Higher heart rate predicts lower life satisfaction, poorer health, and lower labor market status

haidut

Forum Supporter

Taking the Pulse of Nations: A Biometric Measure of Well-being​

I am not sure why this is being posted in the "Anti-Peat" section. Higher heart rate, by itself, does not mean higher metabolism. In the absence of higher core temps, and lower TSH values, higher heart rate by itself is usually an indication of high adrenaline/cortisol, which is obviously not a sign of "well-being".

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

I am not sure why this is being posted in the "Anti-Peat" section. Higher heart rate, by itself, does not mean higher metabolism. In the absence of higher core temps, and lower TSH values, higher heart rate by itself is usually an indication of high adrenaline/cortisol, which is obviously not a sign of "well-being".
My bad if I used that tag incorrectly/inappropriately - my intention wasn’t to bash Peat at all. I’ve edited the thread to remove it.

You provide useful context though. I think many here are chasing a higher heart rate without that nuance. I know I’ve fallen into that trap myself in the past.

TheSir

I think many here are chasing a higher heart rate without that nuance. I know I’ve fallen into that trap myself in the past.
Don't feel too bad about it, Peat himself has been unfortunately ambiguous in what he has wrote about heart rate. As Haidut said, the findings of the study are not surprising, especially since in modern living conditions higher heart rate has stronger correlation to higher inflammation, higher stress and poorer physical fitness than to optimal thyroid functioning. I think that the overall trend is that the more efficient one's metabolism is, the lower their health rate will fall. In other words, as you ascend from sickness towards the physiological normal, your heart rate may increase, but once you begin to ascend from the physiological normal towards the psychological optimal (and beyond into supra-physiological states of health), your heart rate should begin to come down again.

Beastmode

Don't feel too bad about it, Peat himself has been unfortunately ambiguous in what he has wrote about heart rate. As Haidut said, the findings of the study are not surprising, especially since in modern living conditions higher heart rate has stronger correlation to higher inflammation, higher stress and poorer physical fitness than to optimal thyroid functioning. I think that the overall trend is that the more efficient one's metabolism is, the lower their health rate will fall. In other words, as you ascend from sickness towards the physiological normal, your heart rate may increase, but once you begin to ascend from the physiological normal towards the psychological optimal (and beyond into supra-physiological states of health), your heart rate should begin to come down again.
You used "supra-physiological" states a few times before. I think you associated it with breathing in a response to me.

What is your "working" definition of this?

TheSir

You used "supra-physiological" states a few times before. I think you associated it with breathing in a response to me.

What is your "working" definition of this?
You're right, I seem to fancy that word, lol. It refers to states that exist beyond what most would view as optimal or be satisfied with (6-7 hours of restful sleep, excellent digestion, energy and fitness, absence of sickness etc). These would be experienced at a 60s control pause, or the physiological normal as Konstantin Buteyko called it. Similar to having 98.6 temperature, a 60s CP would guarantee that the internal environment of your body was conducive to proper functioning of the metabolism. But this is just the baseline true physiological health, in the end there is no hard ceiling to how much your health can improve. If you keep pushing forward, some fantastic things will start to happen. Your need for sleep and food will gradually diminish, even to a point where they may cease to be every-day activities. You become able to digest almost anything, even small bones. Your own bones themselves become hard as steel. Your body will begin regenerating on increasingly more profound levels: moles will fall off, even re-growing parts of the body becomes possible (Peat has written about healthy children re-growing lost parts of a finger). Your capability for joy and bliss will keep increasing. ESP abilities may spontaneously develop. And so on. Think of all the qualities that separate a healthy person from a sick person, and then extrapolate these differences as far as you can, and you will get a good idea of what supra-physiological means.

Buteyko-Control-Pause-Breathing-Test.jpg

Beastmode

You're right, I seem to fancy that word, lol. It refers to states that exist beyond what most would view as optimal or be satisfied with (6-7 hours of restful sleep, excellent digestion, energy and fitness, absence of sickness etc). These would be experienced at a 60s control pause, or the physiological normal as Konstantin Buteyko called it. Similar to having 98.6 temperature, a 60s CP would guarantee that the internal environment of your body was conducive to proper functioning of the metabolism. But this is just the baseline true physiological health, in the end there is no hard ceiling to how much your health can improve. If you keep pushing forward, some fantastic things will start to happen. Your need for sleep and food will gradually diminish, even to a point where they may cease to be every-day activities. You become able to digest almost anything, even small bones. Your own bones themselves become hard as steel. Your body will begin regenerating on increasingly more profound levels: moles will fall off, even re-growing parts of the body becomes possible (Peat has written about healthy children re-growing lost parts of a finger). Your capability for joy and bliss will keep increasing. ESP abilities may spontaneously develop. And so on. Think of all the qualities that separate a healthy person from a sick person, and then extrapolate these differences as far as you can, and you will get a good idea of what supra-physiological means.

View attachment 35798
I don't know if a CP would correlate with this. Seems like it could be a stressor that one can possibly adapt too, but not necessarily thrive. There would have to be quite a few other metrics to determine if this is healthy or not.

I'd be interested in finding someone with that CP and good body temps, pulse, deep sleep, an abundance of energy that's not driven by adrenaline, etc.

Not knocking this "ideal," just curious how "supra-physiologic" relates to optimal health. I reckon it's a "give and take" relative to the life one desires to live.

Vileplume

The two periods in my life where I felt physically the worst, were the phases when I had my lowest and highest resting heart rates, respectively.

On carnivore in 2019-2020 I would get nightly notifications from my phone that I had an “emergency low” heart rate that at one point dropped to 33 bpm. This low HR corresponded with very low temperatures (once I registered 94.5 degrees F in the doctors office and he didn’t even bat an eye. At the time I had no idea about the metabolic implications of this.)

Then just last year, I had a resting heart rate of 110 or so and I also felt terrible during that phase. I was consuming lots of unripe fruit and meat—I was getting fat, had daily panic attacks every morning and afternoon, no sex drive at 29, and horrible digestion. Again a low temperature, despite the high heart rate.

High basal body temp has a stronger connection to wellbeing than does high heart rate, I think. And I think Peat and Broda Barnes agree on this too.

Now my HR is chill, maybe a bit low around 65-70 at rest. Switching all my meat to goat milk, and adding thyroid, and cutting out all unripe fruit—those things raised my temp. Still get cold hands though.

TheSir

I don't know if a CP would correlate with this. Seems like it could be a stressor that one can possibly adapt too, but not necessarily thrive. There would have to be quite a few other metrics to determine if this is healthy or not.
I don't understand what you are trying to say, sorry. Correlate with what? What exactly could be a stressor? What is healthy or not?
I'd be interested in finding someone with that CP and good body temps, pulse, deep sleep, an abundance of energy that's not driven by adrenaline, etc.
All of these will improve in tandem with increases in CP.

Beastmode

I don't understand what you are trying to say, sorry. Correlate with what? What exactly could be a stressor? What is healthy or not?

All of these will improve in tandem with increases in CP.
I don't think my CP has improved that much over the past 4-5 years, although my body temp, pulse, deep sleep, steady flow of energy, higher levels of empathy, improved memory, massively improved bowel movements, etc.

I imagine Wim Hof can do it longer than many of us here combined. He can do some supra-physiological things with his body, but I also wouldn't consider him healthy.

Never really used CP as a main feedback, but I'll check in on it more to see where I'm at.

TheSir

I don't think my CP has improved that much over the past 4-5 years
Never really used CP as a main feedback
'Thinking' won't be of much value if you have not actually kept track of your CP, since it is hard to estimate the level of one's minute ventilation. All of your symptoms indicate increased oxygen consumption, which would be reflected in CP. That being said, accelerated cellular co2 output due to improved health may result in CP not moving much in spite of actual tolerance to co2 raising.

Trevinski

The two periods in my life where I felt physically the worst, were the phases when I had my lowest and highest resting heart rates, respectively.

On carnivore in 2019-2020 I would get nightly notifications from my phone that I had an “emergency low” heart rate that at one point dropped to 33 bpm. This low HR corresponded with very low temperatures (once I registered 94.5 degrees F in the doctors office and he didn’t even bat an eye. At the time I had no idea about the metabolic implications of this.)

Then just last year, I had a resting heart rate of 110 or so and I also felt terrible during that phase. I was consuming lots of unripe fruit and meat—I was getting fat, had daily panic attacks every morning and afternoon, no sex drive at 29, and horrible digestion. Again a low temperature, despite the high heart rate.

High basal body temp has a stronger connection to wellbeing than does high heart rate, I think. And I think Peat and Broda Barnes agree on this too.

Now my HR is chill, maybe a bit low around 65-70 at rest. Switching all my meat to goat milk, and adding thyroid, and cutting out all unripe fruit—those things raised my temp. Still get cold hands though.
Thanks for the anecdotes. Which thyroid supplement are you using?

Rafe

One of the underlying principles of RP is that the indicators (heart rate, temp, maybe total cholesterol, some of you added CP in this thread) can be basically deceptive: they can indicate either a stress-metabolism or an ascendingly, increasing health state.

Context is the explainer. Even with context you can’t always be certain what’s happening at the cellular level. So you keep observing, keep experimenting. I wish I were better at observing. Observing alone takes a lot of energy, stripped of all the cultural messaging.

On top of that, everything is developing, changing in response to the changing environment. Every minute.

In a terrible environment (war, famine) it would be good to have the metabolism slow down a little. So there is some relative meaning. But it’s not all relativistic either.

OP’s example is probably capturing stress. I agree, Wim Hof has extraordinary coping skills, but I don’t see him as healthy.

Vileplume

Thanks for the anecdotes. Which thyroid supplement are you using?
Cynoplus, which I ship up to the US from Mexico. I tried other thyroid supplements, but they all raised adrenaline except cynoplus and cynomel.