High Heat Cooking

DaveFoster

I found the following excerpt from Peat's article entitled "Fats and degeneration."
When meat is grilled at a high temperature, the normally spaced double bonds in PUFA migrate towards each other, becoming more stable, so that linoleic acid is turned into “conjugated linoleic acid.” This analog of the “essential” linoleic acid competes against the linoleic acid in tissues, and protects against cancer, atherosclerosis, inflammation and other effects of the normal PUFA. Presumably, anything which interferes with the essential fatty acids is protective, when the organism contains dangerous amounts of PUFA. Even the trans-isomers of the unsaturated fatty acids (found in butterfat, and convertible into conjugated linoleic acid) can be protective against cancer.
This really stood out to me, as I frequent a lot of raw foodist forums, and Peat gives a plausible explanation for the evolutionary purpose and biological advantage behind cooking meat. Fantastic!

jyb

Apparently CLA/omega PUFA ratio increases with grass-fed beef and with milk that is fermented. There are quite a few studies analysing the PUFA composition of various meat and milk products. CLA has a good reputation in scientific studies.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

You're telling that to a guy with a 36 gallon bucket of beef tallow in his garage. I'm definitely a fan of CLA, but I much prefer the MCT's in coconut oil.

Here's an interesting little study I found about the interactions of coconut oil and CLA. Surprisingly, the mice lacked "essential" fatty acids in their diet, but they still lost weight. Go figure.

Dietary coconut oil increases conjugated linoleic acid-induced body fat loss in mice independent of essential fatty acid deficiency.
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) induces a body fat loss that is enhanced in mice fed coconut oil (CO), which lacks essential fatty acids (EFA). Our objective was to determine if CO enhancement of CLA-induced body fat loss is due to the lack of EFA. The CLA-EFA interaction was tested by feeding CO and fat free (FF) diets for varying times with and without replenishment of individual EFA. Mice fed CO during only the 2-week CLA-feeding period did not differ from control mice in their adipose EFA content but still tended (P=0.06) to be leaner than mice fed soy oil (SO). Mice raised on CO or FF diets and fed CLA were leaner than the SO+CLA-fed mice (P<0.01). Mice raised on CO and then replenished with linoleic, linolenic, or arachidonic acid were leaner when fed CLA than mice raised on SO (P<0.001). Body fat of CO+CLA-fed mice was not affected by EFA addition. In summary, CO-fed mice not lacking in tissue EFA responded more to CLA than SO-fed mice. Also, EFA addition to CO diets did not alter the enhanced response to CLA. Therefore, the increased response to CLA in mice raised on CO or FF diets appears to be independent of a dietary EFA deficiency.

Amazoniac

DaveFoster said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/92014/ I found the following excerpt from Peat's article entitled "Fats and degeneration."
When meat is grilled at a high temperature, the normally spaced double bonds in PUFA migrate towards each other, becoming more stable, so that linoleic acid is turned into “conjugated linoleic acid.” This analog of the “essential” linoleic acid competes against the linoleic acid in tissues, and protects against cancer, atherosclerosis, inflammation and other effects of the normal PUFA. Presumably, anything which interferes with the essential fatty acids is protective, when the organism contains dangerous amounts of PUFA. Even the trans-isomers of the unsaturated fatty acids (found in butterfat, and convertible into conjugated linoleic acid) can be protective against cancer.
This really stood out to me, as I frequent a lot of raw foodist forums, and Peat gives a plausible explanation for the evolutionary purpose and biological advantage behind cooking meat. Fantastic!
Thank you for posting, you have no idea how long I've been wondering about this..

Last edited by a moderator:

CoolTweetPete

Great news! I've always been a fan of grilling meat but had reservations about doing it as folklore likens it to damaging the proteins. There is however, an issue that I've been having trouble getting over regarding cooking methods. No one has been able to give me any insight on this.

The Wikipedia for 'Advanced Glycation End-Products' says that grilling results in their formation,

Dietary AGEs (dAGEs) can be present in some foods (particularly meat, also butter and some vegetable products), and can form in food during cooking, particularly in dry cooking such as frying, roasting and baking, far less so in boiling, stewing, steaming and microwaving.[2]

I've seen it mentioned on this forum that Ray Peat has said that AGE's are as bad as PUFA. Please, someone justify my pork rinds I've come to love so much! :D

mujuro

I have similar concerns about AGEs. I am just about ready to move to slow-cooking for all my meats. At least you can add a nice marinade, and the protein bioavailability surely must be higher than grilling, given that the heat breaks down the flesh into a flaky mush over many hours.

pboy was talking in chat the other day about the lack of persorption of large starch molecules into the blood if the starch source has been cooked in water. I posited that it must be the hydrophilicity of the polysaccharides that helps stop the persorption. The large starch helices attract the water and holds it, forming an almost-gelatinous goop (pasta, rice, potato - they're all kinda gelatinous in consistency when cooked well).

I just wonder why it also seems to be the case for meat that if you cook it in water, AGEs are drastically diminished.

nikolabeacon

Good Books about this are one from Heston Blumenthal or book by Harold McGee " About Food and Cooking". Heston explains very good how properly meat should be grilled to avoid damage to the juices in it. And many other things from him can be taken and incorporated for our food staples in this community.And QUESTIONS about starch is also interesting regarding temperature and water ratios. If you cook potatoes for A mesh or plain eating they should come to boil very slow in order to break starch properly and avoid gelatin like structures and nasty awfull chunks. Also for rice. For plain eating i cook my rice in Japanese traditional way ( rice should sit in water for 45-60 min in water and washed before Cooking) " gohan plain rice"

nikolabeacon

Good Books about this are one from Heston Blumenthal or book by Harold McGee " About Food and Cooking". Heston explains very good how properly meat should be grilled to avoid damage to the juices in it. And many other things from him can be taken and incorporated for our food staples in this community.And QUESTIONS about starch is also interesting regarding temperature and water ratios. If you cook potatoes for A mesh or plain eating they should come to boil very slow in order to break starch properly and avoid gelatin like structures and nasty awfull chunks. Also for rice. For plain eating i cook my rice in Japanese traditional way ( rice should sit in water for 45-60 min in water and washed before Cooking) " gohan plain rice"
"About Food and Cooking" and Heston' s books are one of the best detailed books that covers everything regarding all you want to know about food and its origins( from tradition to the science behind it) AFC -https://www.google.rs/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://wtf.tw/ref/mcgee.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjb_8yp68bRAhUIKpoKHQsnBc4QFggcMAI&usg=AFQjCNFJd2cFtg2tFykPitQW4DaPwmcQeA&sig2=APcVq2SR0sqbc6-FSL2Y5w. And you will be delighted to see how great and accurate is hronology of contents. In accordance with this community.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals