High Prolactin Question

Hirri

Hello, I just got my results back and not sure what it means. I am a female and I am having some issues with my moods, sleep, anxiety and craving for carbs.

(TTH, TSH) is 2.92 mIU/L
Prolactin 574,7 mIU/L (which converts to 27 if I am not mistaken)

However,
Prolactin after something which I dont understand is 263.
Active prolactin in % is 91.77%
Estradiol is 311.4
Progesteron on 21st day of the cycle was 43.8 nmol/L (which is high as the norm for that phase is 13-46)

Any idea what it means? Could prolactin be high due to the fact that I had to starve for almost 3 hours in the morning to get the blood test and felt very bad, because I am used to eat once I wake up at least something? Or could it be something else?

I eat around 3000 calories, avoid PUFA of course, lots of sugar, I come out of calories restriction, low body fat and low weight 3 years ago and lots of running but this is not the case anymore (I still run but slowly and way less and eat as much as I want). Also 3 years ago I came off of the birth control pill which I was on for 17 years and which led to menstrual cycle disappearance for 10 months. Now everything is fine in that area. I take vitamin E and zinc only. Occasionally take melatonin in winter time because I find it hard to sleep. I took melatonin the night before this blood test if that changes anything.

Thanks

Last edited:

mmb82

Hello, I just got my results back and not sure what it means. I am a female and I am having some issues with my moods, sleep, anxiety and craving for carbs.

(TTH, TSH) is 2.92 mIU/L
Prolactin 574,7 mIU/L (which converts to 27 if I am not mistaken)

However,
Prolactin after something which I dont understand is 263.
Active prolactin in % is 91.77%
Estradiol is 311.4
Progesteron on 21st day of the cycle was 43.8 nmol/L (which is high as the norm for that phase is 13-46)

Any idea what it means? Could prolactin be high due to the fact that I had to starve for almost 3 hours in the morning to get the blood test and felt very bad, because I am used to eat once I wake up at least something? Or could it be something else?

I eat around 3000 calories, avoid PUFA of course, lots of sugar, I come out of calories restriction, low body fat and low weight 3 years ago and lots of running but this is not the case anymore (I still run but slowly and way less and eat as much as I want). Also 3 years ago I came off of the birth control pill which I was on for 17 years and which led to menstrual cycle disappearance for 10 months. Now everything is fine in that area. I take vitamin E and zinc only. Occasionally take melatonin in winter time because I find it hard to sleep. I took melatonin the night before this blood test if that changes anything.

Thanks

Just some thoughts, though I am not sure if they will be of any help...

I am also a female that got my prolactin tested at the end of July. Mine was 48.4 ng/mL, which converts to 1042.5 mIU/L. I found out I had some gut issues (candida and other yeast overgrowth plus some minor bacterial overgrowth) that I now believe are the root of my high prolactin levels. I have not verified that they are related yet, however. I have been working to fix those GI issues for a few months now and plan to retest for yeast and bacterial overgrowth at the end of the year. If my GI test results come back negative, I plan to retest prolactin to see if my GI issues were causing (or contributing to) high prolactin levels.

OP
Hirri

Hirri

Just some thoughts, though I am not sure if they will be of any help...

I am also a female that got my prolactin tested at the end of July. Mine was 48.4 ng/mL, which converts to 1042.5 mIU/L. I found out I had some gut issues (candida and other yeast overgrowth plus some minor bacterial overgrowth) that I now believe are the root of my high prolactin levels. I have not verified that they are related yet, however. I have been working to fix those GI issues for a few months now and plan to retest for yeast and bacterial overgrowth at the end of the year. If my GI test results come back negative, I plan to retest prolactin to see if my GI issues were causing (or contributing to) high prolactin levels.

How do you know you have GI issues?

mmb82

How do you know you have GI issues?

I got a full GI panel (comprehensive stool analysis) from a lab. Once I began addressing the issue, I dumped yeast (multiple times now), which confirmed my test results. I was surprised, to be honest, because I did not really have any classic or noticeable yeast-related issues, i.e. no white thrush on my tongue, no UTIs, no signs of fungus on my skin or nails, no glaring fatigue. I was also having at least one bowel movement daily without any major digestive issues. I did have some joint pain/stiffness and dry skin (especially in the winter), but I lift weights and have dry skin every winter, so those things did not stand out.

OP
Hirri

Hirri

I got a full GI panel (comprehensive stool analysis) from a lab. Once I began addressing the issue, I dumped yeast (multiple times now), which confirmed my test results. I was surprised, to be honest, because I did not really have any classic or noticeable yeast-related issues, i.e. no white thrush on my tongue, no UTIs, no signs of fungus on my skin or nails, no glaring fatigue. I was also having at least one bowel movement daily without any major digestive issues. I did have some joint pain/stiffness and dry skin (especially in the winter), but I lift weights and have dry skin every winter, so those things did not stand out.
That is interesting. I was thinking maybe I have it too because I really do have lots of mild mental disorders, like occasional OCD and anxiety and Seasonal Affective disorder. The only thing I never looked into is my gut. And I have a history of eating a lot of sugar from bad sources. Even now, sugar is all I crave and maybe it's also because of that yeast although like you, I have no other symptoms.

mmb82

That is interesting. I was thinking maybe I have it too because I really do have lots of mild mental disorders, like occasional OCD and anxiety and Seasonal Affective disorder. The only thing I never looked into is my gut. And I have a history of eating a lot of sugar from bad sources. Even now, sugar is all I crave and maybe it's also because of that yeast although like you, I have no other symptoms.

It might be worth it to get tested for bacterial or fungal overgrowth (and parasites). I used this test. You can view a sample report on the website. The main downsides of this and any other GI tests are:

1. the cost ($200+)
2. you have to collect your own ***t in a vial 2 - 4 times within a 4 day span and
3. you likely need to put down a doctor's name so that they can send the results to an actual doctor

If you do not want to spend the money and time to do the test, you can still probably get rid of most "bad things" in your intestines by doing a round or two of anti-bacterial/anti-fungal/anti-parasitic herbs. I hear people have had success with oregano oil, for example, or using small doses (1/2 tsp) of turpentine daily for Candida. Doing a salt flush or coffee enema can also clean your intestines out.

I would suggest trying a salt flush or coffee enema to see if anything weird comes out in the toilet. If yes, you probably don't need a test to confirm that you have some work to do on rebalancing your gut. Candida usually looks like white, stringy material. It can also look frothy or mucus-like.