Hold Out Hope For Tooth Re-mineralization Or Go To Dentist?

tara

Westside PUFAs said:
I'm sure that good nutrition helps teeth, but a certain decay on a certain tooth can get past the point of no return, no matter what you eat or take, and it's those decays that should be fixed by a dentist.
I agree. I have read a very small number of stories of remineralisation of teeth, but I don't think any of them were in the face of active decay.

andvanwyk

I've had troubles with teeth starting young and then things got much worse after turning vegan when i was 16(I was vegan for 5 years). I'm now 29, have lost three molars with almost all the rest of my teeth having fillings of some kind. I only really started drinking dairy about two years ago. A liter or so a day of goat milk or low fat cow's milk. I was pretty much dairy free before that. When I saw my dentist in November last year he said that my teeth had dramatically improved compared to 2 years prior, before I started with the dairy. He said keep doing what you're doing, it's working, your teeth are stronger and not decaying so easily. I can say almost for a fact that if I had known this earlier in life I would have saved myself a lot of problems with regards teeth. My teeth feel a lot more solid in my mouth than 2 years ago.

I don't do many supplements. I take 150mg aspirin a few times a week and I find 95%+ of most other supplements don't make me feel good so I get what I can from diet. I sunbathe 20-30 minutes a day around midday whenever it is sunny for vitamin d. I eat spinach a few times a week for vitamin k.

Dairy seems to work better for me than eggshell calcium.

I hope that helps.

jyb

haidut said:
The dosage of each ingredient individually shown to provide some protection is 15mg methylene blue, 1,000mg niacinamide, 1,000mg aspirin, and 400mg caffeine.

A few mg's of cyproheptadine too? It's a bit trickier to use than those ones, because as a drug, there is a potential initial side effect (drowsiness). But, if one is going to get a lot of X-rays, then maybe its worth it...

haidut

Forum Supporter
jyb said:
haidut said:
The dosage of each ingredient individually shown to provide some protection is 15mg methylene blue, 1,000mg niacinamide, 1,000mg aspirin, and 400mg caffeine.

A few mg's of cyproheptadine too? It's a bit trickier to use than those ones, because as a drug, there is a potential initial side effect (drowsiness). But, if one is going to get a lot of X-rays, then maybe its worth it...

Yep, cyproheptadine or other histamine/serotonin antagonists should be helpful as well. Cyproheptadine is also a calcium blocker so that makes it even more relevant for radiation protection.

OP
F

freyasam

Yes, I have one big 250 watt incandescent, but I haven't been using it. Thought sunlight was as good or better.

Sunlight is good and the ultraviolet rays certainly don't penetrate as deeply as the red...but if it were me and I was estrogen dominant (which I think you are), I would not want any extra cellular excitation from the UV on top of the cellular destabilization that you will most certainly get from a dose of ionizing radiation to the head.

That's just my opinion, I'm no scientist....use lots of red light as soon as possible after x-ray, drown yourself in Progest-E before as well as after and bag breath several times a day. :2cents

Peata

Well, I went to dentist today and let them take their 4 xrays "we use digital now so it's less..." (exposure, radiation, didn't quite catch what they said). Whatever. I had caffeine and progest e before, and after I got home, did some caffeine, aspirin, progest e and red light. May use some niacinamide. I'm not po'd or worried or anything, I just do what I must and go on... Adding: mine was not for remineralization, this was a cleaning and I hadn't gone in 2 or 3 years. No cavities.

Peata

no thyroid collar, and i only thought about it when it was too late. :roll: they used the apron thing that goes from neck to thigh, but still it leaves a little gap under chin. Good idea on shining the red light on neck. it feels good.

Peata

Went to dentist today. I knew there would be xrays, 4 digitals. I used Lapodin before and had a cup of coffee and some antihistamine. In the dentist's chair, I used 2 globs of Progest E, then another one afterward. Also had two more cups of coffee, more Lapodin, aspirin, niacinamide. and shined red light on my teeth and thyroid. I did what I could, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Bad news, I have enamel erosion on some teeth. I am pretty sure this was due to my coke addiction which I kicked. There were too many times when I didn't rinse with baking soda after, just kept guzzling it all day. They are going to work on this soon, I guess sealing or filling.

Good news, my gums are in great shape, the hygienist didn't have to do much work at all, and no cavities.

lindsay

You probably shouldn't listen to me, because I haven't had my teeth cleaned or been to a dentist in about 4 years. That being said, I had severe tooth decay during my vegetarian and under-eating years and have found that my teeth have strengthened quite a lot since I began adding dairy and vitamin K back into my routine. I specifically have a preference for cheese and cream when it comes to dairy. And I take at least 5,000 mg of Vitamin K2 every day.

