High glycemic foods do not make you fat in study

So you disagree with Ray Peat saying starches create fat easier than sugar? It is a fact that starchy carbs slows down digestion, and the fats you put on it too. I lost weight, a pound a day, eating plain potatoes. I would not have gotten those quick resulta if i had put butter on them or threw in a steak. If I would havev kept it up, I would be pleading all over this forum for someone to please tell me how to get rid of my intestinal overgrowth.

“STARCH and GLUCOSE efficiently stimulate insulin secretion, and that accelerates the disposition of glucose, activating its conversion to glycogen and fat, as well as its oxidation. Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating ordinary sugar, sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat. Eating “complex carbohydrates,” rather than sugars, is a reasonable way to promote obesity. Eating starch, by increasing insulin and lowering the blood sugar, stimulates the appetite, causing a person to eat more, so the effect on fat" -Ray Peat

Jerkboy

The only thing that made me fatter (lose my abs, etc.) was undereating with high protein and excessive exercising. High cortisol for prolonged period of times got me fat me more fat on the belly and hips. Not necessarily estrogenic look. More like high progesterone/high cortisol look. But you lose the abs and get water retention. Especially when you start to get out of the high cortisol state. Face blows up like a balloon for the first 2/3 weeks.

You can look quite lean in that state but never good abs. At least for me. Body holds on to the fat very well. And then you refeed you get even more bloated.

I can eat a ***t load of carbs incl. starch and lose water weight, get leaner, etc.

Then you have the opposite people with very low metabolism (low cortisol, low adrenaline) they often have fat everywhere. They dont burn ***t.

OP
A

area51puy

Forum Supporter
So you disagree with Ray Peat saying starches create fat easier than sugar? It is a fact that starchy carbs slows down digestion, and the fats you put on it too. I lost weight, a pound a day, eating plain potatoes. I would not have gotten those quick resulta if i had put butter on them or threw in a steak. If I would havev kept it up, I would be pleading all over this forum for someone to please tell me how to get rid of my intestinal overgrowth.

“STARCH and GLUCOSE efficiently stimulate insulin secretion, and that accelerates the disposition of glucose, activating its conversion to glycogen and fat, as well as its oxidation. Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating ordinary sugar, sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat. Eating “complex carbohydrates,” rather than sugars, is a reasonable way to promote obesity. Eating starch, by increasing insulin and lowering the blood sugar, stimulates the appetite, causing a person to eat more, so the effect on fat" -Ray Peat
When I see a study that seems relevant to Ray Peat I just post it here and let the people more informed on the Ray Peat put their two cents in.

but I thought the study it said high glycemic foods don’t make you fat and that agreed with a Peat way of eating.

High GI foods​

Carbohydrate foods that are broken down quickly by your body and cause a rapid increase in blood glucose have a high GI rating. High GI foods include:

• sugar and sugary foods
  • sugary soft drinks
  • white bread
  • potatoes
  • white rice
Yeah so I thought sugar and fruit is best, but rice white bread and potatoes were ok but not necessarily the best option.

but I am newish to peat way of living and eating so mostly sit back and learn from the people on this forum.

When I see a study that seems relevant to Ray Peat I just post it here and let the people more informed on the Ray Peat put their two cents in.

but I thought the study it said high glycemic foods don’t make you fat and that agreed with a Peat way of eating.

High GI foods​

Carbohydrate foods that are broken down quickly by your body and cause a rapid increase in blood glucose have a high GI rating. High GI foods include:

• sugar and sugary foods
  • sugary soft drinks
  • white bread
  • potatoes
  • white rice

High glycemic foods like sugars are different than starches. The pic showed a loaded potato ?

rei

When people have started wearing CGM:s this old dogma is starting to give way to Peat's view and what we intuitively know here. Sugar gives a smaller blood sugar spike than refined starches. And surprisingly brown rice and whole grains often have the strongest spike in blood sugar and probably also insulin, and this is at the root of developing diabetes, along with PUFA (which they contain, along with other antinutrients).

When people have started wearing CGM:s this old dogma is starting to give way to Peat's view and what we intuitively know here. Sugar gives a smaller blood sugar spike than refined starches. And surprisingly brown rice and whole grains often have the strongest spike in blood sugar and probably also insulin, and this is at the root of developing diabetes, along with PUFA (which they contain, along with other antinutrients).

You said it! There is much more damage from grains than just gaining a few pounds!

animalcule

For how long did you do the potato diet? Did you regain the weight when you started to eat normally?

For how long did you do the potato diet? Did you regain the weight when you started to eat normally?

I did a 4 day potato fast in the first week and lost 4 pound, a 3 day fast in the second week and lost 3 pounds and same in the 3rd week. So I would lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks. I did rotation diets to keep my metabolism happy with a big variety. After the potato diet i would do 5 days of low carb, then the next week 5 days of lowfat and I could get weight off fast without ruining my metabolism. I didn't gain it all back fast. I was subscribing overall to the Blood Type Diet. So I had a healthy "lifestyle" in place, when was done. Most people gain their weigh back because they go back to their old bad eating habits, or because they stay on one diet far too long.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals