High doses of melatonin can FULLY stop pufa peroxidation

NewACC

This study says that 1.2mM of melatonin can fully stop peroxidation of long-chain pufa, but only particularly block LOX and COX pufa metabolism. High dose of melatonin with such antiserotonin drug like cypro or just with thyroid is very interesting to experiment with

OP
NewACC

NewACC

This study says that 1.2mM of melatonin can fully stop peroxidation of long-chain pufa, but only particularly block LOX and COX pufa metabolism. High doses of melatonin with drug like cypro or just thyroid are very interesting to experiment with
@haidut @Hans @Lokzo @charlie @ecstatichamster as usual I'm waiting for your comments

OP
NewACC

NewACC

Seems that melatonin with high thyroid, progesterone and dht level may be very protective form iron and pufa excess/harm/combination

Jessie

Very interesting. I've always held the opinion that melatonin was, in general, not as bad as serotonin. I've used it sporadically in the past to keep my circadian rhythm in check. Tart cherry juice being my preferred way of taking it. Considering cherries are potent anti-inflammatories.

The higher dosages in pills are tricky, mostly because many of them are tainted with bad additives. PureBulk's melatonin is the only clean supplement I've been able to find in that.

OP
NewACC

NewACC

Melatonin is a powerful antioxidant. Red light enhances melatonin production in every cell of the body. Melatonin also has potent anti-estrogen effects.
But I find melatonin a bit depressive. You must add some antiserotonin agent with it

Hans

Forum Supporter
But I find melatonin a bit depressive. You must add some antiserotonin agent with it
How much did you take? It can make you drowsy and that could make you slightly depressed.

Yeah same experience. An ex suggested i try it when i was first diagnosed with insomnia about 10 years ago and the only things that really stuck out to me was that it gave me super weak erections with tanked libido and made me feel mentally effeminate. I'm not a very sensitive person, but melatonin made me kind of a whiner, and over nothing most of the time. I was going through a lot of ***t including just "recovering" from a suicide attempt, but it never became a problem emotionally until i started taking melatonin as a sleep aid. I had not clocked initially it was the melatonin, as i just thought i was emotionally distraught, but it wasn't until i subsisted the use of it the next week that i realised that it had caused the majority of those episodes

It feels anything but anti-estrogenic IME

OP
NewACC

NewACC

How much did you take? It can make you drowsy and that could make you slightly depressed.
I took 0.3mg for quite a long time - it helped me with sleep and no side effects or addiction and tolerance, but yesterday I tried 10mg as an experiment and got terrible suicidal apathetic thoughts, I felt indescribably bad - I have certain problems with this on throughout my life, that's why I reacted so strongly to it and I think others would be fine with this dose. And I didn't feel terrible. My morale then for me was the best description and the main synonym for the words - "numbness" and "learned helplessness". I just laid down and renounced the world for the day. But 2mg cipro - served as a true medicine - appetite, mood and efficiency returned and I was able to do ordinary things with extraordinary interest.

LadyRae

There's a lot of disagreement regarding melatonin's safety, and I don't purport to have an answer...but in my own little n=1, it makes me feel bad. At 300mcg dosing, or 1-5 mg dissolved under my tongue- I might get a few hours of weird, light sleep with a slight headfog/ache...

And invariably the next day I'm really spacey, not alert, lazy, and a bit depressed.

I was listening to a MedCram podcast on YouTube last year and he said that sunlight stimulates your cells to make melatonin. So I suspect that it has quite a delayed effect for sleep.

And once again- adequate sun exposure is needed for optimal hormone production.

View: https://youtu.be/5YV_iKnzDRg

Limon9

Reverse-engineering pharmaceutical practices: you need to take melatonin to sleep, and cyproheptadine to treat the side effects of melatonin, and...

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I think we should remember that serotonin is a precursor for melatonin. I am not sure if supplementing high enough melatonin doses will lead to serotonin accumulation or not.

Jessie

I have felt next-day drowsiness from higher dosages (1-3mgs). 100-300mcgs an hour before bed, usually helps me out if I've had several nights of bad sleep. Either way, using it consistently every night is probably not ideal. Just sporadically to reset the circadian rhythm.

I also think cherry juice is better than supplements. It contains a more natural amount of melatonin, and it also comes with a decent amount of sugar which will fill liver glycogen before bed. Which may explain why I get better results with it.

Jessie

Melatonin can suppress dopamine, so using it everyday (especially in milligram amounts) might cause a lethargic depression. On the flip side, this might be useful for people who have too much dopaminergic activity at bedtime. As high dopamine can certainly disrupt sleep.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I think we should remember that serotonin is a precursor for melatonin. I am not sure if supplementing high enough melatonin doses will lead to serotonin accumulation or not.

Effects of single doses and daily melatonin treatments on serotonin metabolism in rat brain regions​

Jessie

I wanted to post this for those who may have had troubleshooting issues with melatonin resetting their circadian rhythm and correcting sleep. Apparently for many people melatonin can have a significantly delayed response time. If you take it at bedtime, that may already be too late. Which could explain light unrestful sleep and the feeling of drowsiness the next day.

According to this study, if you want to move up your sleep time you need to take it about 5 hours before your target time. 5 hours move your DLMO up by about 1.5 hours. So, if you've been going to bed at 11PM and you want to go to bed at 10PM, then taking it as early as 5PM would be advisable. And even if you didn't want to move up your time, taking it about 3.5-4 hours before sleep would be best.

laleto12

Supplemental melatonin is awful
blocks progestrone, increases estrogrn and serotonin.

J.R.K

There's a lot of disagreement regarding melatonin's safety, and I don't purport to have an answer...but in my own little n=1, it makes me feel bad. At 300mcg dosing, or 1-5 mg dissolved under my tongue- I might get a few hours of weird, light sleep with a slight headfog/ache...

And invariably the next day I'm really spacey, not alert, lazy, and a bit depressed.

I was listening to a MedCram podcast on YouTube last year and he said that sunlight stimulates your cells to make melatonin. So I suspect that it has quite a delayed effect for sleep.

And once again- adequate sun exposure is needed for optimal hormone production.

View: https://youtu.be/5YV_iKnzDRg

I like what you said here @LadyRae I personally like red light and incandescent brooder bulbs before bed. Thirty to sixty minutes puts me out like a light in late autumn and winter time.

OP
NewACC

NewACC

Supplemental melatonin is awful
blocks progestrone, increases estrogrn and serotonin.
ABSTRACT
Steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (StAR) mediates the rate-limiting step in ovarian steroidogenesis and progesterone (P4) synthesis. Melatonin and its receptors are expressed in human granulosa cells, and have been shown to influence basal P4 production. However, previous studies addressing the regulation of StAR expression by melatonin and its impact on P4 secretion yielded contradictory results. Here, we demonstrate that melatonin upregulates StAR expression in primary cultures of human granulosa-lutein (hGL) cells obtained from women undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF). Using pharmacological inhibitors, we show that the stimulatory effect of melatonin on StAR expression is mediated via both MT1 and MT2 melatonin receptors. Melatonin exposure activates the PI3K/AKT signaling pathway and its inhibition attenuates the stimulatory effect of melatonin on StAR expression. Moreover, siRNA-mediated knockdown of StAR abolishes melatonin-induced P4 production. Importantly, clinical analyses demonstrate that melatonin levels in human follicular fluid are positively correlated with P4 levels in serum. By illustrating the potential physiological role of melatonin in the regulation of StAR expression and P4 production in hGL cells, our results may serve to improve current strategies used to treat clinical infertility.

Keywords: melatonin, StAR, steroidogenesis, granulosa cells