High RHR

Donttreadonme

Resting heart rate is about 92 which is below tachycardia. Blood pressure is normal. No known causes. Exercise 4 days a week for years. Just happened 3 years ago for no reason.

Any ideas?

Vileplume

It could be high adrenaline from something digesting sub-optimally and irritating the intestine. At least I think that’s what it was in my case. I had the same for a while, along with the tendency to overheat and flush, and it always improves when I go back to drinking mostly goat milk, white sugar, coffee, OJ, carrots, masa, eggs, just the easily digestible stuff.

Unfortunately with too long on just these foods, my tongue starts to get white, so I need to introduce some whole fruits back in, but they’re never perfectly ripe so I get a bit of adrenaline again, an increased heart rate along with a clearer tongue.

I think thyroid helped lower my heart rate too, by stabilizing my body against adrenaline and improving digestion.

OP
D

Donttreadonme

It could be high adrenaline from something digesting sub-optimally and irritating the intestine. At least I think that’s what it was in my case. I had the same for a while, along with the tendency to overheat and flush, and it always improves when I go back to drinking mostly goat milk, white sugar, coffee, OJ, carrots, masa, eggs, just the easily digestible stuff.

Unfortunately with too long on just these foods, my tongue starts to get white, so I need to introduce some whole fruits back in, but they’re never perfectly ripe so I get a bit of adrenaline again, an increased heart rate along with a clearer tongue.

I think thyroid helped lower my heart rate too, by stabilizing my body against adrenaline and improving digestion.
I'm almost always complaining about how hot it is. I keep the thermostat at 68 at night so I can not swelter.... And I hate hate hate summer ever since I was a teenager. But my disdain for heat is lifelong and the rapid heart rate is basically new.

6 years ago i got into bodybuilding and have put on 45 pounds by eating and training...... Lots of protein. Lots of fish.

Is there a correlation? I should be healthier with a lower heart rate?

This might be a dumb question but is my heart beating faster to supply more oxygen for all the new tissue I have?

I am on atenolol and that only lowers my heart rate to the 70s. At first it lowered it to a normal 65 but now its 72 to 75.

Last edited:

Vileplume

I'm almost always complaining about how hot it is. I keep the thermostat at 68 at night so I can not swelter.... And I hate hate hate summer ever since I was a teenager. But my disdain for heat is lifelong and the rapid heart rate is basically new.

6 years ago i got into bodybuilding and have put on 45 pounds by eating and training...... Lots of protein. Lots of fish.

This might be a dumb question but is my heart beating faster to supply more oxygen for all the new tissue I have?

I am on atenolol and that only lowers my heart rate to the 70s. At first it lowered it to a normal 65 but now its 72 to 75.
Do you take your temperature? It could be telling to compare your regular temperature to your temperature when you feel very hot. Sometimes flushing and overheating can be caused by nitric oxide and adrenaline, in which case your body temperature would actually get lower when you feel overheated.

The heart rate thing is tricky, because it can be good or bad depending on what is making the pulse high. Adrenaline and cortisol can increase heart rate (like I used to have, and maybe still do, but to a lesser extent than before), but thyroid function can increase heart rate too, which is good because it's from oxidative metabolism and cellular energy production. You can tell the difference by taking your body temperature -- higher body temp, if paired with good mood and good cognition, indicates that the high heart rate is from thyroid function and oxidative energy production.

The heart beating faster could be from the heart having to work very hard to pump a small amount of blood per pump, which is not what you want. If this is the case, usually there will be some form of blood pressure dysregulation. But if the higher heart beat is from thyroid and oxidative metabolism, the increased heart rate means that your cells are consuming more oxygen and thus more oxygen needs to get delivered to them, hence the high heart rate.

redsun

Of course you will always be hot. Protein is a strong metabolic stimulant and if you have a lot especially for bodybuilding, you can expect to always run hot compared to the average person. 92 RHR is not even high. If you took a drug to lower 92 you actually took it for no reason. Unless you are in bed and your heart is pounding and you are an insomniac because of how stimulated your body is. You definitely don't need a beta blocker.

