High Dose Niacinamide Experiment

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have decided to try a niacinamide high dose experiment of 4000 mg a day.

I usually get a dip in metabolism from very low doses of niacinamide. I am not sure why. I wonder if its lowering stress hormones so much that its lowering what I perceive as metabolism. Or if its the actual product quality, or maybe its old because its over a year old and also starting to clump. Its the Beyond A Century brand powder.

Ok, so just took my first dose of 1500 mg. Will take another 1500 mg and then another 1000 mg.

If anyone sees any potential problems with taking such a high dose please chime in.

Today I will be heading to the pharmacy and see if I can get the PharmaAssure brand of niacinamide to see if that is any better. And I also plan to order some powder online, if anyone can suggest a different brand they like please let me know. I will head over to Dan's site and see what he lists.

Right now at this point, before I started this experiment my metabolism has dropped and estrogen has risen due to drinking this weekend, and then a couple nights of staying up late. So I am still trying to recover from that. Its pretty incredible how not going to sleep on time a couple nights in a row really effects my metabolism, and throw in a night of drinking and forget it. It will be interesting to see what the high dose niacinamide does for that.

Peata

Just to clarify, what is your goal/reason for the niacinamide experiment?

Peata

Only thing I can think to caution about is that you may experience a sort of sedative effect from a gram or more at a time (at least that was my experience). I don't know if this effect diminishes over time and repeated doses, as I didn't repeat the high dose after Sunday.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata said:
To mainly watch and see what results happen from this. If it indeed does decrease serotonin and how that would show up in results with me.

Haidut mentioned being sedated from this large of a dose, and also being on the "up and up". :oops:

I already feel somewhat sedated from the 1500 mg dose, but not too much.

I did read that niacinamide decreases cholesterol so I need to be on the watch for too low cholesterol so need to find out what those symptoms are. Between progesterone, thyroid, and now niacinamide I wonder if cholesterol will lower dramatically. My cholesterol has always been extremely high.

J

j.

I thought niacin was the one that lowered cholesterol, not niacinamide.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
I thought niacin was the one that lowered cholesterol, not niacinamide.
Hmmmm...you might be right about that. I will go back and check later.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Haidut, should the dose be split up like I am doing or all at once?

Mittir

@Charlie
Niacinamide lowers free fatty acids. If high dose lowers more FFA, you have to
mostly rely on sugars, regular feeding and liver glycogen storage. This is why
RP recommends drinking a glass of OJ with Niacinamide .
Make sure you load up your liver with glycogen before you go to sleep.
A healthy liver should be able to store glucose for 8-10 hours sleep.
I am having great experience with 100 mg once a day after lunch.
When i tried to add another 100 mg in the evening i have noticed some problem having
early sleep. Sleep quality has improved a lot but could not sleep during my usual hour.
I am guessing something happens within several hours of ingesting Niacinamide
which keeps me awake. I think lowering FFA is the main use of niacinamide.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mittir said:
@Charlie
Niacinamide lowers free fatty acids. If high dose lowers more FFA, you have to
mostly rely on sugars, regular feeding and liver glycogen storage. This is why
RP recommends drinking a glass of OJ with Niacinamide .
Make sure you load up your liver with glycogen before you go to sleep.
A healthy liver should be able to store glucose for 8-10 hours sleep.
I am having great experience with 100 mg once a day after lunch.
When i tried to add another 100 mg in the evening i have noticed some problem having
early sleep. Sleep quality has improved a lot but could not sleep during my usual hour.
I am guessing something happens within several hours of ingesting Niacinamide
which keeps me awake. I think lowering FFA is the main use of niacinamide.
Mittir, thanks for chiming in.

I think I am already noticing my liver calling for more sugar.

J

j.

Charlie said:

I think honey and OJ and fructose work better for that purpose than table sugar.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
Charlie said:

I think honey and OJ and fructose work better for that purpose than table sugar.
I have yet to find a honey that I do not react to. :(

Peata

Charlie said:
Peata said:
To mainly watch and see what results happen from this. If it indeed does decrease serotonin and how that would show up in results with me.

Haidut mentioned being sedated from this large of a dose, and also being on the "up and up". :oops:

I already feel somewhat sedated from the 1500 mg dose, but not too much.

I did read that niacinamide decreases cholesterol so I need to be on the watch for too low cholesterol so need to find out what those symptoms are. Between progesterone, thyroid, and now niacinamide I wonder if cholesterol will lower dramatically. My cholesterol has always been extremely high.

Is it still really high since going on thyroid? I read somewhere that low thyroid function causes high cholesterol since your body is trying to use this cholesterol to produce hormones it needs. T3 is supposed to help.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata said:
Is it still really high since going on thyroid?
Yes. I am still extremely hypothyroid although improving.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Interesting. I am dumping more urine then normal and its more clear then normal, also very bubbly. Seems an adrenaline response is happening. I feel calm but some underlying anxiety going on.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Due to my schedule today I went ahead and took my second dose of 1500 mgs. Felt some nausea afterwards indicating elevated liver enzymes. That passed pretty quick though.

Peata

Charlie said:
Due to my schedule today I went ahead and took my second dose of 1500 mgs. Felt some nausea afterwards indicating elevated liver enzymes. That passed pretty quick though.

So nausea after a high dose of niacinamide indicates liver issues? I can see that, since that's what happened to me years back when I tried a high dose for anxiety. This was way before Peat, during time of lots of chronic stress and just about everything wrong in diet and lifestyle that could be.

Sunday when I took the high dose, I had no nausea. But I have been feeling for the last month or two that my liver is doing much better.

Mittir

I have been listening to Josh Rubin's interview with RP on Cholesterol .
He mentioned one interesting study that showed people with
cholesterol lower than 180 had higher rate of violent crimes.
He also mentioned that no one knows for sure what is the maximum
level of cholesterol, but 500 is too high and 160 should be very minimum.
Older people with 270 had higher longevity.
if you do not mind sharing ,just curious how high your cholesterol is .

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata, yes that is what I just read in an article written by a doctor that was talking about Dr. Hoffers work. If I run across it again I will post it.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mittir, my last test results are below. Which is slightly lower then the test before that:

CHOL: 290
HDLD: 35.8
LDL: 218.2
HDL: 8.10
TRIG 117

edit: my total before that was 335 so it has come down some.