Higher fish consumption associated with increased melanoma risk, study suggests

Logan-

Important.

The researchers found that compared to those whose median daily fish intake was 3.2 grams (.11 ounces), those whose median daily intake was 42.8 grams (1.5 ounces) had a 22% higher risk of malignant melanoma and a 28% increased risk of developing abnormal cells in the outer layer of the skin only — known as stage 0 cancer or melanoma in situ. A serving size of cooked fish is approximately 140-170 grams (5-6 ounces); a can of tuna is 142 grams (5 ounces).

Perry Staltic

“We speculate that our findings could possibly be attributed to contaminants in fish, such as polychlorinated biphenyls, dioxins, arsenic and mercury,” Cho said. “Previous research has found that higher fish intake is associated with higher levels of these contaminants within the body and has identified associations between these contaminants and a higher risk of skin cancer. "

If there really is a connection, one possible cause could be Fukushima radioactive isotopes in Pacific-caught fish like salmon and tuna. I stopped eating Pacific-caught fish years ago for that reason.

akgrrrl

I wish every single study and in fact every article that tries to tell us "eat this, not that" would be specific as to WHICH fish. Farmed fish being fed who knows what, in polluted water? Deep cold water fish eating naturally? Bottom feeder fish in contaminated industrial coastlines?
Indoor farmed fish that never swim in sun or natural habitat?
Good grief.
Its like saying "milk is good for you".
Really. My grocer has 22 types of milk and I wouldnt drink at least 18 of those.