High Saturated Fat/Cholesterol Causes Clogged Pores/Sebaceous Filaments

What should i do?

• Cut out saturated fat completely for some time.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Drastically reduce saturated fat some time.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • It's got nothing to do with saturated fat.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Don't lower saturated fat, instead work on ways to improve cholesterol levels.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other? Comment below.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Josh

Hey all.

HISTORY AND SYMPTOMS:
I've posted before about the severe sebaceous filaments i suffer with, basically solidified sebum that seems to fill every single pore on my body/face/scalp, the longer they are left untouched the more they will start to actually poke out of my skin like little rice grains! They completely ruin my confidence, their making huge pore holes all over my face and spreading these pores across my face and it looks disgusting when they fill up the pores so quickly!

Now i noticed these started forming after finding ray peat in 2017 and switching from olive oil/more pufa etc to butter, coconut oil, cheese etc. So for the last 3 years i've eaten pretty high saturated fat, this year i'm trying to put extra weight on and am spending a lot of time weight lifting. I may consume upwards of 80g-100g of a combo of butter/coconut oil a day.

I have tried lowering the fat a lot but didn't seem to make much difference and i was much hungrier without it and didn't feel right just increasing carbs, i didn't try it for that long though.

I guess i'm a little wary of cutting out sat fat and eating only things olive oil for fat, i used to have super low test/libido but have got it up pretty high now and libido is super strong with a defined face as opposed to the bloated looking face i had before, don't wanna mess with that but if i know 100% lowering the sat fat will help with the Filaments i'm willing to give it a go as they are the worst and most bothersome thing about me right now.

I don't see anyone else moaning about it here or even in like the keto world who for example could be eating tons of saturated fat. Is it because the how high the amount i'm eating is?

THEORY, I've spoken to someone on another forum somewhere who has come up with this theory on cholesterol, saturated fats and sebum production:
"Based on the research I've done on skin health, the most likely culprit (in my opinion) is a lipid called squalene peroxide. It's basically this sludgy, sticky lipid that is what is referred to as "comedogenic", because it does exactly what I described earlier: sits in the follicle and clogs it up."
"I have a theory that elevated LDL cholesterol levels increase squalene production in the sebaceous gland. (thus, increasing the potential for and quantity of squalene peroxide formation). The interesting thing is that squalene is a precursor to cholesterol, so it makes sense that cholesterol oversupply might lead shunt the cholesterol synthesis pathway back down to squalene, leading to increased squalene accumulation."
"cholesterol --> shunting squalene --> squalene peroxide --> pore clogs."

MY DIET, BLOOD RESULTS ETC:
A link to my cholesterol levels: at the top the most recent test done Sept 2020 and the results below that are from March 2017, previous to finding Peat: New cholesterol levels at top, old levels at bottom.

Another extensive blood test i had recently: August 2020, Fasted, Morning blood test.

Average daily diet, not really that peaty anymore, i'm doing what works for me now: Will change on a daily basis, don't eat it all exact to the point. I also take supplements: Calcium MCHA, Vit b1, Folate, Acerola cherry, K2 and adding more in soon.

QUESTIONS:
What do you all think i should do?
-Should i cut the saturated fat out completely for some time to test it out, how long?
-Do you think it's got nothing to do with sat fat intake and instead its something else like thyroid function?
-Or based on the logic above fro, that guy, should i not cut out saturated fat but work on ways to lower cholesterol levels? How if so?

I know i've posted about this before and i apologise, it's just a very bothersome problem for me right now and it seems to be getting worse and worse.

Last edited:

redsun

Hey all.

HISTORY AND SYMPTOMS:
I've posted before about the severe sebaceous filaments i suffer with, basically solidified sebum that seems to fill every single pore on my body/face/scalp, the longer they are left untouched the more they will start to actually poke out of my skin like little rice grains! They completely ruin my confidence, their making huge pore holes all over my face and spreading these pores across my face and it looks disgusting when they fill up the pores so quickly!

Now i noticed these started forming after finding ray peat in 2017 and switching from olive oil/more pufa etc to butter, coconut oil, cheese etc. So for the last 3 years i've eaten pretty high saturated fat, this year i'm trying to put extra weight on and am spending a lot of time weight lifting. I may consume upwards of 80g-100g of a combo of butter/coconut oil a day.

I have tried lowering the fat a lot but didn't seem to make much difference and i was much hungrier without it and didn't feel right just increasing carbs, i didn't try it for that long though.

I guess i'm a little wary of cutting out sat fat and eating only things olive oil for fat, i used to have super low test/libido but have got it up pretty high now and libido is super strong with a defined face as opposed to the bloated looking face i had before, don't wanna mess with that but if i know 100% lowering the sat fat will help with the Filaments i'm willing to give it a go as they are the worst and most bothersome thing about me right now.

I don't see anyone else moaning about it here or even in like the keto world who for example could be eating tons of saturated fat. Is it because the how high the amount i'm eating is?

