Histamine intolerance explained through a Ray Peat prism

Andy316

I found another article that explains mast cells and histamine intolerance. It seems histamine itself can cause hypercalcemia:

Another piece to add to my puzzle. I need calcium, but can easily get too much of it.

Very informative site. But if Pancreatic insufficiency is the cause of Histamine problems, than there is no cure right? Would Vit K2 help with moving excess calcium deposited around Pancreas and Kidneys?

Elize

Andy for some reason I get bad body aches and heart palpitations from K2, Vitamins A and D too

OP
S

somuch4food

Very informative site. But if Pancreatic insufficiency is the cause of Histamine problems, than there is no cure right? Would Vit K2 help with moving excess calcium deposited around Pancreas and Kidneys?

I believe the body can heal itself of anything if we give it the opportunity. Getting into the healing threshold is tough though. You need to relieve as much stress as possible and rest a lot. Patience is also important.

I'm mostly done with supplements since I don't seem to react well to most of them. Occasional K2 and magnesium spray are the only remaining supplements I use.

OP
S

somuch4food

I have found that I'm really sensitive to folate in foods and folic acid fortification. That is the reason why I always felt depressed after eating many green vegetables.

Since I started avoiding the bigger sources of folate, my histamine issues have lessened. Folic acid is a big no om the SIGHI list of histamine foods.

reality

I have found that I'm really sensitive to folate in foods and folic acid fortification. That is the reason why I always felt depressed after eating many green vegetables.

Since I started avoiding the bigger sources of folate, my histamine issues have lessened. Folic acid is a big no om the SIGHI list of histamine foods.
I too cannot tolerate folic acid. If you have MTFHR problems then from what I’ve read folic acid can interfere with the use of the real active form of folate, since it needs to be converted but while it’s doing so can block the receptors using the active form. This can also then interfere with the use of b12 since they are both work together in the methylation cycle.

This will definitely worsen histamine problems due effecting methylation

Andy316

Andy for some reason I get bad body aches and heart palpitations from K2, Vitamins A and D too
Can attest to this side-effect too Elize with A and D. K2 MK7 Natto was a good supplement for me, my joint pains disappeared almost immediately on 1st dose but I stopped taking them immediately once I got this positive effect. I wander if over supplementation of VitD from yesteryears without sufficient k2 has caused a "Hypercalcemia" state thats affecting the pancreas or kidneys from working optimally and thus causing the hypothyroid state.

I believe the body can heal itself of anything if we give it the opportunity. Getting into the healing threshold is tough though. You need to relieve as much stress as possible and rest a lot. Patience is also important.

I'm mostly done with supplements since I don't seem to react well to most of them. Occasional K2 and magnesium spray are the only remaining supplements I use.
Agree spent so much $$$ on supplements almost all of them were absolutely useless for me. Which K2 form do you use Mk4 or MK7? I tried magnesium glycinate and epsom salts before, made my muscles twitch so bad had to stop. Magnesium doesnt agree with me reduces my already low cortisol further.

Andy316

When I (stupidly) started taking Jarrows Methyl B6/B9/B12 combo back in 2018 to fix my SIBO based on a youtube doctor recommendation, I turned into a raging monster. My family and me were both surprised and confused at my Dr. Jeckyl Mr. Hyde dual personality. Also anytime I used to have red lentils or black eyed beans, my rage/depression would come back. I have recently been proclaimed mildly autistic and reading the literature folate/folic acid is really bad for people on the autism specturm disorder.

Sergey

Have you thought that maybe most problems are related to fungal overgrowth?
I remember reading that high oxalates often correlate with fungal metabolites in urine tests and that many fungi produce oxalates (among other things).
If there is a significant overgrowth it would also create other deficiencies and strange negative reactions to most supplements which would just stimulate fungi growth.
And the issue is quite complex, with even different species of candida thriving on different micro/macro nutrients and being able to switch between them.

OP
S

somuch4food

Have you thought that maybe most problems are related to fungal overgrowth?
I remember reading that high oxalates often correlate with fungal metabolites in urine tests and that many fungi produce oxalates (among other things).
If there is a significant overgrowth it would also create other deficiencies and strange negative reactions to most supplements which would just stimulate fungi growth.
And the issue is quite complex, with even different species of candida thriving on different micro/macro nutrients and being able to switch between them.
I used to have nail fungus. It disappeared when I stopped eating the SAD way.

The Trying Low Oxalates group is of the opinion that fungus is an adaptation to high oxalates and not a cause of it. I like to believe the same. The bacteria that are there are there for a reason and if I can correct my imbalances my body will get rid of the bad guys.

Sergey

I used to have nail fungus. It disappeared when I stopped eating the SAD way.

The Trying Low Oxalates group is of the opinion that fungus is an adaptation to high oxalates and not a cause of it. I like to believe the same. The bacteria that are there are there for a reason and if I can correct my imbalances my body will get rid of the bad guys.
Sure. It just that it has been shown that many fungi are not simply present in the high oxalate environment. They do produce oxalic acid.

Just to cite one of the reviews on the topic:

"Oxalic acid is the most ubiquitous and common low molecular weight organic acid produced by living organisms. Oxalic acid is produced by fungi, bacteria, plants, and animals...
Indeed, fungi are well known producers of oxalic acid, while bacteria are considered oxalic acid consumers. However, this framework may need to be modified, because the ability of fungi to degrade oxalic acid and the ability of bacteria to produce it, have been poorly investigated. "

And yes, bacteria is always there for a reason, but reason might have nothing to do with oxalate, an oxalate can be just a downstream effect, of, say, too much carbs, too little thiamine.

I found this article that clearly explains the mechanics of histamine in relation to Ray Peat's findings. It has revived my interest in doing a Ray Peat diet that I had abandoned in the last few months from lack of results, mainly histamine and fruit issues.

My main issues were latent back pain, excessive hunger that was never satiated with fruit and waking up at night. Tired of it, I went on to other diets like low histamine, low oxalates, low vitamin A but also did not find it worked that well. I had convinced myself of issues with dairy, vitamin D and probably other stuff. This article explains the mechanism of histamine and how it applies within Ray Peat's research. I have resumed dairy and will hope for the best.

I'm willing to give this another try in light that my continued meat intake might have been the biggest problem. I thought I digested it well, but seeing numerous places that mention meat putrefaction creating amines, phenols, ammonia that are linked to sensitivities I have come to the conclusion that it is time I try severely restricting meat and maybe try a short protein fast (24h) as recommended by Nathan Hatch in his book.

I'm attaching the article since it's hidden on the website and could potentially disappear.
New member here. Wanted to mention that NAC ( which many are now taking to raise their glutathione levels - myself included- and many health practitioners recommending NAC against COVID) can raise your histamine levels. I‘ve read this in several studies. I couldn’t pinpoint my sudden histamine issues recently until I did some research on this. My continual stuffy nose, inability to breath deeply, asthma like symptoms seem to be connected to my recent taking of NAC supplements. Anyone who has recently taken NAC and thought they were doing themselves a favor by trying to raise their immunity, might reconsider taking this if you have histamine intolerance.