Higher Muscle Mass Index (MMI) linked with lower mortality

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written about bodybuilders and muscular people in general having lower mortality, due to higher metabolism and ability to better metabolize harmful fats. This statement had been confirmed by several studies looking at BMI, but people with higher BMI have (on average) higher body fat and more muscle. This study looked at BMI and MMI and found that it is the higher MMI that is the likely cause of lower mortality.

http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-934 ... 7/abstract

"...Obesity (as defined by body mass index) has not been associated consistently with higher mortality in older adults. However, total body mass includes fat and muscle, which have different metabolic effects. This study was designed to test the hypothesis that greater muscle mass in older adults is associated with lower all-cause mortality...In adjusted analyses, total mortality was significantly lower in the fourth quartile of muscle mass index compared with the first quartile: adjusted risk ratio 0.81 (95% confidence interval, 0.71-0.91) and adjusted hazard ratio 0.80 (95% confidence interval, 0.66-0.97). This study demonstrates the survival predication ability of relative muscle mass and highlights the need to look beyond total body mass in assessing the health of older adults."

burtlancast

Re: Higher Muscle Mass Index (MMI) linked with lower mortali

Aren't muscular people known to have a more efficient immune system ?
I remember this fact when it was discovered; the reason was unknown.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

burtlancast said:
Aren't muscular people known to have a more efficient immune system ?
I remember this fact when it was discovered; the reason was unknown.

It's quite possible, I have seen studies on that too. But I think Ray would ascribe that to the higher muscle mass leading to better metabolism, leading to better immune system. Since the high BMI people (obese) also had lower mortality but poor immune system, I think it is the mass itself that is the factor here.

jyb

haidut said:
Ray has written about bodybuilders and muscular people in general having lower mortality, due to higher metabolism and ability to better metabolize harmful fats.

Do you think muscles could be somehow useful in absorbing harmful excess inflammatory proteins like trypto?

Maybe it's also a source of fuel (fat or carb stocked in muscles, or of protein when the body needs emergency fuel)?

Otherwise, I'm very cautious about cause-effect. Healthy metabolism means it's easier to build up muscles and maintain them. The association in itself doesn't warrant forcing oneself to go to the gym. But I think that should be clear for anyone following Peat and this forum.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals