High Protein Option For People Living In USA

4peatssake

Do you know where to get the classic skyr?

I'd love to source the plain stuff without additives.
I found this product and it looks like they offer a "plain" version, but I didn't see a full list of ingredients.

Skyri

The products in the link haidut posted contain stevia which I'd prefer to avoid and add my own sugar or fruit.

Jib

An Indian grocery store near me sells 5lb tubs of yogurt. This makes me want to pick a couple of those up, strain all of it, and use it as a base for smoothies or other things. I used to strain yogurt all the time with coffee filter paper and a colander over a bowl. It can make a great base for smoothies, and it's cheaper making it yourself.

The protein thing is an issue for me too. That actually might be the biggest challenge for me. I notice how much better I feel when I have meat in the morning, e.g. beef or lamb. I always mix hydrolyzed collagen into my coffee in the morning and at least one other time throughout the day, but I always seem to feel better when I add the gelatin to the protein I get from other sources. When I rely on gelatin alone I notice that I don't feel as energetic and I tend to get energy crashes and day-long fatigue more often.

Gelatin is also *extremely* expensive. It's a fantastic supplemental protein, but relying on it as a major source gets out of hand really quickly. It's non-perishable, though, and that makes it extremely convenient.

Making and storing lots of jerky and storing lots of meat in a chest freezer is one thing I'm thinking of these days. Between that, keeping gelatin on hand at all times, and making strained yogurt/cottage cheese/farmer's cheese, I think you could have a lot of the bases comfortably covered. Staying well stocked and having plenty of food available at all times is probably a good idea.

BingDing

I tried the Skyr Haidut suggested and didn't take to it very much; just didn't like the taste. But I recently found another brand, Siggi's, that was better. I'd give a link but their web site is useless as to where to buy it (unless you live in NY).

There was a little lactic acid taste so I mixed in 1/8 tsp of baking soda. A funny thing, the skyr is too thick to release the fizzing bubbles so when I ate a spoonful it fizzed! Well, the novelty of that wore off pretty quick and I was thinking it is awfully thick, so I added some simple syrup and some milk. The result was wonderful, like a milkshake. So SaltGirl upthread had the goods.

Not quite as quick and easy as Haidut wants, but a nice way to get some extra protein.

kiran

Jib said:
When I rely on gelatin alone I notice that I don't feel as energetic and I tend to get energy crashes and day-long fatigue more often.

Meat has stuff like zinc, creatine, carnosine, beta alanine etc. All missing from gelatin.

Philomath

found this in my local grocery store:
Powerful Yogurt
http://www.powerful.yt/products.php#PY

It's basically Greek yogurt that comes in a 227g serving cup. Each cup has 25 grams of protein. The plain yogurt contains nonfat milk and 7 active cultures. It also has 9 grams of sugar and 100mg sodium.

I've gone the extra mile and strained it more through a coffee filter (yielding maybe a teaspoon of liquid) and adding a tablespoon of honey. It does not have a acidic "bite" and is very thick and creamy.
No side effects yet!

Steffi

Well, seems like this thread is about Quark. It's a dairy product you will find in every German grocery store. In Austria it's called Topfen. Cheap (250g are 50ct), without additives high in protein. Available with 0, 20 or 40% fat from cream. Used in German cheese cake and hundreds of recipes for lunches, snacks, cakes and desserts. Extremly hard to find in North America and sometimes what is sold as Quark has all weird ingredients and falls far short of the expected protein content.
Taste about like Greek Yoghurt. Which is such a hype now. Way overpriced and inferior to Quark if you look at less than half the protein content.

The traditional way to make Quark is to let a bowl of milk sit at room temperature in the kitchen for a day. I guess the lactic acid from the milk turning sour is the acting acid there. Of course that is raw milk.

http://fddb.info/db/de/lebensmittel/ber ... index.html

aquaman

Fage is strained Greek yogurt, I get it in UK in 2% or fat free. It's 10g protein per 100 so it's easy to get 25grans of protein, with added fruit compote for high carb. Great breakfast or snack.

Joocy_J

Fage brand yogurt is pre-strained and has no additives. It tastes noticeably less bitter then other brands of yogurt.

answersfound

Joocy_J said:
post 98696 Fage brand yogurt is pre-strained and has no additives. It tastes noticeably less bitter then other brands of yogurt.

yea but the cultures are probably GMO

Last edited by a moderator:

Amazoniac

I did strain it once, and I did collect some water but it had almost no acidity and that tells me most of the lactic acid had been already strained during making the product.
As far as the bacteria, I think Skyr has less bacteria added than traditional yogurt and the bacteria Skyr is made with is typically L. Bulgaricus. As a Bulgarian native I grew up eating a lot of this bacteria, so I think I have developed tolerance or it is a placebo effect preventing me from reacting badly to anything from the motherland:):
I heated the Skyr to 75 degrees Celsius for 30 seconds and that should kill even more bacteria, so now it tastes almost like icecream when chilled. Pretty tasty actually, especially when flavored.
I guess part of it was already posted elsewhere:

Recycling Metchnikoff: Probiotics, the Intestinal Microbiome and the Quest for Long Life
"The specific regimen recommended by Metchnikoff for suppressing putrefactive colonic bacteria consisted of daily doses of probiotics in the form of “soured milk (i.e., yogurt) prepared by a group of lactic bacteria, or of pure cultures of the Bulgarian bacillus (Lactobacillus bulgaricus), but in each case (accompanied by) a certain quantity of milk, sugar, or sucrose.” He followed his own advice as a regular part of his diet and was “very well pleased with the result.” What, exactly, he meant by “very pleased with the results” is not clear. Possibly, he was encouraged by a diminution of “sulfo-conjugate ethers” in his urine, which were then monitored as surrogate markers for intestinal putrefaction. Several of his friends who “suffered from maladies of the intestine or kidneys” followed his example and, likewise, were “well satisfied” with the results. The efficacy of his treatment in retarding the onset of senility was never validated scientifically (2). Moreover, subsequent work by a host of investigators showed that L. bulgaricus is unable to survive in the human intestine or that of any other animal studied and, hence, not capable of replacing putrefactive bacteria in the colon (6). L. acidophilus, however, can live in the human intestine and has been used with limited success as a probiotic."

Last edited:

Elephanto

Skyr, like greek yogurt and quark, gives me a potent opioid effect from the casomorphins. I think it also releases histamine more than most opioid agonists since the effect isn't pleasant, it mostly reduces mental clarity. If I'm comparing to tianeptine, the only opioid agonist I've tried.

A naturally occurring opioid peptide from cow's milk, beta-casomorphine-7, is a direct histamine releaser in man. - PubMed - NCBI

Exaggerated intestinal histamine release by casein and casein hydrolysate but not whey hydrolysate. - PubMed - NCBI

Autistic children display elevated urine levels of bovine casomorphin-7 immunoreactivity. - PubMed - NCBI

bboone

I think the Wikipedia entry says that Icelandic Skyr is actually much more like cottage cheese, while other Scandinavian countries like Norway use the word Skyr to refer to any type of yogurt.
As far as making cottage cheese - thanks Dutchie, I will try making it myself. My post was more about the folks that don't have the time to make it themselves and would be OK with using a commercial product. I know I am one of them sometimes:):

skyr is skyr but the stuff you buy in the store here is filled w artificial sweeteners

Sefton10

Anybody eating skyr these days??
Really like it later in the day, helps with sleep I find. Presume it’s the casein. I’ll sometimes grate cocoa butter into with some raisins and marmalade or blueberry jam.

Bunnicula

Anybody eating skyr these days??
I am! With cooked fruit. I don't drink milk, so I was happy to find a high-protein alternative to the greek yogurt I was eating previously. It's cheap where I live (Europe; Spar brand) and has no additives.

Dr. B

Hi all,

I currently reside in the US and have been constantly trying to come up with ways to eat a diet close to Peat's principles (especially high protein), while minimizing time and cost spent in getting it. While there is no substitute for home-made food, often I have so little free time available that I would prefer if I could just grab a ready product and not spend time preparing it. The main problem that I have with Ray's diet is that it is just not always easy for me to obtain 150g+ of protein in a form ready for ingestion or packaged in a way that can be taken to work. I still can't get used to the routine of drinking a galon of milk a day, as it is not very convenient to carry this every day to work as well as deflect questions from pesky coworkers.
I think Ray has said several times that yogurt is OK to eat as long as it is strained so that both the lactic acid and the acidic whey are removed from the final product. I think I have found jut such a product that is quite high in protein and it sold in my local CVS. Here is a link to their product line:
http://bmoreorganic.com/products/

As you can see from the labels, the product is organic, has no fat, just protein and "sugar" and only a handful of actual ingredients all of which are known to me. The products are made with Skyr, which is a type of Icelandic milk product representing a hybrid between yogurt and cottage cheese:
Skyr - Wikipedia
"...The skyr is then strained through fabric to remove the whey (mysa in Icelandic) and the milk solids retained."
In summary, Skyr is more like cottage cheese (b/c it has been processed with rennet and has had whey removed) with some yogurt bacteria added (not sure why the bacteria is even added as it doesn't seem to add anything). So, if the above Wikipedia statement is true then it looks like we have a candidate for high-protein Peat-approved type of food (Skyr) with some commercial offerings available in CVS.
Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with the company that makes the Skyr products, and in fact I do have some reservations about the product. I don't make any money from writing about their products or any other product for that matter. I don't mention the company name or product name on purpose so that Google does not pick up on this blog post and raise their rankings based on our discussions here.

I have bought the products from CVS and they are indeed a lot less sour than regular yogurt but I can still feel some acidity. I do feel fine when I drink that Skyr product, with the exception of a mild headache which clears up within 30min of ingesting the product. I am not sure if this is due to any lactic acid leftover or the yogurt bacteria inside. Ray wrote in one of his articles how yogurt bacteria gave him headaches and how the yogurt bacteria may be a cause of SLE (lupus). Since casein raises insulin 2-3 times more than meat protein does, my headache may be also due to a drop in blood sugar. The product only contains leftover sugar from the fermentation process and also some stevia, so it is essentially sugarless and does need to be taken with a lot of sugar.
I will continue to experiment with this product and see if I can get the headache to disappear. I hope it is b/c of low sugar since that would be very easy to remediate. Otherwise I will also try to somehow get rid of the bacteria in the product, which can be done either by taking small amounts of antibiotic or adding the antibiotic in the product itself. Yet another method would be to heat the product to 75 degrees Celsius for 30 seconds. In a regular yogurt the heating method would cause syneresis, but since Skyr is also a cheese the syneresis should not occur in this case.
So far I have been drinking 3-4 of these a day and eating very little other food so that I can isolate the effects of this product on any health paramaters. If nothing else, with 120g+ of protein from the Skyr products at least satiety is where it should be and I don't get random urges during the day to binge eat this or that kind of food.
I will keep everybody posted on how the experiment progresses.
Thoughts?

Do we still need that much protein? Some said Ray said even 80 to 100 grams is ok? Also the headaches could easily have been from the stevia IMO… i think that caused headaches while costco organic greek yogurt never did.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals