High Metabolism Makes Mice Double Their Lifespan And Be More Reproductive!

Mauritio

Hi,
I dont know if this study has been posted before. I couldn't find anything through the search function though. Even if it was posted before it is probably worth another read... It is revolutionary in some ways,although it actually just proves RP right in many ways.

So they injected the enzyme Pepck-cmus into mice, which makes them hypermetabolic.
The mice were 7-10 times more active !! Beeing able to run 5km at once (a mouse!) They were consuming more food while having less body fat ,which indicates a high metabolism. And they lived almost 2 years longer than normal mice ( normal mice live 2-3 years at max) so they DOUBLED their LIFESPAN !

Only downside is that the scientists said they became very aggressive.

Born to run; the story of the PEPCK-Cmus mouse

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

CaseyL

Very interesting, it's nice to see some studies that aren't manacled by the calorie-restriction dogma. The fact that calorie restriction reliably extends lifespan doesn't imply that it's the only way to do so, or the best way. This simple point seems utterly lost on most who study aging and health.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Very interesting, it's nice to see some studies that aren't manacled by the calorie-restriction dogma. The fact that calorie restriction reliably extends lifespan doesn't imply that it's the only way to do so, or the best way. This simple point seems utterly lost on most who study aging and health.
I am going to quote the study as i think they really put it into the right words .
And I would also love to see some further research on PECK-Cmus, which they said themselves was needed (10 years ago) so hopefully i will find something. I find this subject and the drastic changes one enzyme makes extremely fascinating.

This is especially important since the mice violate one of the pillars of aging research, namely that limiting food intake increases longevity. This general principle is supported by studies with species from flies to rats, and seems well grounded in the literature. If correct, the results with the PEPCK-Cmus mice imply that it is not the number of calories consumed, but what happens to these calories one they are consumed! The mice eat almost twice as much as control animals but because of their hyperactivity, utilize the excess calories to satisfy their energy demands. Perhaps the new paradigm in aging research should be that sustained activity extends life spanAt this point, both the extended life span and the prolonged reproductive capacity of the PEPCK-Cmus mice need detailed study before hard conclusions, rather than speculation, will be forthcoming.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Only thing I dont get is why they become so aggressive. Maybe low blood sugar ? @haidut

I tried to find more info on their aggression and there is not much information. Sometimes, what gets reported as aggression is actually healthy behavior. For example, given the illusion of serotonin as happy hormone, many mice are compared behaviorally to mice who are used to living in a cafe their whole lives and exposed to all sorts of stresses. So, a mouse in learned helplessness mode will indeed be quite docile. A normal (or wild type as they are called) mouse will often bite the stick when prodded by humans and bite the cages trying to get free. This is actually normal behavior but it is considered highly aggressive in research cycles. Wild mice do not like to sit all day staring at a wall or react robotically and awkwardly like a zombie when challenged. Healthy organisms fight back when tormented.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I tried to find more info on their aggression and there is not much information. Sometimes, what gets reported as aggression is actually healthy behavior. For example, given the illusion of serotonin as happy hormone, many mice are compared behaviorally to mice who are used to living in a cafe their whole lives and exposed to all sorts of stresses. So, a mouse in learned helplessness mode will indeed be quite docile. A normal (or wild type as they are called) mouse will often bite the stick when prodded by humans and bite the cages trying to get free. This is actually normal behavior but it is considered highly aggressive in research cycles. Wild mice do not like to sit all day staring at a wall or react robotically and awkwardly like a zombie when challenged. Healthy organisms fight back when tormented.

Did you contact the authors of the study? I might do that. Especially because I want to know why there was no further research on that topic.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Did you contact the authors of the study? I might do that. Especially because I want to know why there was no further research on that topic.

I have not, as I am not near a computer right now so it would be heard to type a long email. Please feel free to email them. I would be curious to hear what they have to say.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I have not, as I am not near a computer right now so it would be heard to type a long email. Please feel free to email them. I would be curious to hear what they have to say.
I might be writing them on the weekend. I'll let you know.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

5 km run is quite a lot. I wonder if it was all out endurance or was the it able to keep conversation.
what do you mean by "able to keep conversation" ?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

How do you normally contact study authors or find their email-adress? I tried to contact them but one of the authors unfortunately passed away and I couldn't find the email-adress of the other one...

haidut

Forum Supporter
How do you normally contact study authors or find their email-adress? I tried to contact them but one of the authors unfortunately passed away and I couldn't find the email-adress of the other one...

If you find the full text of the study their email are usually in the study text. If not, then Googling their names usually reveals where they work and often their contact info. There is no magic formula, just searching their name until you find something with their contact info on it.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

If you find the full text of the study their email are usually in the study text. If not, then Googling their names usually reveals where they work and often their contact info. There is no magic formula, just searching their name until you find something with their contact info on it.
Yep thats what I did ,excect of the full text search ,i' ll try that ;)

I think this calorie restriction thing is factoring in the abysmally low TDEE of sedentary people. If you're highly active, you can eat way more, and that will keep the engine rolling at full steam (thyroid, sex hormones, neurotransmitters). Of course, if your source of calories isn't chock full of vitamins and minerals, the lack of micro nutrition might bite back.

The Tarahumara Diet

^here, 2800kcal in males, who may be smaller framed than the average white guy?

I wouldn't be surprised if the higher aggression comes from more hormones. Low T kids are more docile.