Higher Metabolism = Hair Loss

OP
T

TNT

@Blossom , I can't eat eggs or liver, and I occasionally have raw goat milk, but I don't think that's enough to raise my Vitamin A, which is why I'm using Retinol.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Blossom , I can't eat eggs or liver, and I occasionally have raw goat milk, but I don't think that's enough to raise my Vitamin A, which is why I'm using Retinol.
Have you ever tracked your nutrition on Cronometer? I personally think sticking to the RDA on vitamin A (including beta carotene) would be wise until your metabolism improves. I’m not suggesting you restrict it but I don’t think A supplements should be necessary if you’re eating a good diet. Is that 25k IU topical?

Cirion

Sweet potatoes make it stupidly easy to get vitamin A. Just a single large sweet potato would likely get you all the vitamin A you would ever need per day. And sometimes I have several in a day!

OP
T

TNT

@Blossom , I get tons of Vitamin A from fruits and veggies, but that's in the form of beta carotene, and I have no idea how much, if any, of that is converting to retinol, which is why I supplement (I use Biotics Research Bio-Ae Mulsion Forte). Thank you for the link, but I have no idea what retinyl esters are.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Blossom , I get tons of Vitamin A from fruits and veggies, but that's in the form of beta carotene, and I have no idea how much, if any, of that is converting to retinol, which is why I supplement (I use Biotics Research Bio-Ae Mulsion Forte). Thank you for the link, but I have no idea what retinyl esters are.
It’s just another of many terms for vitamin A.

dreamcatcher

Thanx, @tankasnowgod . I use 10,000mcg/day of biotin and 2-5 Tbsp/day of gelatin. I used progesterone a long time, but stopped a few weeks ago, because it was making things worse. I haven't tried red light, but I did try a Violet Ray on my hair/scalp, and that also made it worse.
Are you using thyroid supplements? I think they might be helpful.

OP
T

TNT

Thanx, @Rosie . I get tons of calcium from food. And I've taken thyroid in the past, but it hasn't helped. Did your hair start coming back even before taking thyroid? And what sort of thyroid are you taking? And isn't the Peat diet supposed to help the thyroid?

Rafe

@foodandtheworld
I really liked that Gwyneth Olwyn link you posted.

It would explain a lot about how you could be looking worse (weight, thinning brittle hair, voracious appetite for starches, for ex) even after you (& everyone else) think you & Peat are so right, then you should be thinner, have beautiful hair & big energy & mood, but the process of getting metabolic health back is still at work & needs continuing support.

The temptation to stop or slow down on the excess nutrition gets big. The article has a good idea about why you shouldn’t.

Apparent fuel for critics. “If your metabolism is so good then why is your hair so bad?” Answ: “If your metabolism is so good then why are you eating 1600 calories a day?”

“Restriction is the enemy of everyone.” (Olwyn)
The time-to-recovery is aimed at very young people. But is very peaty for any age.

Cirion

I like what Gwyneth has to say, except for the fact she recommends eating "junk" foods during recovery. I can not get on board with that idea. Yes, lots of calories. Junk food... no. That will make you worse off in the end. Eating junk food is an easy way to get obese, and also an easy way to make your health even worse, despite a large amount of calories. After all, eating lots of junk foods is what ruins most peoples' health in the first place. If that worked we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic.

Onemillionzs

I would bet on this instance of hair loss being from vitamin A toxicity, and that you didn’t notice the shedding subsiding when you stopped taking it because it has been storing and building up.

OP
T

TNT

@Onemillionzs , is there any specific reason you think that about this particular situation or is it just because you think Vitamin A is bad in general?

Onemillionzs

@Onemillionzs , is there any specific reason you think that about this particular situation or is it just because you think Vitamin A is bad in general?

I don’t think Vitamin A is bad at all, but I think your supplementation of it in addition to what is likely plenty in your diet is what’s causing or at least contributing to your hair loss. Vitamin A is stored in the liver and builds up over time, and if you look at any of the number of physical ailments that are treated with a retinoid, you’ll see one of the side effects listed is hair loss. I don’t completely understand the mechanism at play, but I do know Vitamin A to be at the top of the list of “less is more” in terms of adverse reactions.

OP
T

TNT

The thing is, @Onemillionzs , when I stopped for a couple months, it didn't make any difference. And it muscle tests very strong for me. And the hair loss preceded Retinol supplementation (although Retinol could be exacerbating it, in theory). And I get very little dietary Retinol -- mostly just Beta Carotene from plants.

BigChad

How long have you been restricting PUFA? If not for long, it might just be that increasing your metabolism is causing your stored PUFA to form prostaglandins and toxic byproducts at an increased rate because of the increased heat and oxygen (I think this is why metabolism down-regulates in the first place in response to excess stored PUFA, to prevent damage). Aspirin and Vit E might help until your stored PUFA gets low enough that you can boost metabolism without causing damage. The same thing happened to me when I first took thyroid 3 years ago, before I had a chance to substantially restrict PUFA.

What happened when you took thyroid 3 years ago, did you get hypothyroidism symptoms , weight gain etc.
Does iodine supplemention in high doses do the same thing, cause prostaglandin formation, which is why megadoses of it cause hypo symptoms, hair loss etc

OP
T

TNT

Interesting, @BigChad . I didn't know iodine causes prostaglandin formation. I definitely have high prostaglandins, and anything more than 2 drops of Lugol's iodine makes my hair loss worse. When I took thyroid, I didn't have weight gain, but I did have increased hair loss.