High salt intake caused metabolic acidosis

Daniil

Earlier I was interested in this thread Very High Salt Intake (50g A Day) Increases Metabolism, Makes People Energetic And Happy and I decided to try to consume a lot of salt to speed up metabolism. I consumed 20-25 grams of salt for two weeks and started to feel worse. I got tested for bicarbonate. My standard bicarbonates(SB) and actual bicarbonates(AB) were lowered. As I understand it, that means I have metabolic acidosis. Salt consumption now makes me sweaty palms, arousal and sometimes loss of appetite. I also tried magnesium, it makes me a strange desire to breathe slowly and deeply. I only feel good when I avoid these two. Also, my blood test for sodium (not ionic, usual) showed the upper limit of the norm.
There is a thought that this reaction is related to calcium. Previously, my tests sometimes found low parathyroid hormone (and sometimes normal). Sometimes I have muscle spasms. But calcium in my blood is always normal and hypoparathyroidism has not been diagnosed. Calcium, as I understood from "The Primary Sources Of Acidity In The Diet Are Sulfur-containing AAs, Salt, And Phosphoric Acid", is needed for alkalization. Can calcium deficiency lead to acidosis? Could my reaction be related to hypoparathyroidism? Or something different?

Gustav3Y

Why does Peat love Salt which is sodium chloride in high quantity and says magnesium chloride contains chloride and chloride should be avoided?
Has he offered an explanation for this?

yerrag

Thanks Daniil for creating this thread.

I'll have to assume that you consider yourself to have low metabolism, which is why you took a lot of salt to raise your metabolism. Could you share with us why you feel that way about your metabolism?

OP
D

Daniil

Why does Peat love Salt which is sodium chloride in high quantity and says magnesium chloride contains chloride and chloride should be avoided?
I didn't see him about it. Forgot to say, I was taking magnesium in the form of magnesium aspartate.

yerrag

Peat is against the idea of salt being always bad, which is what mainstream medical thinking has led people to believe.

I had an uncle who died young as for many years he followed a no-salt diet, which was prescribed to him by his doctor.

Nomane Euger

I think rays recommand Morton salt,Wich does not have chloride but only sodium,I could be wrong

OP
D

Daniil

Peat is against the idea of salt being always bad, which is what mainstream medical thinking has led people to believe.

I had an uncle who died young as for many years he followed a no-salt diet, which was prescribed to him by his doctor.
I have a TSH above 2 and a heart rate of about 60. But in general I felt normal and it was more like an experiment with a lot of salt.

yerrag

I have a TSH above 2 and a heart rate of about 60. But in general I felt normal and it was more like an experiment with a lot of salt.
What's your waking and temp at 5 pm, and what is your heart rate?

What is your BMI? Are you full of energy during the day and do you get enough uninterrupted sleep at night?

What are your allergies?

How often do you get fever or flu?

What is your fasting blood sugar? Do you get hungry in between meals?

From a recent CBC, what is your WBC, neutrophils, lymphocytes, monocytes, eosinophils, and basophils?

Do you have any health conditions?

OP
D

Daniil

What is your BMI? Are you full of energy during the day and do you get enough uninterrupted sleep at night?

What are your allergies?

From a recent CBC, what is your WBC, neutrophils, lymphocytes, monocytes, eosinophils, and basophils?

I won't say anything about the temperature, because I don't trust my thermometer. I just measured my pulse and it was 76, but for a while I did not eat salt so as not to feel worse and perhaps its increase is related to this. I weigh 80 kg with a height of 182 centimeters. Sometimes I get weak in the morning. I get enough sleep at night. My blood sugar is always normal with hunger, usually everything is fine. A complete blood count is always normal. I have Gilbert syndrome (homozygous mutation). In addition to the above, there are no health problems, I'm only 21)

OP
D

Daniil

What are your allergies?

However, I have been diagnosed with autonomic dysfunction in the past. I had spasms, polyuria, anxiety, anhedonia. Antidepressants didn't help me. I injected vitamins of group B and took magnesium and now these symptoms are not present, except for spasms and sometimes polyuria.

yerrag

I won't say anything about the temperature, because I don't trust my thermometer. I just measured my pulse and it was 76, but for a while I did not eat salt so as not to feel worse and perhaps its increase is related to this. I weigh 80 kg with a height of 182 centimeters. Sometimes I get weak in the morning. I get enough sleep at night. My blood sugar is always normal with hunger, usually everything is fine. A complete blood count is always normal. I have Gilbert syndrome (homozygous mutation). In addition to the above, there are no health problems, I'm only 21)
Thanks for the quick answer, but I can't use the answers as they're not going to help figure out why your response to salt is the way it is. Many normal people will react to salt in very different ways, and it would be hard to help any normal person.

When you look at a typical blood test, anyone can be considered normal when the value is within the reference range, which is very wide. Even sick people's values are within that reference range.

Gustav3Y

I know Peat is pro salt, I have nothing against it.
However what we call Salt is sodium chloride, and he said is not liking magnesium chloride because it has chloride.

I never heard him say sodium chloride is bad because it has chloride.

So I was wondering why the discrepancy?

OP
D

Daniil

Thanks for the quick answer, but I can't use the answers as they're not going to help figure out why your response to salt is the way it is. Many normal people will react to salt in very different ways, and it would be hard to help any normal person.

When you look at a typical blood test, anyone can be considered normal when the value is within the reference range, which is very wide. Even sick people's values are within that reference range.
Oh, do you want accurate blood counts? I handed it over last time 3 months ago, is it relevant? I have no allergies, I don't get infections. Sometimes only herpes appears on the lip.

yerrag

I know Peat is pro salt, I have nothing against it.
However what we call Salt is sodium chloride, and he said is not liking magnesium chloride because it has chloride.

I never head him say sodium chloride is bad because it has chloride.

So I was wondering why the discrepancy?
I don't know if this is Peat's reasoning, but it may be:

NaCl intake isn't an acidic load but MgCl2 intake is.

yerrag

Oh, do you want accurate blood counts? I handed it over last time 3 months ago, is it relevant? I have no allergies, I don't get infections. Sometimes only herpes appears on the lip.
Yes, it would be. Otherwise, I won't be asking.

My idea of normal would not be the same as your idea of normal, and we would not be understanding each other. You could say you're normal, but when I look at your values, I could say that they're not normal. Normal in the sense of being within a healthy range. And not normal in the sense that the population is really sick, and sick would in that case be normal. Mind you, that is the case in the case of the US, blood sugar-wise.

OP
D

Daniil

I don't know if this is Peat's reasoning, but it may be:

NaCl intake isn't an acidic load but MgCl2 intake is.
It says salt is the main cause of acid load in the diet. Aspirin, by the way, also causes it.

yerrag

It says salt is the main cause of acid load in the diet. Aspirin, by the way, also causes it.
This explains why NaCl isn't an acidic load, and why MgCl2 is.

But sorry, it's a long read. Not many would want to read it because it is a hard read. So many people won't believe me when I say magnesium chloride is an acidic load. I've shared many times this article, but people keep recommending magnesium chloride as a magnesium supplement. What can I say? And from this article, I can understand why NaCl isn't an acidic load.

Attachments

• Remer Acid-Base.pdf
    613.1 KB · Views: 76

Gustav3Y

I think rays recommand Morton salt,Wich does not have chloride but only sodium,I could be wrong

Molton salt as far as I see on their website is sodium chloride.
Pure sodium is highly reactive with water it will create sodium hydroxide with water and we know how that will go, you don't eat pure sodium.

OP
D

Daniil

Yes, it would be. Otherwise, I won't be asking.

My idea of normal would not be the same as your idea of normal, and we would not be understanding each other. You could say you're normal, but when I look at your values, I could say that they're not normal. Normal in the sense of being within a healthy range. And not normal in the sense that the population is really sick, and sick would in that case be normal. Mind you, that is the case in the case of the US, blood sugar-wise.
I hope you will understand this.

Glucose was last 5,05. Insulin 6,7.

I also did a lactate test a couple of weeks ago and it was normal.

Attachments

• IMG_20210218_143329.jpg
    IMG_20210218_143329.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 28

yerrag

I hope you will understand this.

Glucose was last 5,05. Insulin 6,7.

I also did a lactate test a couple of weeks ago and it was normal.
Thanks for the CBC.

Fasting glucose is OK. Still, if your fasting glucose is steady and within range, you shouldn't be hungry in-between meals.

But your CBC shows issues. Please check your values against this cheat sheet of Dr. Weatherby.

All of your RBC values -RBC, Hgb, Hct, MCV ... RDW are above optimal range. If judged by reference ranges used by conventional doctors though, they are fine. Those could mean many things such as any, some, or all of the following : low blood volume, low b12/folate (dealing with methylation issues).

With regard to your WBC, the neutrophils are high, which may indicate a low-level infection. It's called low level because it does not result in a fever. However, it is hard to verify because the medical establishment does not have tests for all bacteria. They only test for bacteria that cause fevers. In my case, I have periodontal bacteria that came from poor oral hygiene.

I don't know how the Gilbert's Syndrome would impact your RBC values, would you know?

If you could get your temperature accurately, that would be swell. Use a regular digital thermometer. Place it on your mouth and leave it for 12 minutes to be sure you get the temperature. Temperature is a good starting point to ascertain your metabolic state as far as whether you have hypothyroidism or not. I say starting point as it isn't very conclusive in itself.

However, I have been diagnosed with autonomic dysfunction in the past. I had spasms, polyuria, anxiety, anhedonia. Antidepressants didn't help me. I injected vitamins of group B and took magnesium and now these symptoms are not present, except for spasms and sometimes polyuria.
What kind of autonomic dysfunctions were these?

What B-Vitamins were these? Were they B12 and folate?

What kind of magnesium supplements did you take? How much and for how long? Were they enough? Magnesium deficiency has to be corrected, otherwise many issues will remain unresolved.

The polyuria could very well be caused by an ongoing infection which may also cause inflammation, and together they cause or exacerbate acidosis. The increased urination is due to the need to excrete a lot of acid from the system. Increased urination also makes you excrete a lot of potassium as well as other electyolytes. Do you experience cramps?

If you're low on magnesium, it would also be hard to increase your potassium stores. You may be lacking on these two electrolytes at the very least, and the electrolyte imbalance could be having an effect on your response to high salt intake.

The article I sent you on the magnesium test earlier also talks about about the effects of magnesium deficiency.

Attachments

• blood-chemistry-qrg.pdf
    616.9 KB · Views: 29