I wouldn't say my teeth are awesome - and they definitely need a cleaning - but they feel much better than they did 3+ years ago. Much stronger and the enamel even seems better.

However, if I had a cavity or severe issue with my teeth, I wouldn't be opposed to getting it filled, so long as you aren't getting the mercury fillings. They can usually spot cavities without x-rays. And if you are female, you may be able to avoid them by saying there is a possibility you are pregnant (just a suggestion?)

Anyhow, best wishes to you and your pearly whites :)

Atalanta

You probably shouldn't listen to me, because I haven't had my teeth cleaned or been to a dentist in about 4 years. That being said, I had severe tooth decay during my vegetarian and under-eating years and have found that my teeth have strengthened quite a lot since I began adding dairy and vitamin K back into my routine. I specifically have a preference for cheese and cream when it comes to dairy. And I take at least 5,000 mg of Vitamin K2 every day.

I wouldn't say my teeth are awesome - and they definitely need a cleaning - but they feel much better than they did 3+ years ago. Much stronger and the enamel even seems better.

However, if I had a cavity or severe issue with my teeth, I wouldn't be opposed to getting it filled, so long as you aren't getting the mercury fillings. They can usually spot cavities without x-rays. And if you are female, you may be able to avoid them by saying there is a possibility you are pregnant (just a suggestion?)

Anyhow, best wishes to you and your pearly whites :)

Do you mean that you take 5000mcg(which is actually 5mg) of K2 per day?

Also, do you take vitamin D supplements?

Jib

I've been using MI paste.
You can find it online.

Has some questionable ingredients (like titanium dioxide). But the Recaldent absolutely helps. It's formulated specifically to remineralize the teeth with calcium and phosphates. My teeth are not in good shape and I'm willing to ingest some not-so-friendly substances for the sake of helping them heal. You rub a pea sized amount on your teeth, move it around with your tongue, keep it in your mouth for at least a few minutes, then spit it out. You don't rinse afterwards. You can use it multiple times a day, but if you're using it once a day it's best to use it at bedtime.

Dr. Perio's toothbrushes are also my personal favorite. Squigle Tooth Builder is a decent toothpaste and is what I use regularly when I'm not using simple magnesium oil sprayed on the toothbrush.

thegiantess

For the love of God go to the dentist! I have seen this question asked many times over the years here and on other health related forums. There is no honor in enduring pain when there is a simple remedy. I avoided the dentist for like 12 years or more... Mostly bc I didn't have insurance at the time, but also bc I was always holding out hope that I could diet hack my way out of horrible dental health (due to years of veg/veganism and undereating). I was so wrong. I ended up having to get a root canal about 8 years ago, but even after that avoided dentist. Finally came to my senses about 2 years ago and went in. A few weeks of intensive visits for deep cleanings and those years of suffering are over. I now go every 6 months and my mouth is in great health. I could've saved myself so much discomfort!

lindsay

Do you mean that you take 5000mcg(which is actually 5mg) of K2 per day?

Also, do you take vitamin D supplements?

Ha ha! Yeah - whoops! I should have checked my label - wasn't sure if it was mcg or mg, but definitely mcg. I take between 5 and 10 mg perday (or 5 to 10 drops of Thorne K2). I used to use Carlson's brand, as it is cheaper, but there are some additives and so I have switched.

And no - I don't take Vitamin D. I eat a lot of dairy and I try to get enough sunlight daily and hope that's enough. Occasionally I apply a little topically, but I do not know enough about supplementing vitamin D and prefer to get that naturally since I can easily enough.

Peata

For the love of God go to the dentist! I have seen this question asked many times over the years here and on other health related forums. There is no honor in enduring pain when there is a simple remedy. I avoided the dentist for like 12 years or more... Mostly bc I didn't have insurance at the time, but also bc I was always holding out hope that I could diet hack my way out of horrible dental health (due to years of veg/veganism and undereating). I was so wrong. I ended up having to get a root canal about 8 years ago, but even after that avoided dentist. Finally came to my senses about 2 years ago and went in. A few weeks of intensive visits for deep cleanings and those years of suffering are over. I now go every 6 months and my mouth is in great health. I could've saved myself so much discomfort!
Do you get the xrays?

thegiantess

Do you get the xrays?

I do the once a year X-rays, yes. I've had so few of them in my life time (my parents weren't big on taking me to the dentist) I feel like once a year now that I know better how to arm myself is okay.