High TSH, Normal T4

boxjack

Hello all,

I wonder if any of you have opinions about this. Any suggestions or references are welcomed.

- Short story: After months of Peat eating (no thyroid supplements yet), I have high TSH (5.66 mU/L) but "normal" free T4 (17.2 pmol/L).

- Long story: I'm a male of 26, I have suffered from low energy and insomnia all my life (other frequent symptoms: brain fog, acne, poor coordination, stress). It appears like I have textbook symptoms of hypothyroidism, but what is unusual is that I've had them so early in life, as far as I can remember. I tried to cure myself, did some bad experiments: a few years of SSRI medication for insomnia (which worked in putting me asleep, but made me very drowsy during the day), and Paleo diet for a year.

A few months ago, I read Peat's articles and followed his diet strictly. Within days I noticed more energy, a body volume increase (mainly muscles) and a libido level comparable if not higher than that of my teens. However, I still suffer from energy problems and feel considerably more tired than a healthy person.

My pulse looks normal (around 80) but my oral temperature is low - I almost never ever hit 86.6 during the day, I'm usually at 97.7. I did a blood test this week with only TSH, free T4 and antibodies: my TSH is very high (5.66 mU/L) but my T4 seems in the normal range (17.2 pmol/L) and so is my thyroid peroxidase antibodies (<35 IU/mL, normal range: < 60 IU/mL). Before I did the Peat diet, I had a blood test indicating a TSH of 3.6 - I am surprised that the TSH increased on the Peat diet because I feel better now, although I still have low temperature and major energy problems.

I plan to start supplementing on cynomel/cynoplus.

J

j.

For what is worth, 3 months after Peating my TSH was:

6 months after Peating it was:

The second trimester of Peating I increased milk intake substantially and I think that helped. I followed the diet without taking any supplements.

I'm about your age.

OP
B

boxjack

j. said:
What are the lab ranges of normal free T4?

In the UK and for my doctor's lab, the usual range is 10.50 to 20 pmol/L

J

j.

My numbers are reversed. Lower TSH than you (1.7) but my free T4 is close to being considered hypothyroid (but with another unit of measurement). I think we just need to follow the strategy and things will improve.

OP
B

boxjack

j. said:
My numbers are reversed. Lower TSH than you (1.7) but my free T4 is close to being considered hypothyroid (but with another unit of measurement). I think we just need to follow the strategy and things will improve.

It looks like thyroid supplements may be necessary, at least in my case: on a strict Peat diet, even if I megadose on sugar my temperature will stay very low (97.7).

J

j.

boxjack said:
j. said:

It looks like thyroid supplements may be necessary, at least in my case: on a strict Peat diet, even if I megadose on sugar my temperature will stay very low (97.7).

yeah, I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't supplement. it might benefit me too, but I chose the other way. however, don't underestimate what PUFAs reduction can do for you in many months, because it seems to me you've only been Peating for a short time, correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
B

boxjack

j. said:
boxjack said:
j. said:

yeah, I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't supplement. it might benefit me too, but I chose the other way. however, don't underestimate what PUFAs reduction can do for you in many months, because it seems to me you've only been Peating for a short time, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, I recall reading that it can take years to fix on the Peat diet while waiting to eliminate stored PUFAs. I am slim and have almost no visible body fat (but since on the Peat diet gained a more athletic figure) - does that mean I probably have less PUFA stored, or is that unrelated to body fat mass?

J

j.

boxjack said:
I am slim and have almost no visible body fat (but since on the Peat diet gained a more athletic figure) - does that mean I probably have less PUFA stored, or is that unrelated to body fat mass?

don't know. i wondered about that too. also, how long have you been peating?

OP
B

boxjack

j. said:
boxjack said:
I am slim and have almost no visible body fat (but since on the Peat diet gained a more athletic figure) - does that mean I probably have less PUFA stored, or is that unrelated to body fat mass?

don't know. i wondered about that too. also, how long have you been peating?

3 months (but no thyroid supplements)