High-dose Thiamine May Treat Fatigue From Chron's And IBD

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Any dangers of excess? Quick search shows:

Vitamin B1 Overdose Symptoms

The B vitamins all work together in a complex. Taking too much of a single B vitamin, such as vitamin B1, can cause an imbalance in the other B vitamins. In severe cases, the imbalance may cause deficiencies in the other B vitamins, which can cause a wide variety of symptoms. Deficiencies in several of the other B vitamins, such as B3, B6 and B12, can cause feelings of fatigue and tiredness, along with skin irritations and rashes. Deficiencies in B6 and B12 can lead to anemia, causing very pale skin and muscle weakness. Vitamin B12 deficiencies can also cause neurological symptoms, including numbness or tingling in the hands or feet.

The dosages recommended are essentially 600-1500 x the daily recommended dose. Do you think it could put the other b-vitamins out of whack in dosages this excessive as the site above warns? Marmite is touted to have roughly 1500%, about 23mg, maybe a food source is safer?

The only issue I am aware of from high dose vitamin B1 is increased need for potassium. Also, high doses may drop sugar levels so that is another thing to watch out for. Taking a B complex with the high dose B1 should address the issue with potential deficiencies in other B vitamins caused by B1.

Waynish

To anyone who knows this area of research: did they have a cohort on half the recommended dose or so (300mg) and had it not work at all? Or did it work half as well. I think this would be interesting data.

peep

@haidut

What could be the reason for a problem/defect with the thiamine transport to the cells?
And is there going to be a downregulation of receptors / sensivity so you would need more B1 over time?

In my case Thiamine is really helping, but im concerned about that high dose long-term.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

What could be the reason for a problem/defect with the thiamine transport to the cells?
And is there going to be a downregulation of receptors / sensivity so you would need more B1 over time?

In my case Thiamine is really helping, but im concerned about that high dose long-term.

I think they say in the study that intestinal damage, especially when it has effected the small intestines, really interferes with thiamine absorption. Also thiamine active transport depends on ATP/thyroid, so it is expected that in chronic conditions it will be downregulated.

Wolf

I think they say in the study that intestinal damage, especially when it has effected the small intestines, really interferes with thiamine absorption. Also thiamine active transport depends on ATP/thyroid, so it is expected that in chronic conditions it will be downregulated.
Have you seen any studies showing long term corrections to the transport system after mega dosing thiamin?
This kinda reminds me of the ketotifen vs enzymes study and how in the long run you're likely better off tanking your histamine levels for a bit to help the pancreas regenerate. Every bout of high dose cypro and other metabolic boosters seem to restore my ability to function at a high level without supplements

GorillaHead

High dose niacin put me in remission and i was bleeding everyday for 1.5 years. Mesalamine did nothing. In sept came in to the doc for meds. I was avoiding immunosuppressives on purpose. I asked for sulfa tried it for 3 days and dropped it.

One day while looking for hair supplements i started megadosing niacin. Then i got addicted to the flush. I was doing 3 grams for like 3 days then tapes to like 1 gram then 500mg then 250mg. Now i do 250 mg every 3 days. My digestion has never beeen better in my entire life.

Last edited:
High dose niacin put me in remission and i was bleeding everyday for 1.5 years. Mesalamine did nothing. In sept came in and i was like ***t i cant keep this up even tho it was my only symptom.

One day while looking for hair supplements i started megadosing niacin. Then i got addicted to the flush. I was doing 3 grams for like 3 days then tapes to like 1 gram then 500mg then 250mg. Now i do 250 mg every 3 days. My digestion has never beeen better in my entire life.

Thanks. Very helpful

GorillaHead

Thanks. Very helpful
For sure. Hope no one has to suffer through this disease. My friend had his whole gut removed. I used to always feel bad about it and be sympathetic towards him. 2 years later i some how i got too. Hope i stay in remission till i die lol.

Pointless

High dose niacin put me in remission and i was bleeding everyday for 1.5 years. Mesalamine did nothing. In sept came in to the doc for meds. I was avoiding immunosuppressives on purpose. I asked for sulfa tried it for 3 days and dropped it.

I have Crohns and took high dose niacinamide for a while, but I felt it was negatively impacting my hair. Did the niacin help your hair at the time?

GorillaHead

I have Crohns and took high dose niacinamide for a while, but I felt it was negatively impacting my hair. Did the niacin help your hair at the time?

Niacin didnt do ***t for my hair lol. Did niacinmide help your chrons? If not try niacin, the flush must have some benefits

milk_lover

What did it do to your hair? Niacinamide is really great at reducing stomach serotonin. It's scarily good for digestion in my case.

Pointless

What did it do to your hair? Niacinamide is really great at reducing stomach serotonin. It's scarily good for digestion in my case.

It made it fall out all over, and I found that a lot of people on this forum were struggling with hair loss that were also taking large doses of niacinamide like 2-3 grams.

milk_lover

It made it fall out all over, and I found that a lot of people on this forum were struggling with hair loss that were also taking large doses of niacinamide like 2-3 grams.
Maybe anything more than 500mg a day is high. I take 3 times 100mg with no issues but I make sure I drink a lot of sugar with it or with a meal. How much were you taking?

Pointless

Maybe anything more than 500mg a day is high. I take 3 times 100mg with no issues but I make sure I drink a lot of sugar with it or with a meal. How much were you taking?

1 g twice a day. 500 mg didn't do much in terms of mood.

milk_lover

1 g twice a day. 500 mg didn't do much in terms of mood.
Interesting. So in your case, vitamin E for PUFA protection may be warranted, especially if you also have problems with aspirin. Honestly, I feel vit E is superior to niacinamide and aspirin.

GorillaHead

Because of the niacin? :shock:

While I can say absolutely to your question based on my experience.

I cant say with 100% absolute confidence it is cause of the niacin. But I didnt get better until i started megadosing niacin for a couple of days its the only thing that i did differently. I feel as if the flush it gave me is important cause it releases built up inflammation like pgd2