you wrong..

Attachments

• breath in a bag, it's the same thing as holding your breath.png
    breath in a bag, it's the same thing as holding your breath.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 114
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals