Higher Metabolism = Hair Loss

Andy316

Interesting, @BigChad . I didn't know iodine causes prostaglandin formation. I definitely have high prostaglandins, and anything more than 2 drops of Lugol's iodine makes my hair loss worse. When I took thyroid, I didn't have weight gain, but I did have increased hair loss.

How is your hairloss symptoms now TNT, has anything helped? I am in the same boat as you anything that revs my metabolism through foods or supplements increases my hair loss (following a scalp itch).

Francisco

I've noticed that any time I rev up my metabolism, I get major hair loss. Any idea why this happens? Last year, after many years of low carbing, I switched to a high carb diet (most carbs through fruit). I feel tons better, and I'm delighted that I can eat way more calories without gaining weight, plus I sleep better, can put on more muscle, etc. But the hair loss is killing me. I'm a single woman, and my hair was my identity and pride. I thought maybe it was candida from the carbs, but I've noticed that anything else that revs me up (such as iodine, T3 supplementation, or C60, or acupuncture on my thyroid) also makes my hair fall out. Help!

Maybe when your metabolism increases more old hairs shed so new ones can begin growing.

OP
T

TNT

@Francisco , I don't think that's it, because the rate of losing hair is MUCH higher than the rate of new hairs growing. And the ones that are falling out are the healthy new hairs that have a black bulb (anagen phase) -- not the old ones (telogen phase) that should be getting ready to fall out.

DevilHands

I saw that your Vit D levels are 75. I am assuming this all comes from supplementation?

There are actually people who thinks that the sun is more than just Vit D. and Vit D in its supplement form is actually dangerous. (There's a fb group where they discuss it and share studies). I am starting to think that Dr. Peat might be wrong on this where he thinks its ok to supplement Vit D.

I've seen people who actually got regrowth and part of their regime was going out in the sun more while absolutely none on just supplementation. There's actually one in youtube where she said that she was diagnose with Vit D deficiency and it was causing her hair loss. She gave updates on following videos where she said she's experiencing regrowth from Vit D supplementation but frankly, I dont see any changes to her hair at all. I think she's having placebo or just doing it for the views.

Vit D supplements might be helpful if your levels are in the single digits but pass that you have to rely on the sun.