THEORY, I've spoken to someone on another forum somewhere who has come up with this theory on cholesterol, saturated fats and sebum production:
"Based on the research I've done on skin health, the most likely culprit (in my opinion) is a lipid called squalene peroxide. It's basically this sludgy, sticky lipid that is what is referred to as "comedogenic", because it does exactly what I described earlier: sits in the follicle and clogs it up."
"I have a theory that elevated LDL cholesterol levels increase squalene production in the sebaceous gland. (thus, increasing the potential for and quantity of squalene peroxide formation). The interesting thing is that squalene is a precursor to cholesterol, so it makes sense that cholesterol oversupply might lead shunt the cholesterol synthesis pathway back down to squalene, leading to increased squalene accumulation."
"cholesterol --> shunting squalene --> squalene peroxide --> pore clogs."

MY DIET, BLOOD RESULTS ETC:
A link to my cholesterol levels: at the top the most recent test done Sept 2020 and the results below that are from March 2017, previous to finding Peat: New cholesterol levels at top, old levels at bottom.

Another extensive blood test i had recently: August 2020, Fasted, Morning blood test.

Average daily diet: Will change on a daily basis, don't eat it all exact to the point. I also take supplements: Calcium MCHA, Vit b1, Folate, Acerola cherry, K2 and adding more in soon.

QUESTIONS:
What do you all think i should do?
-Should i cut the saturated fat out completely for some time to test it out, how long?
-Do you think it's got nothing to do with sat fat intake and instead its something else like thyroid function?
-Or based on the logic above fro, that guy, should i not cut out saturated fat but work on ways to lower cholesterol levels? How if so?

I know i've posted about this before and i apologise, it's just a very bothersome problem for me right now and it seems to be getting worse and worse.

You can try vitamin B2 and vitamin A to reduce sebum production. Vitamin B1 will increase sebum production by increasing hormones. So if you always supplement B1 that will likely worsen the problem. B2 intake is 1.4mg which is technically daily value but that is very low when your fat intake is so high. B2 needs increase as fat intake in the diet increases. Your intake of about 1.4mg which is already lowish, is definitely not adequate for almost 100g of fat intake daily.

Sugartits

What is your skincare routine? Sometimes when skin gets too dry it starts to overproduce oil to correct the problem, and then the pores get clogged. A good cleansing oil should dissolve the gunk in your pores, that's what I use. I know it sounds counterintuitive to put more oil on skin that is already too oily, but as they say, "the solution to pollution is dilution". You rub the cleansing oil into your pores where it dissolves the gunk, then when you wash it off it takes the gunk away with it. It's called the oil cleansing method. Cleansing oil is widely available in pharmacies, and actually Trader Joe's has a good one, but some people just use regular mineral oil and follow that up with a mild face wash. It won't clog your pores, in fact many people credit it with healing their acne.

GelatinGoblin

Cut down fat in general, UFA is mediated by SFA.
I think only use coconut oil with some carrot.
If you eat rice, Buckwheat or potato use some butter.

OP
J

Josh

You can try vitamin B2 and vitamin A to reduce sebum production. Vitamin B1 will increase sebum production by increasing hormones. So if you always supplement B1 that will likely worsen the problem. B2 intake is 1.4mg which is technically daily value but that is very low when your fat intake is so high. B2 needs increase as fat intake in the diet increases. Your intake of about 1.4mg which is already lowish, is definitely not adequate for almost 100g of fat intake daily.

Interesting! I'll give this a go, i've actually got a b2 supplement here, how much would you take daily?

OP
J

Josh

What is your skincare routine? Sometimes when skin gets too dry it starts to overproduce oil to correct the problem, and then the pores get clogged. A good cleansing oil should dissolve the gunk in your pores, that's what I use. I know it sounds counterintuitive to put more oil on skin that is already too oily, but as they say, "the solution to pollution is dilution". You rub the cleansing oil into your pores where it dissolves the gunk, then when you wash it off it takes the gunk away with it. It's called the oil cleansing method. Cleansing oil is widely available in pharmacies, and actually Trader Joe's has a good one, but some people just use regular mineral oil and follow that up with a mild face wash. It won't clog your pores, in fact many people credit it with healing their acne.

Hey! I'm actually really familiar with the oil cleanse method, i still do it now but it doesn't get rid of them completely, the problem is my filaments are so solidifed and dense and populated that the Oil doesn't really have a breakdown effect on the sebum, i've been using squalane/MCT oil to do this.

I've tried so many topical skin care products over the year spent tons of cash but always left with them all causing me reactions so i'm trying to focus now on the internal stuff with it, Saturated fat etc

Sugartits

Ah yes, I see the force is strong in this one. It is a difficult battle, good luck to you!

ursidae

all I have observed about the comedones is those who healed their acne by changing their diet stop getting the cysts/pustules once they removed the allergen, but the comedones remain. The only people I have known to have stopped the comedones from forming went on keto or vegetable/meat diets, which leads me to think comedones are an insulin resistance problem.

I have elevated cholesterol and LDL and my skin is congested too with hard sebum