High Oelic Peanut Butter

Liam

One of the foods i eat regularly is Sanitarium's Natural Peanut Butter. usually i wouldn't eat peanut butter, but if you check the link, PUFA makes up only 4% of the total composition (the product is selectively bred for high oleic peanuts). Also, there are no additives in the products (it is 100% peanuts).

I would be interested to get views as to any negatives I may be overlooking, and whether a few tablespoons per week will likely cause any issues?

Cheers

Douglas Ek

One of the foods i eat regularly is Sanitarium's Natural Peanut Butter. usually i wouldn't eat peanut butter, but if you check the link, PUFA makes up only 4% of the total composition (the product is selectively bred for high oleic peanuts). Also, there are no additives in the products (it is 100% peanuts).

I would be interested to get views as to any negatives I may be overlooking, and whether a few tablespoons per week will likely cause any issues?

Cheers

I just googled oleic acid for another article and found this on wikipedia.

Adverse effects also have been documented, however, since both oleic and monounsaturated fatty acid levels in the membranes of red blood cells have been associated with increased risk of breast cancer,[29]

This is most likely due to oleic acid being estrogenic and increasing prostaglandins just like PUFA.

Another study I just found

Elicitation of estrogenic and antiandrogenic mechanisms by oleic acid in pubertal male rats | SFEBES2016

Here it increased estrogen and prolactin and lowered androgens.

Oleic acid induces specific alterations in the morphology, gene expression and steroid hormone production of cultured bovine granulosa cells. - PubMed - NCBI

Reduced sensitivity to FSH

Oleic acid inhibits cholesteryl esterase and cholesterol utilization for testosterone synthesis in mouse Leydig cells. - PubMed - NCBI

Oleic acud appears to inhibit testosterone synthesis by inhibiting cholesteryl esterase activity.

So lots of research pointing that it lowers testosterone and sperm production while increasing estrogen and cancer.

Another study showed it increasing Sex hormone binding globuline by 20% thus lowering your active free testosterone

"SHBG serum levels were significantly higher in subjects using olive oil (high oleic acid) for cooking in comparison with subjects using sunflower oil. The SHBG levels correlated positively with MUFA (p < 0.001) and negatively with saturated fatty acids (p = 0.003)." (Sáez-López. 2013)

Aaron

Adverse effects also have been documented, however, since both oleic and monounsaturated fatty acid levels in the membranes of red blood cells have been associated with increased risk of breast cancer,[29]

This is most likely due to oleic acid being estrogenic and increasing prostaglandins just like PUFA.

Elicitation of estrogenic and antiandrogenic mechanisms by oleic acid in pubertal male rats | SFEBES2016

Oleic acid induces specific alterations in the morphology, gene expression and steroid hormone production of cultured bovine granulosa cells. - PubMed - NCBI

Oleic acid inhibits cholesteryl esterase and cholesterol utilization for testosterone synthesis in mouse Leydig cells. - PubMed - NCBI

Oleic acud appears to inhibit testosterone synthesis by inhibiting cholesteryl esterase activity.

So lots of research pointing that it lowers testosterone and sperm production while increasing estrogen and cancer.

Another study showed it increasing Sex hormone binding globuline by 20% thus lowering your active free testosterone

"SHBG serum levels were significantly higher in subjects using olive oil (high oleic acid) for cooking in comparison with subjects using sunflower oil. The SHBG levels correlated positively with MUFA (p < 0.001) and negatively with saturated fatty acids (p = 0.003)." (Sáez-López. 2013)

Very high quality post man!!

Peatful

ddjd

Are all the high oleic oils, such as high oleic sunflower oil used for most brands of chips (crisps for us Brits), are they genetically modified?

Douglas Ek

Are all the high oleic oils, such as high oleic sunflower oil used for most brands of chips (crisps for us Brits), are they genetically modified?

Why you wondering? Either its oleic acid or it’s PUFA. Both probably has the same effects in your body. These oils and nuts aren’t normal in nature. They are man made. Nuts are normal and in my opinion a few nuts is nothing dangerous just as eating olives and it’s flesh. They have vitamin E and lots of minerals. But I would eat nuts very rarely anyway. No other animal can produce an oil from seed or nuts like we can. They don’t take 1000 of olives and cold press them in machines to extract the oils. Its not natural for them to exist. Same goes for peanut butter is filled with oil. Crisps/chips fried in oil. Its not a natural. 100 years ago we didnt have access to any of these oils except for olive oil has been around for thousands. But in my opinion eating olives with the flesh and all the other antioxidants in them is healthier probably.

ddjd

Why you wondering? Either its oleic acid or it’s PUFA. Both probably has the same effects in your body. These oils and nuts aren’t normal in nature. They are man made. Nuts are normal and in my opinion a few nuts is nothing dangerous just as eating olives and it’s flesh. They have vitamin E and lots of minerals. But I would eat nuts very rarely anyway. No other animal can produce an oil from seed or nuts like we can. They don’t take 1000 of olives and cold press them in machines to extract the oils. Its not natural for them to exist. Same goes for peanut butter is filled with oil. Crisps/chips fried in oil. Its not a natural. 100 years ago we didnt have access to any of these oils except for olive oil has been around for thousands. But in my opinion eating olives with the flesh and all the other antioxidants in them is healthier probably.
oleic is predominantly MUFA - monounsaturated fatty acids, so its literally not PUFA, and therefore doesnt have the same effect in the body

Douglas Ek

oleic is predominantly MUFA - monounsaturated fatty acids, so its literally not PUFA, and therefore doesnt have the same effect in the body

He was asking what they use to fry british potato chips in. I said either its MUFA or PUFA as in either its sunflower oil or geneticly modified high oleic acid sunflower oil which still higher in MUFA than normal also has high PUFA at least for a peater. What does it matter? I wouldn’t eat a lot of a MUFA like oleic acid anyway regarding the scientific evidence against it and as earlier mentioned the research travis and haidut found on it about alhzeimers etc. Obviously I know the difference between a monosaturated fatty acid and a poly where as poly has more unsaturated bonds and mono only one. But that doesn’t mean a mono can’t oxidize. Just means it’s more stable. What was the point of your comment? All oils will most likely have a certain degree of PUFA and MUFA except maybe coconut oil being close to the purest. But they will have different ratios which matters. But you already know that. Just gonna point that out for you so you don’t feel the need to explain.

tara

Same goes for peanut butter is filled with oil.
Real peanut butter is crushed and ground peanuts. I think if you eat fresh crushed and ground peanuts in small to moderate amounts, as in a good quality fresh peanut butter that has nothing else added, it's like eating the peanuts. A little now and then is probably no big deal for most people, but large amounts may well be a burden?
I've resumed eating a few peanuts now and then for variety and because I feel like it. But not many (probably < 200g in 3-4 mths).

BigChad

Hey man i don't get this. Isn't 50% of beef fat, and 40% of whole milk fat monounsaturated, the majority of which is oleic acid? Id imagine most people are getting more oleic acid from milk and beef than olive oil. I thought ray said we produce oleic acid. I remember seeing that beef and milk come with nearly the same amount of sfa and mufa

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals