High Testosterone And Shbg

marsaday

Any idea what is happening with high testosterone and high shbg, plus high morning cortisol.

Asking for a friend, but i have some ideas it is to do with thyroid disruption and steroid hormone pathway disruption.

Cortisol is high morning and in the day as well, but not as marked. This is due to low thyroid i think.

The high testosterone is due to the overactivity of the adrenals making more DHEA as well as the cortisol and so more testosterone is made. Because all is not well due to the underlying thyroid issues, SHBG is ramped up so the body cannot use the testosterone (but why would it do this )?

Those are my thoughts.

Any info appreciated.

Constatine

I don't know why no one has replied to this yet. The problem can be a number of things. What is the persons diet like? How much light are they exposed to each day? How much sun on skin exposure as well? How sedentary are they? Do they have estrogenic symptoms?

High cortisol in the morning is natural and not bad

Cortisol must be low at night only

High testosterone is good too
Some people are high in dht like me
And low in dht

And some in testosterone high and low in dht

Shgb mmmm

1Fracture Risk. One study of senior men showed an augmented fracture risk to be associated with increasing SHBG. This would, presumably, be from SHBG's ability to also bind to both testosterone and estradiol, leaving less of both in circulation. This probably applies only to men with lower estradiol levels

2. Liver Disease. Researchers have noted that liver diseases, such as cirrhosis or NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) are associated with increase SHBG. Since the liver is the source of most of our SHBG, wouldn't an injured liver actually produce less SHBG? It turns out that a damaged liver actually allows the build up of estrogens and these, in turn, stimulate SHBG production.

3. Alcoholism and Cirrhosis of the Liver. Heavy drinking can damage the liver and lead to cirrhosis. Once it reaches this point, SHBG can be elevated. [12]

4. Elevated Estradiol. SHBG synthesis is accelerated by estradiol, the "chief estrogen." If estradiol levels get too high, through weight gain, medications or other factors, SHBG can rise accordingly.

5. Clomid. Many men are on Clomid for fertility-preserving reasons. In a man with secondary hypogonadism, which is the most common case, testosterone can be boosted significantly as well. Unfortunately, Clomid can significantly raise SHBG in some men. One study found that "SHBG concentration rose from 38.1 +/- 18.3 to 54.3 +/- 16.0 nmol/l." [14]

6. Hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism will raise SHBG according to a couple of studies. And that's no surprise as research has shown that SHBG is related to levels of T3 and T4. [16]

7. Low Magnesium or Zinc. This two minerals affect just about everything and, if you are dificient, supplementation can lower your SHBG a bit. (Don't take too much zinc. See my page on The Potential Dangers of Zinc for more information.)

8. Low DHEA? Taking DHEA can lower SHBG. [18] So perhaps being low in DHEA could lead to elevated SHBG levels?

9. Many Other Medical Conditions. Hyperthyroidism, HIV infection, malnutrition, some drugs such as anticonvulsants and malnutrition can all raise SHBG. (You might want to check atrophic gastritis if you are showing signs of the latter.)

OP
M

marsaday

Type 1 diabetic and hashis. On a gluten and dairy free diet, plus low carb. Eats meat, fish and eggs. No fruit as sensitive to it (sugars or carbs). He has recently started Vit D 3000 iu per day. Probe lower in Vit D as in UK.

I know high cortisol in the morning is good, but too high (over the range on the saliva testing) indicates a possible issue.

High testosterone is not good if you have high shbg. The testosterone will be bound up and unavailable.

So overall not a healthy picture.

Constatine

Type 1 diabetic and hashis. On a gluten and dairy free diet, plus low carb. Eats meat, fish and eggs. No fruit as sensitive to it (sugars or carbs). He has recently started Vit D 3000 iu per day. Probe lower in Vit D as in UK.

I know high cortisol in the morning is good, but too high (over the range on the saliva testing) indicates a possible issue.

High testosterone is not good if you have high shbg. The testosterone will be bound up and unavailable.

So overall not a healthy picture.
Yeah not at all healthy. I understand they are diabetic but I just can't see cortisol lowering and the hormonal profile improving on a low carb diet. In such a situation I doubt there will be an easy fix. The person's system seems to be in trouble and SHBG might be the least of his/her problems. SHBG protects the body from too much testosterone as androgens are quite taxing on the system when the system lacks in energy production. The person's entire life style needs to change. They need to spend more time being exposed to bright lights (preferably the sun) as this has a profound effect on energy production and health, they need to remain comfortably active most of the day, they should eat foods like liver or supplement vitamins a, k2, d3, and e (fat soluble vitamins), they need to avoid under eating, and perhaps take supplements that aid in energy production like Haidut's oxidal.

OP
M

marsaday

Ok that makes sense, the fact the shbg is trying to be protective due to the high testosterone. I will pass the info on.

Constatine

Ok that makes sense, the fact the shbg is trying to be protective due to the high testosterone. I will pass the info on.
Note that high testosterone is generally good, including high free testosterone. But if the body is unhealthy high testosterone can demand too much energy.

Syncopated

I do not agree with high cortisol in the morning being acceptable. I believe that would indicate a long term T3 problem, no?

ddjd

from what ive read these are the general correlations:

high estrogen = low SHBG
high free testosterone = low SHBG
low DHT = low SHBG
high cortisol = low SHBG
high triglycerides + LDL = low SHBG
hypothyroidism = low SHBG

Ray: SHBG should be as high as possible to keep estrogen out of cells, and that it actually enters cells when it is unloaded, unlike albumin.