High Pressure Processing Of Foods

Literally

I thought this presentation was interesting, about a subject I knew little to nothing about.
You know those little packs of sealed guacamole that started appearing a few years ago, without preservatives? That's HPP.

High pressure processing of food

SOMO

Pressurized food, like cooked food, suffers nutrition loss.

WAPF states that the issue with modern grains/breakfast cereals is the Extrusion process which is where they force the grains through tiny holes at intense pressure to make breakfast cereal shapes like O’s or 4 leaf clovers.

OP
L

Literally

WAPF is referring to a high-heat extrusion process that denatures the proteins. This is using VERY high pressure instead of heat. The pressure is roughly in equal in all directions which apparently makes food expand back close to its normal shape instead of deforming. Life processes (e.g. pathogens) are interrupted because the chemistry is not possible at high pressure. But they are saying the integrity of smaller molecules is quite good. Among other things this means much better flavor.

If you look at the slides they are claiming many specifics on nutrients and flavors that are at higher levels than using a heat-based process, while destroying pathogens. Admittedly, none of our ancestors would have used this method.

Those looking to avoid this method might want to look at the later slides where there is a photo of a bunch of commercial products.

SOMO

WAPF is referring to a high-heat extrusion process that denatures the proteins. This is using VERY high pressure instead of heat. The pressure is roughly in equal in all directions which apparently makes food expand back close to its normal shape instead of deforming. Life processes (e.g. pathogens) are interrupted because the chemistry is not possible at high pressure. But they are saying the integrity of smaller molecules is quite good. Among other things this means much better flavor.

If you look at the slides they are claiming many specifics on nutrients and flavors that are at higher levels than using a heat-based process, while destroying pathogens. Admittedly, none of our ancestors would have used this method.

Those looking to avoid this method might want to look at the later slides where there is a photo of a bunch of commercial products.

I never understood WAPF's argument about denaturing proteins during high-pressure extrusion somehow creating "Toxic" compounds because cooking under regular pressure denatures proteins as well. Does cooking oatmeal or sourdough bread create these toxic compounds too?

Also I've seen studies with starch (legumes and grains) that is extruded and it increases digestibility of the carbohydrate, which according to RP would be a good thing.

There's also a style of cooking called Sous Vide which uses both boiling + an occlusive layer (like cooking in oil) + pressure.

Generally the most "raw" a food is while still being "cooked" Enough to cook pathogens, the healthier and nutritious it will be IMO. The most difficult thing is gauging where in the realm of cooking methods HPP is - I presume it's similar to boiling or steaming food which are considered the most "gentle" methods of cooking.

OP
L

Literally

I am also a bit skeptical of the "denatured protein" concept. However I can see where a high heat extrusion process would be disrupting vitamins.

In the past I have eschewed pressure cookers. In my case I am around the house a lot and I figure why not cook the traditional way.

But I'm more open to food being processed with this high pressure method. If they can make guac that doesn't require preservatives... I will buy it!

Inaut

I mainly use my instant pot to cook potatoes/sweet potatoes and mushroom soup. It works well for both IMO

OP
L

Literally

I would be much more concerned about the nonstick lining on the Instant Pot.

OP
L

Literally

Nice! I have been ignoring Instant Pot because I didn't know that was an option.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals