High Hemoglobin

Mary Pruter

What can be done for a high hemoglobin. High red blood cel count? Are there foods that I should avoid? Besides having blood drawn, is there anything else thar can be done? Are veggies rich in iron something i should avoid?

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

Wish I knew how to delete this....no help with it. Going to post another thread and see if I get any help with it!!!!!

tankasnowgod

Wish I knew how to delete this....no help with it. Going to post another thread and see if I get any help with it!!!!!

How high is it? I don't think you normally want to target hemoglobin to be lower unless you're blood gets too thick. In which case, it's usually blood donation.

vulture

I usually have higher range HGB too, and recently slight above range. Don’t know what it could mean.

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

I usually have higher range HGB too, and recently slight above range. Don’t know what it could mean.
Do you smoke? Does anyone else in your family have it? I was told by my doctor that it's because I smoke. I told him, but my mother and my sister don't smoke and theirs is high also, as high as mine. He said, it inherited then. He said people have high hemoglobin levels are there because they smoke or it's inheritable.

vulture

No, I don’t. My father smoked for some years. I was wondering on relationship to iron

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

No, I don’t. My father smoked for some years. I was wondering on relationship to iron
I wouldn't know about that. You might get help here, you might not. You can try Perfect Health Diet group, they respond right away and you don't have to try to figure out where you need to post lime here. PHD has a Facebook group.

Kyle Bigman

Could be due to hemolytic anemia. Basically the red blood cell breaks apart so the hemoglobin is left free circulating.

Kyle Bigman

Hmm. What can be done about it?
I'm not sure. you have to determine the cause, often it is autoimmune. But, now that I have done more research it is unlikely you have hemolytic anemia if your hemoglobin is high.

Do you have high hematocrit as well? if so, you could have polythycemia. other tests that are useful for diagnosis would be a high b12, low ferritin, and I believe low erythrocyte protein level. Basically this is a disease where the bone marrow produces too many red blood cells. I may have it. myelofibrosis and these blood disorders run in my family. So they can be genetic or due to encountering some radiation or some industrial chemicals.

yerrag

I'm not sure but it may be the body's way to compensate for low oxygenation. Since it affects your mother as well, and if you live in the same household, it could be an environmental cause rather than genetic. Mercury toxicity could cause your red blood cells to carry less oxygen than it should. I believe that hemoglobin carries 4 oxygen molecules. The oxygen is released to the tissues and the hemoglobin gets more oxygen from the lungs. If mercury is present, instead of oxygen being attached to hemoglobin, it is displaced by mercury. As more sites are displaced, the less and less oxygen is carried by hemoglobin. So the body would increase henoglobin to compensate for the lack of oxygen carrying capacity.

Your doctor is not trained to look at this angle. Going to a naturopathic doctor may help. He'll send you to a Quest Diagnostic Center for bloodwork to test mercury toxicity.

Your values are really high. I'm slightly high already at 14.5.

OP
Mary Pruter

Mary Pruter

I'm not sure. you have to determine the cause, often it is autoimmune. But, now that I have done more research it is unlikely you have hemolytic anemia if your hemoglobin is high.

Do you have high hematocrit as well? if so, you could have polythycemia. other tests that are useful for diagnosis would be a high b12, low ferritin, and I believe low erythrocyte protein level. Basically this is a disease where the bone marrow produces too many red blood cells. I may have it. myelofibrosis and these blood disorders run in my family. So they can be genetic or due to encountering some radiation or some industrial chemicals.
Wow! The doctors have never told me of any other issues they've seen with my blood. I do know that the high hemoglobin runs in my family. Rich Homie all I can do is have blood drawn, that's about it. No other issues and draw blood. I will ask about the others that you mentioned next time I go! Thank you.

IVILA

I believe it has something to do with higher levels of iron. Too much production of rbc due to excess iron in the system.

yerrag

I believe it has something to do with higher levels of iron. Too much production of rbc due to excess iron in the system.
No. Too much iron will show up as high serum iron and if you do a transferrin saturation test you can further confirm high iron.

High iron does not cause high RBC but low iron will cause low RBC.

Last edited:

IVILA

No. Too much iron will show up as high serum iron and if you do a transferring saturation test you can further confirm high iron.

High iron does not cause high RBC but low iron will cause low RBC.
it doesn't always show up as high serum iron... but high hemoglobin also pretty much means that you have high iron as well. According to the world and Morley Robbins

yerrag

yeah... but high hemoglobin also pretty much means that you have high iron as well. According to the world and Morley Robbins
It could also mean dehydration, or low blood volume. I have to hear Morley Robbins explanation for why he thinks so.

IVILA

It could also mean dehydration, or low blood volume. I have to hear Morley Robbins explanation for why he thinks so.
no man. That's most likely not the case. It means that your blood is packed with iron if you have higher levels of hemoglobin. The darker/blacker the blood also means higher hemoglobin.

yerrag

1616884619658.png

yerrag

I'd like to hear what Morley Robbins says.