Higher Fat Diets And Fat Emulsification Increase Endotoxin (in Obese Males)

haidut

Forum Supporter
High dietary fat is one of the primary factors for increased endotoxin load, especially if the fat is PUFA. This is probably one of the main reasons Peat prefers lower fat diets. However, most of the studies on the fat-endotoxin link so far have been on animal models. This new human study confirms that link, at least on obese men. The amount of fat used was 40g per sitting, so perhaps keeping fat contents of each meal below that level would be prudent in order to lower post-meal endotoxic load.
Another important finding was that fat emulsification strongly increased endotoxin levels, probably due to its effects on enhancing fat absorption early in the GI tract. Keep in mind that virtually all commercial foods contain an emulsifier of some kind - from the dreaded carrageenan to the lesser known gums (guar, acacia, locust bean, etc). So, all these foods we are buying from the store or the local deli/buffet are perfectly designed to give us an endotoxin load and all the diseases that come with it (Endotoxin And Iron Finally Recognized As Potential Causes Of Many Diseases).

Emulsifying dietary fat modulates postprandial endotoxemia associated with chylomicronemia in obese men: a pilot randomized crossover study. - PubMed - NCBI
Dietary Fats Increase Endotoxin Absorption in Obese Men - Medical News Bulletin

"...A new study suggests that obese men absorb more endotoxins that lean men when consuming highly fatty foods. Endotoxins are known to increase inflammation and infection within the body and could lead to metabolic diseases such as diabetes."

"...To conduct this research, they studied eight men who were obese and eight men that were of normal weight within the same age range. These two groups of men ingested the same meal that consisted of two similariso-caloric, iso-lipidic breakfasts containing 40 g of milk fat that was emulsified or un-emulsified. The amount of lipids and endotoxins in their blood were measured 8 hours after eating. The results showed that after the men consumed the emulsified milk, there was a sharp increase in blood endotoxin levels within 60 minutes. This seemed to be due to the early absorption of lipids that promoted increased endotoxin absorption. It was at its highest level between 180 to 300 minutes after the lipids spread over the body. In lean men, there was not as much lipid absorption, which resulted in lower blood levels of endotoxins after the consumption of emulsified food."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hyperlipid: Endotoxin Absorption on a High Fat Diet

this phenomenon is well known and may not be a concern

I beg to differ. The blog post you linked to describes how the acute rise in endotoxin as a result of the high-fat meal is not really of concern. However, the chronic effects of endotoxin is what concerns most, and the link I posted in the original thread about endotoxin/iron specifically talks about chronic low-grade inflammation caused by chronic low-grade endotoxemia. So, yes, a single larger dose of fat in your meal is not going to kill you but doing that on a regular basis is whole different story.

milk_lover

That's why when I eat white rice with lamb loaded with fat, I get bloated, while when I eat lean meat even in a sandwich (bread is supposedly less safer than white rice), I don't get as many symptoms.... eating high fat cheese sandwich gives me symptoms though.. hmm high fat milk bloats me and gives me itch in face and scalp.. Maybe we don't need to eat much fat with starch after all.. @Westside PUFAs might be onto something after all..

Xisca

Ouch, how to get to the right personal conclusions!
What for lean women then?
What's about sat fat versus pufas?
QUOTE="milk_lover, post: 261651, member: 2982"]Maybe we don't need to eat much fat with starch after all..[/QUOTE]
- Is it the same with Sat. fat? Butter with our potatoes ok or not ok?
Another important finding was that fat emulsification strongly increased endotoxin levels, probably due to its effects on enhancing fat absorption early in the GI tract.
- Most people digest better with good homemade olive mayo than with less fat but non emulsified....
I have tried high sugar high fat with mayo, up to nearly a bottle of olive oil per week.... and it was great, and no bloating with my mayo/banana mix!

Early in the GI tract?
Doesn't bile help to get rid of toxins?
emultion = less bile needed = less toxins eliminated? ....and more absorbed?

milk_lover

Ouch, how to get to the right personal conclusions!
What for lean women then?
What's about sat fat versus pufas?
QUOTE="milk_lover, post: 261651, member: 2982"]Maybe we don't need to eat much fat with starch after all..

I think some sat fat with starch can help us digest the starch better because it's tasty and tasty food encourages the gut juices to be released. Peat mentioned the sat fat helps with insulin spike from starch.. Maybe the idea is not to use too much.

yerrag

Dietary Fats Increase Endotoxin Absorption in Obese Men - Medical News Bulletin

"...A new study suggests that obese men absorb more endotoxins that lean men when consuming highly fatty foods. Endotoxins are known to increase inflammation and infection within the body and could lead to metabolic diseases such as diabetes."

"...To conduct this research, they studied eight men who were obese and eight men that were of normal weight within the same age range. These two groups of men ingested the same meal that consisted of two similariso-caloric, iso-lipidic breakfasts containing 40 g of milk fat that was emulsified or un-emulsified. The amount of lipids and endotoxins in their blood were measured 8 hours after eating. The results showed that after the men consumed the emulsified milk, there was a sharp increase in blood endotoxin levels within 60 minutes. This seemed to be due to the early absorption of lipids that promoted increased endotoxin absorption. It was at its highest level between 180 to 300 minutes after the lipids spread over the body. In lean men, there was not as much lipid absorption, which resulted in lower blood levels of endotoxins after the consumption of emulsified food."

The study does not explain why lean men have a different response to the fats taken over obese men. Until this is explained, the only conclusion I can get is that obese men should avoid high fat meals.

I could only read this as a news article, which is limited to how the writer wants to frame the study, but can't access the original article.

I'm curious to know why the lean men weren't absorbing the fat as much as the obese men. I mean, do lean men have a lesser ability to digest fats? I don't think so. So why aren't the absorbing the fat? It just seems the reason that obese men are absorbing more endotoxins is only because they are digesting and assimilating the fats faster than the lean men.

It could be that obese men have more endotoxins they generate in their gut. I find this a likely explanation.

yerrag

It could be that obese men have more endotoxins they generate in their gut. I find this a likely explanation.
And maybe the body knows this and would produce more bile to emulsify the fats faster and then quickly package them into chylomicrons along with the endotoxins. The chylomicrons then carry the endotoxins to the liver for eventual detox and disposal fecally.

But this is a roundabout way of disposing endotoxins as opposed to taking activated charcoal to adsorb the endotoxins for eventual direct removal fecally.

And maybe the body knows this and would produce more bile to emulsify the fats faster and then quickly package them into chylomicrons along with the endotoxins. The chylomicrons then carry the endotoxins to the liver for eventual detox and disposal fecally.

But this is a roundabout way of disposing endotoxins as opposed to taking activated charcoal to adsorb the endotoxins for eventual direct removal fecally.

I find AC slows down gut motility which is a huge disadvantage though.

yerrag

I find AC slows down gut motility which is a huge disadvantage though.
True. But maybe you could try taking cocoa butter to balance its effect. I take 20g of cocoa butter daily mixed with coffee esch morning.

True. But maybe you could try taking cocoa butter to balance its effect. I take 20g of cocoa butter daily mixed with coffee esch morning.

That’s interesting. I’ve taken cascara sagrada for that purpose. Haven’t tried cocoa butter per se. I have eaten white chocolate but it doesn’t seem to help motility.

yerrag

That’s interesting. I’ve taken cascara sagrada for that purpose. Haven’t tried cocoa butter per se. I have eaten white chocolate but it doesn’t seem to help motility.
I was surprised myself cocoa butter had that effect. I was making more frequent dumps. It wasn't loose at all.