"Histamine intolerance?"

FredSonoma

Back when I was Paleo, I felt like I had really bad "histamine intolerance." When I would eat fish / leftover meat / pickles / and sometimes even oranges, I would feel this weird tired, but anxious feeling 10-20 minutes after eating.

I feel like I am experiencing that recently - it reminds me of that feeling. Every time I eat, I feel really tired after for an hour or two.

I have recently been eating roasted red peppers, which have vinegar in them, which is high in histamine. I have also recently drastically cut my milk intake and been eating tons of cheese, which is high in histamine. I have also recently stopped cooking meat and been mostly eating organic "uncured" deli meat (roast beef) from Whole Foods, which I think is probably high in histamine.

So, the answer seems pretty obvious... stop eating this stuff!! But they have helped me a lot with convenience / cutting down liquids / and I just fkin LOVE the roasted red peppers... which I imagine means something. Is there a way to deal with this histamine intolerance in another way than just cutting out these foods?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I had histamine intolerance issues develop while on paleo that gradually improved once I started eating carbs again but it took several months and would flare up periodically for up to one year later. Farmers cheese and cottage cheese seemed to be fine for me when I was experiencing histamine issues since they are not aged. Although not related to histamine one thing I would check on the deli meats is to make sure they do not contain carrageenan. Surprisingly some of them actually do and that could cause a different set of issues.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Okay thanks Blossom!

Does anyone know if caffeine and aspirin have an effect on histamine? I read a study online that caffeine caused greater release of histamine.

milk

As you might know, cyproheptadine is an antihistamine. Which probably means you could give it a try, hope the forum experts back me up here.

OP
F

FredSonoma

milk said:
post 112533 As you might know, cyproheptadine is an antihistamine. Which probably means you could give it a try, hope the forum experts back me up here.

I've tried cypro... I love and hate it.

Last edited by a moderator: