Peatress

Just bumping this as I have been looking at my salt intake with regards to body composition, cortisol/stress and aldosterone. Perhaps retaining too much water. I had a big surprise when I found something I quoted recently where Ray himself actually ate "Low salt" while doing his forestry work. My understanding is, as long potassium, calcium and magnesium are sufficient it is OK. It's not about guzzling salt, although I do find it warming and somewhat relaxing, it's more nuanced than I realised.
It's my understanding that he actually increased his salt intake during that time. In one interview he talks about the cook adding extra salt to his morning porridge. If I find the interview I will post it.

Edit - here is the interview clip

Peater

It's my understanding that he actually increased his salt intake during that time. In one interview he talks about the cook adding extra salt to his morning porridge. If I find the interview I will post it.

Edit - here is the interview clip

That's the one - however he did not stay on the high salt porridge. He told the cook he had been prescribed a low salt diet, and commented on how he then didn't have crystals of sweat in his eyebrows.

Peatress

That's the one - however he did not stay on the high salt porridge. He told the cook he had been prescribed a low salt diet, and commented on how he then didn't have crystals of sweat in his eyebrows.
You are right he said that to avoid the extra salt (a tablespoon which is a lot) but I don't interpret that as him being on a low salt diet. He was just avoiding getting extra.

He goes on to say that in the long run sodium is protective

Last edited:

Peater

You are right he said that to avoid the extra salt but I don't interpret that as him being on a low salt diet. He was just avoiding getting extra.

True, I think the main thing is to keep in mind just salting everything isn't an elixir even if it does taste and feel good.

Peatress

True, I think the main thing is to keep in mind just salting everything isn't an elixir even if it does taste and feel good.
To be honest, I am still not confident about using salt liberally.

If you listen to the rest of the interview he talks more about low salt diets. He does say that other minerals are protective against a low salt diet.

Last edited:

Peater

To be honest, I am still not confident about using salt liberally.

If you listen to the rest of the interview he talks more about low salt diets. He does say that other minerals are protective against a low salt diet.

I originally found it in this thread. Some good arguments "For" and "Against". I doubt there is one solution for all people. I'm just going to cut back, but not out.

Peatress

I originally found it in this thread. Some good arguments "For" and "Against". I doubt there is one solution for all people. I'm just going to cut back, but not out.

Thank you . It's been helpful to listen to this interview again.

I will repost the section of the interview here because it will be useful for future readers

RP: About aldosterone: one of my first physiological experiment was on myself; when i worked in the woods, our cook was cracked on the idea that hard physical labor meant you sweated a lot and needs to replenish your salt. And so he would put about a tablespoon of salt in everyone’s porridge in the morning. If you didn’t eat your porridge, you didn’t get your ham and eggs and steak. So everyone was doing it. And within a few days of doing that, i found that the sweat that gripped down my forehead was leaving salt crystal trails on my glasses, and my eyebrows looked like they were coated with snow from the salt crystals. And i thought of the trick of saying that i had been put on a low salt diet. So i got normal porridge from then on. And immediately i could sweat distilled water. And on the high salt diet, i had to take salt pills at about 11 o’clock in the morning, otherwise i started to getting feint; i needed to replenish the salt which was pouring out so fast. But after the low salt diet, i never needed after any salt pills again.

JB: You mean the overdose of salt stopped your body from being able to regulate it properly ?

RP: Yeah. And when you’re cutting back on the sodium, one of the first reactions is that your aldosterone is increased. And aldosterone lets you retain the sodium; but it does it at the expense of losing some potassium and magnesium. So if your diet is high in calcium and magnesium, and potassium, then there isn’t any problems with the low sodium intake. But chronically, that high aldosterone has a pro-inflammatory effect. And so, chronically, getting more of all of the alkaline minerals (mainly: calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium) than you really need is a safety precaution that will suppress your aldosterone, and protect your heart from inflammation and fibrosis and hypertension and so on. So, in the long run, sodium has this protection against cell swelling, inflammation, fibrosis.

JB: And if taken in reasonable amounts, it tastes good too, right ? What about “can salt ingestion trigger migraines in some predisposed people” ?

RP: Yes. When you’re already on a low salt diet and take salt, one of the common physiology experiments is to have people drink a quarter of plain water or a quarter of plain water with a heaping teaspoon of salt added to it. And at the end of the physiology lab, everyone who got the unsalted warm water would have formed about a quart of urine. And the ones that got the salt didn’t have any extra forming. It took usually a couple of days for that excess water to come out. So if you take a sudden dose of salt, it makes you swell up and retain water, until your aldosterone has adjusted downward.

JB: I see; so it just takes a while to adjust to it.

RP: Yeah. And you’ll notice that anything that’s susceptible will swell up; your fingers and toes and lips and eyelids and such might swell up in the first day after eating lots of salt. But people who, for example, on a long airplane trip would always got swollen feet; if they adjusted 2 or 3 days in advance by eating extra salt and some baking soda, they didn’t get the swollen feet from sitting still anymore.

JB: So you’re retaining the liquid then in a different place ? Or..

RP: No. You’re suppressing the aldosterone, so it gets the water out of you. And one of the ways sodium works is the albumin molecule is full of negative charges, and it holds the sodium in association. So you get a cloud of positive-negative charges which hold under water. It keeps the water osmotically held in your bloodstream. If you’re low in either albumin or sodium, your blood itself loses the osmotic quality. And the water stays in your cells and extra-vascular spaces. But when the combination of albumin and sodium is present in the blood, water flows out of the tissues into the blood. And blood passing through the kidneys then can get rid of the water that otherwise would sit around in your tissues. And that same situation impairs circulation, because your blood volume is low, and the fluid volume outside the blood vessels is too high. And the anti-diuretic hormone (ADH: vasopressin) is another side of this. But it’s a lot more complicated than a response to stress, estrogen and a lot of other things, for the aldosterone is pretty closely related to the mineral balance.

JB: And what is the anti-diuretic hormone ?

RP: It’s a pituitary hormone that causes water retention with sodium loss. And a low thyroid person...old people, people after accidents, anyone in serious stress...they call it “Inappropriate secretion of anti-diuretic hormone syndrome”. And that’s very common where edema is what is really harmful. The brain swells up, for example, because the body has too much water and not enough salt. And the remedy for that is just adding sodium. But that’s not fundamental; and if you do it too fast, you disturb the balance in the different compartments. But the basic reason for it is that you aren’t producing the carbon dioxide from a thyroid deficiency. And the absence of the high production of the carbon dioxide means that you’re enable to retain the sodium in your kidneys, as the water passes through. And so, the low thyroid person loses sodium, because the reverse of the process that happens in other cells. In the kidneys, carbon dioxide allows the cells to catch and retain sodium.

JB: That’s fascinating. Anything you want to add about staying healthy and keeping your oxidation working well ?

RP: Just keeping stress down and fun up. Judging food by largely how it tastes rather than by what the experts say.

JB: Thank you Ray.

Peater

@Peatress reading it again, I realise what it was that I picked up on - Ray agreed with the tablespoon of salt in porridge as being an overdose. I'm sure he didn't think it was actually an overdose, more of an 'excess', but still, one tablespoon.

If you are replete in the other 3, it seems fine to just take enough salt to keep aldosterone at a healthy level. Not spoons and spoons of it.

Peatress

@Peatress reading it again, I realise what it was that I picked up on - Ray agreed with the tablespoon of salt in porridge as being an overdose. I'm sure he didn't think it was actually an overdose, more of an 'excess', but still, one tablespoon.

If you are replete in the other 3, it seems fine to just take enough salt to keep aldosterone at a healthy level. Not spoons and spoons of it.
Yes, a tablespoon is overkill - I can't imagine how dreadful that porridge tasted. I think the role of other minerals is significant, you did mention that earlier.

What still confuses me is why some people swell with extra salt and others resolve swelling by adding extra?

Salting to taste is not as easy as it sounds.

Here Dr. Peat says that even 30g of salt is compatible with good health - I can't imagine eating that much salt. I struggle to tolerate 5g

Last edited:

Peater

What still confuses me is why some people swell with extra salt and others resolve swelling by adding extra?

Maybe the extra salt addresses aldosterone in some, lowering anti-diuretic hormone, but in others they go into excess, as they haven't got enough K/Ca/Mg so it's like when people puff up with carbs...a sort of 'simple' retention via osmosis. (I'm just mulling, I have no real idea)

Peatress

Maybe the extra salt addresses aldosterone in some, lowering anti-diuretic hormone, but in others they go into excess, as they haven't got enough K/Ca/Mg so it's like when people puff up with carbs...a sort of 'simple' retention via osmosis. (I'm just mulling, I have no real idea)
Mulling is good - potassium is important too. 4000mg/day is not easy to get if one isn't drinking juices or milk.

Also, thyroid helps retain magnesium - so many of us have low thyroid.

RealNeat

These are my thoughts:

Purified salt is known to increase inflammation. Yet, sodium bicarbonate seems to decrease inflammation in at least some ways:
Oral NaHCO3 Activates a Splenic Anti-Inflammatory Pathway: Evidence That Cholinergic Signals Are Transmitted via Mesothelial Cells. - PubMed - NCBI
good write up: April 2018 - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

Also, purified salt (which they used for all these studies above) acts very differently than unrefined salt:
Natural sea salt consumption confers protection against hypertension and kidney damage in Dahl salt-sensitive rats

While the other minerals in the unrefined salt probably makes the difference, the *mechanism* of the difference might be the fact that purified salt has a lower pH and increases total body acidity, which might not occur with unrefined salt (unrefined salt can even be alkaline):
pH of drinking water influences the composition of gut microbiome and type 1 diabetes incidence. - PubMed - NCBI
Low-grade metabolic acidosis may be the cause of sodium chloride-induced exaggerated bone resorption. - PubMed - NCBI
Dietary sodium chloride intake independently predicts the degree of hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis in healthy humans consuming a net acid-produc... - PubMed - NCBI
https://journals.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajplegacy.1967.212.1.54

In general, that one rat study above is the best evidence we have thus far that refined salt acts completely differently from unrefined salt.

If you are worried about your particular situation, I would recommend using baking soda water as a sodium alternative. It may be healthier in general anyway.

Lastly, there are a plethora of studies showing that increases in potassium can pretty much negate the negative effects of excess refined salt on the cardiovascular system, and one of the main ways it does this is through blocking ROS production via downregulating NADPH oxidase (which excess refined salt upregulates.)

I have seen many issues with people consuming too little salt as well, especially with athletes. There are documented negative effects from salt restriction, such as increases in triglycerides, catecholamines, insulin resistance, lipoproteins, and possibly anxiety:
Metabolic effects of strict salt restriction in essential hypertensive patients. - PubMed - NCBI
Dietary Salt (Sodium Chloride) Requirement and Adverse Effects of Salt Restriction in Humans. - PubMed - NCBI
Conflicting Evidence on Health Effects Associated with Salt Reduction Calls for a Redesign of the Salt Dietary Guidelines. - PubMed - NCBI
Dietary sodium restriction: take it with a grain of salt - PubMed

Keep in mind, almost ALL human trials (except for maybe the really old ones) use refined salt. So when people are “lowering their salt intake”, the primarily comes from lowering refined salt intake. IMO we need a lot more research done on the possible differences between refined and unrefined salt. (This makes sense too, as the response to inflammation that your body gets from orange juice vs isocaloric refined sugar water are completely different, due to the micro-components in the orange juice:
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/91/4/940/4597353
who eats pure refined salt... Ive always has it as a part of a meal which contains an innumerable amount of other compounds. Im supposed to believe that the minor micro minerals (and myriad of contaminants) in overpriced gourmet salt make a world of difference when mixed into a dish thats a cornucopia of many other compounds?

Dave Clark

probably has the same pH disturbing issues as Mg Chloride, not to mention the contamination of such lakes with heavy metals.
I have read some on this forum complaining about magnesium chloride. Please elaborate why magnesium chloride has PH disturbing issues any more than sodium chloride. if it is the chloride that is the problem, I am not sure why then it would be any different than regular salt, which is sodium chloride.

RealNeat

I have read some on this forum complaining about magnesium chloride. Please elaborate why magnesium chloride has PH disturbing issues any more than sodium chloride. if it is the chloride that is the problem, I am not sure why then it would be any different than regular salt, which is sodium chloride.
Sodium chloride is neutral, whereas magnesium chloride is slightly acid, taking enough to meet your dietary need for Mg is a burden on pH homeostasis. It gives me heartburn and irritates my urinary tract.

Dave Clark

Sodium chloride is neutral, whereas magnesium chloride is slightly acid, taking enough to meet your dietary need for Mg is a burden on pH homeostasis. It gives me heartburn and irritates my urinary tract.
Interesting. I suppose that context has much to do with ultimate acidity, etc., since from what I gathered reading some things on a search, that other things that are alkaline can influence the Ph when mixed or in contact with the MgChl2. Many things that are embraced on this forum, such as coffee, orange juice {and other citrus}, which have Ph levels of 4 or below, can still be healthy in effect. Apple cider vinegar is another low Ph item that has given positive health effects to people.
Having said this, I agree that I would not use the magnesium chloride as my sole source of magnesium, but I don't think a pinch or two of the Ancient Lakes in a gallon of filtered water would be a problem to bring up the mineral content, and could easily neutralized with a pinch or two of sodium bicarbonate {baking soda}.

RealNeat

Interesting. I suppose that context has much to do with ultimate acidity, etc., since from what I gathered reading some things on a search, that other things that are alkaline can influence the Ph when mixed or in contact with the MgChl2. Many things that are embraced on this forum, such as coffee, orange juice {and other citrus}, which have Ph levels of 4 or below, can still be healthy in effect. Apple cider vinegar is another low Ph item that has given positive health effects to people.
Having said this, I agree that I would not use the magnesium chloride as my sole source of magnesium, but I don't think a pinch or two of the Ancient Lakes in a gallon of filtered water would be a problem to bring up the mineral content, and could easily neutralized with a pinch or two of sodium bicarbonate {baking soda}.
I dont think its harmful in that context. Nor if cycled with other forms of Mg.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals