High RHR/BBT and bad labs

KRB8

I’ve already posted this elsewhere but thought this would be a good place, too. Help!

Hello. I need help. I sent Ray this info before I had taken my husband’s RHR and BBT. His triglycerides are like 400, total cholesterol 250, TSH is 1.5. His resting HR is like in the 80s and his temp is 98! What in the world. Why can’t this just be straight forward?! He has a family history of heart attack/disease and he himself has a pot belly that has been consistent for years. I think it’s a cortisol belly that came on after years of being a serious triathlete. His weight doesn’t change, 5’ 9” 200lbs. He’s a busy attorney. He’s been eating a partial nourishing traditions based diet for about 10 years. Peat said: increase milk, eliminate starch, take BBT and RHR. Well, the last two aren’t conclusive. Seems I’ve read that RHR can be high due to other health issues. Hmmm...thoughts?
Also, hubby is 45 years old and has the best head of hair in town. Clearly his issue isn’t thyroid.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I’ve already posted this elsewhere but thought this would be a good place, too. Help!

Hello. I need help. I sent Ray this info before I had taken my husband’s RHR and BBT. His triglycerides are like 400, total cholesterol 250, TSH is 1.5. His resting HR is like in the 80s and his temp is 98! What in the world. Why can’t this just be straight forward?! He has a family history of heart attack/disease and he himself has a pot belly that has been consistent for years. I think it’s a cortisol belly that came on after years of being a serious triathlete. His weight doesn’t change, 5’ 9” 200lbs. He’s a busy attorney. He’s been eating a partial nourishing traditions based diet for about 10 years. Peat said: increase milk, eliminate starch, take BBT and RHR. Well, the last two aren’t conclusive. Seems I’ve read that RHR can be high due to other health issues. Hmmm...thoughts?
Also, hubby is 45 years old and has the best head of hair in town. Clearly his issue isn’t thyroid.
What other tests has he done? Cortisol, DHEA, iron, copper?

OP
K

KRB8

Zero. Do you have suggestions for obtaining these tests? He’s a pain to get to the doctor! But he has all the resources he could possibly imagine. Friends with lots of doctors! I imagine his family doctor will ask why he wants these labs and put up a fight.

OP
K

KRB8

Might I also add, I’m Peating myself quite successfully and I cook as best I can for our very large family. We have 8 kids so far and hope for more (I’m 37 so maybe a few more will come along!). It’s lunch that’s the problem for my husband as he finds himself in court, in a trial, etc quite often and ends up sliding into locally owned Deli’s and such far too often. I think he’s ready to get serious as this past week he can down with a scary episode of appendicitis and had to have it removed. I freaked out because he’s been drinking a lot more milk—like 2-3 cups a day as compared to a few a week before. And the doctor said there was a calcium stone deposit in the appendix. But come to find out totally unrelated to the milk drinking! Whew.

OP
K

KRB8

What other tests has he done? Cortisol, DHEA, iron, copper?
Hans, I’ve been reading your posts for months now and I trust your advice. do I need to have hubby go obtain these tests specifically? I looked online at discount labs and cannot find one for copper. Also, does cortisol need to be a saliva test? If we need to do this I want to ASAP. Lastly, I bought a new thermometer and figured out the one we had was running high by a degree! No wonder my BBT was 98.7 some days! So hubby’s must be 97. Haven’t rechecked his RHR. He just had an appendectomy so he’s stressed and recovering so things are skewed. Any light you can shed much appreciated.

Hans

Forum Supporter
High cortisol and iron can contribute to high cholesterol and trigs. Since his appendix has been removed, that usually shows that he's been under a lot of stress and perhaps has been eating gut-irritating foods.
So that's why I'd look at serum cortisol (you can also look at salivary if you want) and a complete iron panel.

OP
K

KRB8

High cortisol and iron can contribute to high cholesterol and trigs. Since his appendix has been removed, that usually shows that he's been under a lot of stress and perhaps has been eating gut-irritating foods.
So that's why I'd look at serum cortisol (you can also look at salivary if you want) and a complete iron panel.
Thank you so much! I’ll be in touch with results. In the meantime, he’s upping milk and trying to eliminate starch. This is the tough one for him. With 8 kids I have to cook potatoes and rice often and he can’t partake, but I get away with it! Hoping increasing the milk and OJ will satiate him.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thank you so much! I’ll be in touch with results. In the meantime, he’s upping milk and trying to eliminate starch. This is the tough one for him. With 8 kids I have to cook potatoes and rice often and he can’t partake, but I get away with it! Hoping increasing the milk and OJ will satiate him.
You can always try dried meat (it's pretty satiating and not that high in iron) and fresh/dried fruit.
Rice and potato isn't such a big deal, but refined grains, beans and PUFA are a recipe for problems.

OP
K

KRB8

You can always try dried meat (it's pretty satiating and not that high in iron) and fresh/dried fruit.
Rice and potato isn't such a big deal, but refined grains, beans and PUFA are a recipe for problems.
Ok, yes! Doing lots of fresh fruit and dried, too. That makes me feel much better in regards to rice/potato. He wouldn’t be eating it every meal so my thoughts were yours. But when Ray said ‘eliminate’ starches I thought that meant zero. My experience has been that as I’ve upped my fruit and sugar intake, my desire for starch has decreased drastically! And man has it had a positive effect on my gut—less bloating! Hoping hubby will have the same experience. Bless you Hans for your help!

Hans

Forum Supporter
Ok, yes! Doing lots of fresh fruit and dried, too. That makes me feel much better in regards to rice/potato. He wouldn’t be eating it every meal so my thoughts were yours. But when Ray said ‘eliminate’ starches I thought that meant zero. My experience has been that as I’ve upped my fruit and sugar intake, my desire for starch has decreased drastically! And man has it had a positive effect on my gut—less bloating! Hoping hubby will have the same experience. Bless you Hans for your help!
Well, everyone's sensitivity to starches is different so it's important to experiment (else someone might enjoy it to stay long enough on the diet to get benefits). Some people need only starches, others need little starches and others no starches. I personally do best of zero starch but still have some here and there.

OP
K

KRB8

Well, everyone's sensitivity to starches is different so it's important to experiment (else someone might enjoy it to stay long enough on the diet to get benefits). Some people need only starches, others need little starches and others no starches. I personally do best of zero starch but still have some here and there.
Makes total sense!

Back
Top Bottom