High Potassium Helps To Increase Muscle Mass Compared To Low Potassium Diet In Mice

zarrin77

High potassium was good for the kidneys and had a beneficial effect on muscle growth:

Too little potassium in your diet, less IGF-1 in your muscles

FA15C830-BBEA-4F72-9200-B81B492AAD4E.gif

I have just realised what a powerhouse chestnuts are and I am going to make them a regular in my diet.

Chestnuts, European, raw, unpeeled (Castanea sativa),
Nutritional value per 100 g.

Principle
Nutrient Value Percentage of RDA
Energy 213 Kcal 11%
Carbohydrates 45.54 g 35%
Protein 2.42 g 4%
Total Fat 2.26 g 10%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Dietary Fiber 8.1 g 21%
Vitamins
Folates 62 µg 15.5%
Niacin 1.179 mg 7%
Pantothenic acid 0.509 mg 11%
Pyridoxine 0.376 mg 29%
Riboflavin 0.168 mg 13%
Thiamin 0.238 mg 20%
Vitamin A 28 IU 1%
Vitamin C 43 mg 72%
Electrolytes
Sodium 3 mg 0%
Potassium 518 mg 11%
Minerals
Calcium 27 mg 3%
Copper 0.447 mg 50%
Iron 1.01 mg 13%
Magnesium 32 mg 8%
Manganese 0.952 mg 41%
Phosphorus 93 mg 19%
Zinc 0.52 mg 5%
Phyto-nutrients
Phyto-sterols 22 µg --

That vitamin C figure is amazing plus a decent amount of Potassium :hungry:

B___Danny

Any thoughts on the idea that Insulin is mostly a stress hormone that is secreted when insufficient potassium is available to shuttle glucose into the cell?

JohnA

Cool. Probably another reason why milk is such a good bulking food (beyond the good balance of calories from sugars, proteins, and saturated fats).

lvysaur

Any thoughts on the idea that Insulin is mostly a stress hormone that is secreted when insufficient potassium is available to shuttle glucose into the cell?
I never knew potassium could shuttle glucose into the cell. Apparently potassium channels in the β-cells and islets determine the insulin response. Lack of potassium channels (which I read as analogous to lack of potassium) resulted in chronically high insulin

Potassium Channels Rule over Insulin Release with an Ion Fist

To test this proposal, Rocheleau et al. used transgenic mice whose islets contained a mixture of β-cells with normal potassium channels and β-cells with channels that can't transfer potassium ions. When dispersed in culture, cells carrying the deficient potassium channels were permanently depolarized, and secreted insulin regardless of glucose concentration. But within the islets, they behaved exactly like their normal counterparts: in low glucose concentrations they were polarized, and when glucose concentration reached one gram per liter they became depolarized and took up calcium to the same extent as their normal neighbors. In the presence of a chemical that disrupts gap junctions, however, cells with normal and mutated channels regained their independent responses to glucose.

The authors conclude that the cells carrying an active potassium channel impose their polarized state on neighboring cells, presumably via the free circulation of ions through gap junctions. In a normal pancreas, they propose that a few glucose-resistant cells could clamp others in a polarized state, thereby stamping out natural variations in glucose sensitivity and reducing noise in insulin release.

Here's another weird tidbit: Diabetics with higher insulin-resistance, also have higher potassium levels: A relationship between serum potassium concentration and insulin resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus

Last edited:

Recoen

I never knew potassium could shuttle glucose into the cell. Apparently potassium channels in the β-cells and islets determine the insulin response. Lack of potassium channels (which I read as analogous to lack of potassium) resulted in chronically high insulin

Potassium Channels Rule over Insulin Release with an Ion Fist

Here's another weird tidbit: Diabetics with higher insulin-resistance, also have higher potassium levels: A relationship between serum potassium concentration and insulin resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus
Because the K isn’t able to get into the cell in a low ATP/CO2 state and Na substitutes. Gilbert Ling discusses this - he talks about their c-value. But if you look up the hydrated vs unhydrated diameters of Na+ and K+ it’s pretty clear why. Also tons of ions go through the Ca+2 “channels” based on their hydrated diameters.

https://electrobionics.org/ionic_radii.pdf

L-type Ca 2+ channels provide a major pathway for iron entry into cardiomyocytes in iron-overload cardiomyopathy | Nature Medicine

Katelove

This is very interesting. I am in this position. I have diabetes and high potassium. My blood pressure is very high as well. Feels tricky to treat the blood pressure, since a lot of advice is to take potassium containing supplements. I have been on medications and really want to treat it more naturally. I am doing a low fat, plant-based diet. I am conflicted about using animal products because of the fats. Thank you for the article.

Pretty cool that potassium was beneficial for the kidneys.

This is very interesting. I am in this position. I have diabetes and high potassium. My blood pressure is very high as well. Feels tricky to treat the blood pressure, since a lot of advice is to take potassium containing supplements. I have been on medications and really want to treat it more naturally. I am doing a low fat, plant-based diet. I am conflicted about using animal products because of the fats. Thank you for the article.
Have you tried thyroid?

Vitamin B12 lowers blood potassium, and I think it does that by helping to put potassium inside the cell( which is where you want it to be). This may be why Max Gerson administered liver juice to his patients.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals