High-dose Vitamin K2 Supplementation

Lucy

Ray gave me several recommendations lately, for myself and my parents, that included a high-dose vitamin K supplementation. He said vitamin K could help with blood pressure reduction, building bone density, mental clarity, and he also recommended it as an anti-estrogen agent (against cancer and for prolactin reduction). The amounts he mentioned were quite high, 15 mg and 40 mg daily.

Does anyone here have experience with supplementing higher amounts of vitamin K?

kiran

I've done 15mg MK4 x3 daily, before Ray Peat. IIRC it caused a temporary crash as calcium levels dropped instantly, but then in a bit I felt better.

So perhaps you should take some calcium with it?

tomisonbottom

Hi Lucy,

Did you end up doing the High K supplementation then?
If so, how did it effect you?

firelion

How do you know that mk4 depleted your calcium levels, did you have them checked?

I've been taking 15mg of mk4 daily, without any Vitamin D supplementation. Does anyone know if this would have a negative effect?

yoshiesque

Lucy said:
Ray gave me several recommendations lately, for myself and my parents, that included a high-dose vitamin K supplementation. He said vitamin K could help with blood pressure reduction, building bone density, mental clarity, and he also recommended it as an anti-estrogen agent (against cancer and for prolactin reduction). The amounts he mentioned were quite high, 15 mg and 40 mg daily.

Does anyone here have experience with supplementing higher amounts of vitamin K?

Can you please explain to me why he gave these recommendations for you and your family? Was there a current health issue/genetic issue that was at play, in order for him to give this to you?

THanks!

messtafarian

The thing about K2 is that it can cause an imbalance of the salts -- Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, etc. If I were supplementing that high I would probably do a reboot of my diet and watch for signs of imbalance or depletion. Muscle aches and twitches are a sure sign of Mg deficiency, and you get charlie horses and cramps if you are low on potassium. Low calcium will crash your thyroid and possibly bring your blood pressure too high or low.

If you're going to supplement that much just keep an eye on it day to day.

HDD

messtafarian said:
The thing about K2 is that it can cause an imbalance of the salts -- Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, etc. If I were supplementing that high I would probably do a reboot of my diet and watch for signs of imbalance or depletion. Muscle aches and twitches are a sure sign of Mg deficiency, and you get charlie horses and cramps if you are low on potassium. Low calcium will crash your thyroid and possibly bring your blood pressure too high or low.

That's interesting, messtafarian, I always thought my charlie horses were magnesium related.

messtafarian

HDD said:
messtafarian said:

That's interesting, messtafarian, I always thought my charlie horses were magnesium related.

In my experience, as an ex-lowcarb dieter and thyroid problem person, potassium and magnesium deficiencies "feel" different. Mg is a clear muscle tug, twitch, tremor or spasm; potassium feels more arthritic and achy.

Peata

I'm taking 15 mg. day for about a week. I am not certain of the effects yet. I do feel a little ache sometimes in my rib where I fractured it 1.5 year ago. I don't know if K2 is doing something there. I can't think of anything that could be causing me to feel a sensation there -no coughing, straining, etc. I'll keep an eye on it.

Amazoniac

The menaquinone content in milch is mainly menatetrenone, it's clearance is rapid.
Zeus belives that there are active metabolites despite its disapperance.
Babyzords consume them spread throughout the day and the milch isn't skimmed.
Undigested plant material in the colon should supply adults with a steady stream of vit K to cover most if not all needs.
In that sense, there would be no signal for adapting to an ample.. reservoir. Which is what we find in ruminant liver. In other words, a steady supply is needed.
Transdermal absorption is steadier, but I think that with either route it's best to spread the doses.

Some people drink skim milch, don't eat greens, have gut problems and take a single 15mg load of mk4. Diokine, Travisord and Westside probably disapprove the combination. If so, I join the choir.

And yes, I miss Such's posts.

Makrosky

I had really wonderful results with high dose K2 supplementation but after a few days I crashed badly probably due to calcium/potassium deficiency. I had pain in my tendons/ligaments/TMJ.

omnivoracious

I've been taking a supplement that has 25mg of MK4. I didn't intent to take such a high dose, I just like the fact the supplement has K1, MK4 and MK7. It also contains Astaxanthin. No real issues as far as I can tell, I had my cholesterol measured last month and it was 194. The small LDL-P is elevated and it states plainly on the Vit K bottle that the supplement can result in an increase in the diameter and number of LDL so what I will probably do is dial down the dosage and see if that gets the small LDL-P to drop down to the normal range. I did a calcium scan about a year and half ago and got a totally clean bill of health and will probably test it again this month just to make sure everything looks good and if that's the case I'll go down to a lower dose and see how that impacts small LDL-P.

rw39

I've been taking a supplement that has 25mg of MK4. I didn't intent to take such a high dose, I just like the fact the supplement has K1, MK4 and MK7. It also contains Astaxanthin. No real issues as far as I can tell, I had my cholesterol measured last month and it was 194. The small LDL-P is elevated and it states plainly on the Vit K bottle that the supplement can result in an increase in the diameter and number of LDL so what I will probably do is dial down the dosage and see if that gets the small LDL-P to drop down to the normal range. I did a calcium scan about a year and half ago and got a totally clean bill of health and will probably test it again this month just to make sure everything looks good and if that's the case I'll go down to a lower dose and see how that impacts small LDL-P.

What’s the name and brand of this supplement?

Amazoniac

No, you can't really overdose on mk4, but no need to take more than 1-2mg (from what I've read), to be honest. Unless you're treating a condition.
That's also what people who supplement vit C in megadoses claim. Just because they're safe in great amounts, doesn't mean that those won't come with negative effects. I respect you regardless of your current version.

Last edited:

Tom2.0

That's also what people who supplement vit C in megadoses claim. Just because they're safe in great amounts, doesn't mean that those won't come with negative effects. I respect you regardless of your current version.

Well let me reiterate, there are those who take a pharmacological dose of 45 mg/d, which is the dose that has been used to treat osteoporosis. But is anyone really foolish enough to take a megadose of mk4 with the intent to cause harm to one's self? Most mk4 supplements are in the low range of 0.2 - 2mg, even taking 2mg 3 times a day won't cause anything.