Your body controls your heart rate and it would expected if you have more tissue that your heart will beat faster to oxygenate your tissue.

In this case you need to lay off caffeine and any other stimulants you take. I am just assuming you take something because its common for those that do bodybuilding to. Or you need to have more protein earlier in the day and less at night so the body can shut down better at night.

OP
D

Donttreadonme

Of course you will always be hot. Protein is a strong metabolic stimulant and if you have a lot especially for bodybuilding, you can expect to always run hot compared to the average person. 92 RHR is not even high. If you took a drug to lower 92 you actually took it for no reason. Unless you are in bed and your heart is pounding and you are an insomniac because of how stimulated your body is. You definitely don't need a beta blocker.

Your body controls your heart rate and it would expected if you have more tissue that your heart will beat faster to oxygenate your tissue.

In this case you need to lay off caffeine and any other stimulants you take. I am just assuming you take something because its common for those that do bodybuilding to. Or you need to have more protein earlier in the day and less at night so the body can shut down better at night.
Well I've been hot since being 14 or 15. I hated summer months as a teenager. I only got into BB and high protein 6 years ago. I'm 41. My rhr became elevated at 38. Before that I was 160 pounds. So then it could be because i am carrying all this extra mass in middle age that i didn't have in youth?

I don't take stimulation supplements at all. Not even coffee.

If it is because of extra muscle then I'm screwed because my skeletal structure grew along with muscles and its impossible for me to probably even to to to down to 180 without looking extremely skinny. 205 to 210 looks about right for my new frame.

My protein intake today that in not trying to gain more mass is only about 150 grams. I don't think that's a super high number like 250 when I was bulking.

But on second thought then do these280 pound goliaths have elevated heart rates?

Thanks for the help all

redsun

Well I've been hot since being 14 or 15. I hated summer months as a teenager. I only got into BB and high protein 6 years ago. I'm 41. My rhr became elevated at 38. Before that I was 160 pounds. So then it could be because i am carrying all this extra mass in middle age that i didn't have in youth?

I don't take stimulation supplements at all. Not even coffee.

If it is because of extra muscle then I'm screwed because my skeletal structure grew along with muscles and its impossible for me to probably even to to to down to 180 without looking extremely skinny. 205 to 210 looks about right for my new frame.

My protein intake today that in not trying to gain more mass is only about 150 grams. I don't think that's a super high number like 250 when I was bulking.

But on second thought then do these280 pound goliaths have elevated heart rates?

Thanks for the help all
You are probably a histadelic considering you complain of this since your were a teenager. They often run hot, have high amounts of body heat and thus have poor heat tolerance.

OP
D

Donttreadonme

You are probably a histadelic considering you complain of this since your were a teenager. They often run hot, have high amounts of body heat and thus have poor heat tolerance.
Well i had to look that up. And well I have no psychosis issues.... Good lord what does that have to do with disliking heat and summer and having a high resting heart rate in middle age?

redsun

Well i had to look that up. And well I have no psychosis issues.... Good lord what does that have to do with disliking heat and summer and having a high resting heart rate in middle age?
Psychological symptoms are not always present. High histamine levels leads to higher vasodilation and more body heat and metabolism is overall faster, hence heat intolerance and higher heart rate. But again your resting heart rate is within normal range.

Its probably a combination of higher metabolism from your diet and higher vasodilatory signalling hormones (histamine and acetylcholine and others) and lower amounts of hormones that promote vasoconstriction like norepinephrine.

aliml

Small calf circumference mean a higher resting heart rate. The calf muscles (soleus muscles) are called the second heart as it is responsible for pumping venous blood back to the heart from the periphery.

The resting heart rate is largely determined by the vagus nerve. Dietary fiber (especially soluble fiber) helps stimulate the vagus nerve.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals