High Progesterone In Male

Discussion in 'Blood Work, Labs' started by hmac, Oct 3, 2019.

1. hmac

hmac Member

Recently had a few labs done. Came back with a very high progesterone level. I haven't been supplementing any hormones, or using any supplements for the last few years.

OESTRADIOL
    61.4 pmol/L
    41 - 159 R

PROGESTERONE
    0.872 nmol/L (27.4 ng/dl)
    < 0.474 R

PROLACTIN

157 mU/L (7.4 ug/L)
    86 - 324 R

Really grateful for any insight you might have. I know that oestradiol isn't the best test of oestrogen levels, but this is what was available.

2. opethfeldt

opethfeldt Member

Probably not an issue. Are you having any symptoms you think may be related?

3. OP
    hmac

hmac Member

Have some mild gyno. I was surprised to see progesterone high. Had expected to have high prolactin. I guess this could be suppressing DHT and having an anti-androgenic effect which could be related to the gyno. Probably not a bad thing in terms of general health though, I agree.

4. opethfeldt

opethfeldt Member

I find that raising test can fix progesterone related gyno. I don't think prog suppresses DHT. I believe the gyno manifests through activation of the progesterone "receptor". Progesterone, prolactin, estrogen and GH are all involved in the formation of breast tissue.

5. TomFB97

TomFB97 Member

From those units I’m guessing you’re UK based? If so, am I right in assuming you had those bloods done via medichecks?

If so, they changed the progesterone ref ranges recently, and when I acquired they couldn’t explain why. You’d fall into the normal ref range before they changed.

6. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

I was wondering if the reference range had changed.

7. OP
    hmac

hmac Member

Yes and yes. That's interesting to know, thanks for explaining.

8. TomFB97

TomFB97 Member

The old ref range used to be 0.70 - 4.30 so you’re on the lower end. My levels are usually 0.59 nmol/L, so low on the old range, but high on the new one.

I have no idea why they changed it, but the new ref range makes zero sense whatsoever.

9. lampofred

lampofred Member

That is a really massive change. Wtf.

It's like they don't want anyone to have any of it.

10. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

It’s the new normal for a sick population.

11. OP
    hmac

hmac Member

Interesting, thanks Tom. It's not just that the test used to be geared towards woman only and now they have added a men's range?

12. TomFB97

TomFB97 Member

I don’t believe so. Women don’t even have a standard reference range because their prog levels and the associated ref range changes depending on where they are in the menstrual cycle. Mid-cycle the ref range for women is 15-60 ish if I recall correctly.