High Levels Of (endurance) Physical Activity Increase Risk Of CVD

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study compared levels of physical activity (most often "endurance" exercise) and found that those in the highest titre have much higher risk of CVD compared to moderate or light activity. In light of the recent threads that starting and then stopping "endurance" exercise can make a person insulin resistant through increase in cortisol synthesis (11b-HSD1), and that cortisol causes vascular calcification, the findings of this study are quite plausible.
Exercise + Fasting Is Stress, Causes Obesity And IR, And Requires Cortisol Blockade To Reverse
Cortisol And Aldosterone Cause Vascular Calcification

I would like to see an intervention study which compares concentric exercise with "endurance" exercise and sedentary people. I would no be surprised if the sedentary people come in second and end up being healthier than the runners/bikers/swimmers/etc.

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(17)30577-3/fulltext
"...Conclusion: White individuals who participated in 3 times the recommended PA guidelines over 25 years had higher odds of developing coronary subclinical atherosclerosis by middle age. These findings warrant further exploration, especially by race, into possible biological mechanisms for CAC risk at very high levels of PA."

L

lollipop

It was interesting that blacks seem to benefit more from and can tolerate more exercise. Also moderate levels of exercise were found to be beneficial. How does Peat respond to all the studies that keep showing exercise in moderation is beneficial?

More on the benefits of exercise:

Peatarian Reviews: Exercise at reasonable doses is beneficial to health
From what I understand and remember hearing in Peat’s interviews, he supports light and moderate exercise. I do personally yoga everyday and rebound/walk 2-3 times a week. I feel awesome. My body and joints love the daily movement. Extremes either direction seem to be the problem.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
It was interesting that blacks seem to benefit more from and can tolerate more exercise. Also moderate levels of exercise were found to be beneficial. How does Peat respond to all the studies that keep showing exercise in moderation is beneficial?

Exercise can be good, if it is done at a pace/intensity that allows you to hold a conversation and if it is a fun activity (as opposed to some kind of rut).
Anything above that and you start to hyperventilate (lactic acid rises). Even the light/moderate activity have to be capped as if you run out of glycogen cortisol/adrenaline rise and that starts the whole bad cascade thus negating the benefits. So, it really depends on your health status and age. For a hypo person I would not recommend exercising beyond some light weight training, until metabolism is normalized. Broda Barnes and Peat seem to feel the same way as far as I can see.

aguilaroja

The study compared levels of physical activity (most often "endurance" exercise) and found that those in the highest titre have much higher risk of CVD compared to moderate or light activity....
Exercise + Fasting Is Stress, Causes Obesity And IR, And Requires Cortisol Blockade To Reverse
Cortisol And Aldosterone Cause Vascular Calcification
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(17)30577-3/fulltext
"...Conclusion: White individuals who participated in 3 times the recommended PA guidelines over 25 years had higher odds of developing coronary subclinical atherosclerosis by middle age. These findings warrant further exploration, especially by race, into possible biological mechanisms for CAC risk at very high levels of PA."

This is an anecdote, but a pretty notable one nonetheless, in a previous generation.
JAMES F. FIXX DIES JOGGING; AUTHOR ON RUNNING WAS 52
“James F. Fixx, who spurred the jogging craze with his best-selling books about running and preached the gospel that active people live longer, died of a heart attack Friday while on a solitary jog in Vermont. He was 52 years old.”

Dobbler

Exercise can be good, if it is done at a pace/intensity that allows you to hold a conversation and if it is a fun activity (as opposed to some kind of rut).
Anything above that and you start to hyperventilate (lactic acid rises). Even the light/moderate activity have to be capped as if you run out of glycogen cortisol/adrenaline rise and that starts the whole bad cascade thus negating the benefits. So, it really depends on your health status and age. For a hypo person I would not recommend exercising beyond some light weight training, until metabolism is normalized. Broda Barnes and Peat seem to feel the same way as far as I can see.

I think ive asked this before but would a gentle nature walking be safe for hypo?

DuggaDugga

I would pile on that a hypothyroid person will likely benefit from ripe fruit directly after exercise. Fructose to potentiate the glucose's ability to stimulate insulin and thereby replenishing whole body- including the liver- glycogen stores and curbing the stress response in as efficient a manner as possible.

artlange

This is an anecdote, but a pretty notable one nonetheless, in a previous generation.
JAMES F. FIXX DIES JOGGING; AUTHOR ON RUNNING WAS 52
“James F. Fixx, who spurred the jogging craze with his best-selling books about running and preached the gospel that active people live longer, died of a heart attack Friday while on a solitary jog in Vermont. He was 52 years old.”
Thinking he was immune from having heart attacks, Fixx ate very poorly. He probably was hypothyroid from all of the running.

jitsmonkey

I think ive asked this before but would a gentle nature walking be safe for hypo?

Ray has repeatedly spoken and written to the topic of living an interesting life.
I'm certain provided you're not breathing heavier than just normal relaxing or slightly more
an enjoyable relaxed stroll in nature would be wonderful.
Of course you need to be addressing your hypo directly and fueling your activity and provided that's
happening all of your enjoyable, minimal exertion, engaging activities should be highly profitable.
The idea is not "exercise/activity" is bad. The idea is "compulsory/unnecessarily habitual" exercise is bad. Exercising outside your ability to safely adapt and fuel is bad.
Using your pulse/temp/mood/sleep quality, etc... will tell you all you need to know about "is your nature walking
a positive impact on your hypo" (or any "exercise/activity" you do for that matter)

Last edited:

Constatine

What about high intensity exercises for a short duration of time like sprints. People seem to respond pretty well to it.

Mthrash

Sorry Haidut.. but these finds always seem so self serving for those that don't want to exert themselves any longer.. My view: if you don't enjoy it, don't do it; but don't assuage your guilt by promoting weak studies that "justify" preferred beliefs.

DaveFoster

Note the study included Americans from major cities, so American blacks and not African blacks.

Selective pressures (as with African enslavement) placed upon blacks in prior U.S. history may have predisposed black populations to greater tolerance for endurance exercise. A gentleman who worked for a sports broadcast network suggested an advantage in areas of aerobic exercise in American blacks, and they fired him for a statement of such political inexpedience.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What about high intensity exercises for a short duration of time like sprints. People seem to respond pretty well to it.

That's probably fine but should still be done in a glycogen-only state. Once glycogen runs out even short duration exertion will lead to lipolysis and trigger the stress reaction.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Sorry Haidut.. but these finds always seem so self serving for those that don't want to exert themselves any longer.. My view: if you don't enjoy it, don't do it; but don't assuage your guilt by promoting weak studies that "justify" preferred beliefs.

As a former college NCAA I athletes and winner of multiple marathons, I am not trying to excuse slothfulness. Did you read the actual study? The key discussion point here (and the study itself) is HIGH level of physical exercise being damaging, not just any exercise. And it mostly applies to endurance type exercises. The overall discussion is to participate in activities/sports that are glycogen-bound and build muscle, not waste it through increased cortisol and lipolysis while simultaneously ruining your metabolism, steroid balance, liver health, and adapt you to a state of chronic stress. That's pretty much the main message of the forum itself, whether it is done through exercise, diet, social activities or any combination of those.

Constatine

That's probably fine but should still be done in a glycogen-only state. Once glycogen runs out even short duration exertion will lead to lipolysis and trigger the stress reaction.
Yeah before Peat I used to sprint on an empty stomach...Wasn't the best decision of my life.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Not sure about HIIT @haidut. This study seems to say it alters glucose metabolism in the brain:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171027141556.htm

Right, hence my statement of keeping it glycogen-bound. Most people probably overdo HIIT and enter the lipolysis state every time they do it. I did not recommend HIIT, I just said it could be good if done right.
As you can see, some people here accuse me of promoting sloth. So it's not like I am promoting exercising till you drop :):

L

lollipop

As you can see, some people here accuse me of promoting sloth. So it's not like I am promoting exercising till you drop :):
LoL @haidut, some of us on here know you do not. I am seriously impressed how you remain calm and poised in the face of so much criticism. Rock solid modeling for people.