High HDL Cholesterol

The Ultimate

My LDL is 77mg/dl, but my HDL is 187mg/dl. My Dr says I should lower it by avoiding junk food and exercising, which I found amusing given my diet and lifestyle. Is this geniunely a problem?

tara

If you feel like giving more context: Want to give more info about your diet and lifestyle? Do you still have the very strong heartbeat reported a month ago? Did you try making any changes after first posting, and have you noticed any changes in symptoms?

OP
T

The Ultimate

My diet is within Paleo 'allowed food' boundaries but Ray Peat inspired. Sweet potatoes are my main carbohydrate because I do not feel properly full on just fruit. Most of my protein is from eggs, steak, pork, then liver and prawns. I eat a raw carrot everyday, with radishes, beetroots, leafy salad. Fruit - bananas, oranges, kiwi, blueberries, various... Drink coffee. Chocolate increases myt heartbeat so I avoid it. I lift weights 3 times a week, run once a week, thai boxing once a week, walk lots. I have low bodyfat, and feel healthy/goode energy/good sense of wellbeing. Supplements: Iosol, ecklonia cava, tocomin suprabio, coconut oil, 10mg pregnenolone, 2 drops of progest-e. I've added activated charcoal and getting more vitamin K but it's made no difference.

OP
T

The Ultimate

I got a print out of my results today and it turns out that my total cholesterol is high, with no actual breakdowns. The Dr made a mistake with telling me my LDL and HDL numbers. I am going to write to him, then report him.

haidut

Forum Supporter
The Ultimate said:
I got a print out of my results today and it turns out that my total cholesterol is high, with no actual breakdowns. The Dr made a mistake with telling me my LDL and HDL numbers. I am going to write to him, then report him.

For future reference if you do get high HDL - it is not really a good thing by itself. Ray has said that toxins and stress raise HDL. So, people drinking a lot or running a lot tend to have quite high HDL. I used to have HDL of 88 back in my days of heavy running. if your total cholesterol is 187, you may want to up it so it gets in the range 200-230. According to Peat it's the most protective range against cancer.

dd99

Haidut, what is your view on raised triglycerides? I had a blood test after 9 months of Peating and my triglycerides went up dramatically. My total (236) and LDL fell, but my HDL fell even more. Overall, doctor was moderately concerned.

tara

I don't know what's in some of those supplements, so you may have it covered. But unless you are eating whole foods (ie shells of eggs and prawns, and including collagen/gristle to balance muscle meat), I'd guess your diet may be low in calcium and gelatine. Adequate amounts of both of these can help counter stress.

haidut

Forum Supporter
dd99 said:
Haidut, what is your view on raised triglycerides? I had a blood test after 9 months of Peating and my triglycerides went up dramatically. My total (236) and LDL fell, but my HDL fell even more. Overall, doctor was moderately concerned.

High fructose/sugar diet would be one potential cause of that. I think Ray does not consider the triglycerides to be a danger though. I though he said somewhere triglycerides in the blood is preferable to whatever form the fatty acids released from fat stores use to circulate in the blood. I think it implies poor glycogen storage ability or at least that the liver is not able to handle the extra sugar from diet.
Nothing that a little bit of biotin would not fix:): It is given to people specifically to lower TG levels.

dd99

Thanks, haidut, very helpful! How much biotin? Energin has 1mg per 40 drops and I take 5 to 20 a day, so max 0.5mg.

haidut

Forum Supporter
dd99 said:
Thanks, haidut, very helpful! How much biotin? Energin has 1mg per 40 drops and I take 5 to 20 a day, so max 0.5mg.

That's plenty for lowering TG. There are studies on PubMed showing lower TG and cholesterol with dosage in the range 1mg-2g daily taken for several months.

dd99

Excellent, then I'll keep on with the Energin and get another test in a month or so.

OP
T

The Ultimate

tara said:
I don't know what's in some of those supplements, so you may have it covered. But unless you are eating whole foods (ie shells of eggs and prawns, and including collagen/gristle to balance muscle meat), I'd guess your diet may be low in calcium and gelatine. Adequate amounts of both of these can help counter stress.

I take take gelatin as a supplement and have just started eating prawns. I tried egg shells a couple of times and felt ill

tara

Peat's recommendation more calcium than phosphorus. At least 1200mg calcium, maybe better to have 2000mg.
Personally, I didn't manage to make a fine enough powder of my egg shells to be able to get them down. So I buy oystershell powder and supplement that. I think Peat has said clean eggshells are probably the cleanest source of calcium carbonate, next best option being oyster shell. Neither as good as milk, though, if that agrees with you.
Quite a few people here eat/drink 10-40g gelatine (or hydrolysate) a day. Helps balance the amino acids in meat, especially if you eat them at the same meal.

One time I ate just before the blood drawing and I had triglycerides at 240. That's about the only thing in general that is affected though.

montmorency

[quote="tara"
Personally, I didn't manage to make a fine enough powder of my egg shells to be able to get them down.[/quote]

I solved that problem by buying empty gelatin capsules online, and putting the powder in those.
(It's an additional source of gelatin as well, so very "Peaty").