High-oleic sunflower oil?

Collden

I've noticed that here in France practically all brands of potato chips are fried in high-oleic sunflower oil. Does anyone know if Peat has commented on this oil? It would seem to be a rather healthy fat at first glance, its PUFA content is just slightly higher than butter (about 3,6g / 100g), but the vitamin E content apparently the same as for regular sunflower oil, which would make its Vitamin E to PUFA ratio vastly greater than any other fat. Good way to get vitamin E without the PUFAs?

pete

Coconut oil is the only safe vegetable oil in my experience (macadamia, olive, hybrid sunflower), even better than animal fats (grain feed), but even coconut oil in store-bought foods is a cause for concern (reused, old, oxidized).

The patent on high oleic sunflower oil and seed has expired. Thus, more companies are getting involved in producing and merchandizing this oil. However, for the near term at least, it will continue to be grown on a contracted acre basis with customer needs driving total acres. As with all sunflower, high oleic hybrids have been developed through conventional breeding methods.

pete said:
Coconut oil is the only safe vegetable oil in my experience (macadamia, olive, hybrid sunflower), even better than animal fats (grain feed), but even coconut oil in store-bought foods is a cause for concern (reused, old, oxidized).

The patent on high oleic sunflower oil and seed has expired. Thus, more companies are getting involved in producing and merchandizing this oil. However, for the near term at least, it will continue to be grown on a contracted acre basis with customer needs driving total acres. As with all sunflower, high oleic hybrids have been developed through conventional breeding methods.

Interesting. There goes the idea of filling up the frydaddy with coconut oil.

pboy

High Oleic Sunflower Oil

I just researched and bought some of this oil (and consumed some!)...and it appears to be very Peat friendly and beneficial

http://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/5665/
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/623/2 (Scroll down to see nutrition info)

Almost no PUFA, almost all oleic acid...shelf stable, organic, highly usable in cooking, and extremely high vitamin E. I could see it being an awesome combo if used in tandem
with coconut oil to manage / dispel excess PUFA

What do you guys think...I may be missing something

key

Re: High Oleic Sunflower Oil

looks alright 1 tb gives 0.5g pufa and 6mg vitamin e

coconut oil is probably still better since it only has 0.2g pufa per TB and about half its fat is lauric acid

J

j.

Does anyone know Peat's thoughts on High Oleic Sunflower Oil?

pboy

I think its a relatively new oil, maybe someone could email him (I never have)

Jenn

Think of things in terms of saturated fats vs unsaturated fats...even olive oil is an unsaturated fat, though mostly mono-unsaturated. You need at least 50 percent saturated fat to unsaturated fat for protection. If you have any inflammation issues (arthritis, heart disease, cancer, fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, etc.), the number probably needs to be higher.

It's ok. The need for vitamin E is based on the levels of unsaturated fats in the diet. If you don't eat unsaturated fats, you don't need vitamin E.

kiran

Jenn said:
It's ok. The need for vitamin E is based on the levels of unsaturated fats in the diet. If you don't eat unsaturated fats, you don't need vitamin E.

Unless you have issues with Heme Oxygenase. Then vit E might be useful.

J

j.

If you don't eat PUFA, but you haven't been avoiding it regularly for the last 4 years, don't you still need vitamin e to counteract the PUFA that is released from the stores to the bloodstream?

Jenn

I am not saying it can't be beneficial, just that the need for it is linked to the pufa levels. If you only ever used coconut oil, your need would be zero. A diet high in plant oils will increase the need for vit E significantly. In the plants themselves, high vitamin E levels will correspond to high PUFA levels, hence soy being the main source of vitamin E. In ruminants, fresh grass and forage provide all the vit E they need....and therefore will affect the milk in a positive way. Vitamin E degrades rapidly in storage in all foods, so hay at the end of season may lack vitamin E or stored grains may lack vit E. Vitamin E supplementation in ruminants is known for mastitis prevention and can sweeten the milk. My personal take is that grains going rancid is the vitamin E running out.

A diet high in coconut oil is will also protect against old PUFAs. Gelatin repairs the scar tissue caused by PUFAS as well.