Hip Dysplasia in Dogs. Is it rickets?

Bingo

iMy lovely neighbor has a five year old dog with hip dysplasia. It weighs about 100 pounds. This woman is elderly and very sweet. Her dog is all the family she has left, and she is sorry to see the dog hurting. The dog can not walk much and is becoming grumpy, although it is a very good and well trained dog. The back end of the dog looks a size too smale for the front of the dog. I was thinking that hip dysplasia resembles rickets. I am not sure about dosing vitamin D to a dog. I think also large doses of oral progest E might be useful. Her vet says its genetic (of course) and nothing to do with those little burned balls of dog kibble. Although, as i have gotten closer with her she told me she scrambles three eggs every morning. One for her and two for the Dog! Has anyone had experience with hip dysplasia? Anyone seen it improve?

Don

Do the dogs get much sunlight ? or are they inside most of the time. I am not suggesting sunlight will cure them but could be "part" of the problem. My dog will bask in the sun for as long as she can take it depending on time of year and strength of the sun.

OP
B

Bingo

The dog does not get much sunlight. She is inside mostly.