High Dose Niacinamide Experiment

FredSonoma

Peata said:
Peata said:
post 37291 I took 1500 mg all at once in an extended release pill for a while now, but never had any particular sensation from it. Recently I started cutting the pill in half. And just a few days ago I received a new bottle of 500 mg. capsules and I've been taking one or two per day.

I posted this in my log, but I think the niacinamide helped remove a discoloration on my abdomen - a "stain" that a derm called a keratosis.

I also started an experiment with topical niacinamide yesterday. I opened enough capsules to make 1/2 teaspoon and poured that into 2 oz. of rosewater/glycerin toner. Shake well each use. Applied after cleansing and drying face. Slight stinging, mostly on areas with acne. I know I said in another post I don't tend to get much result with products unless my internal issues are taken care of, but I'm looking to see if this does anything noticeable.
Peata said:
post 37291 I took 1500 mg all at once in an extended release pill for a while now, but never had any particular sensation from it. Recently I started cutting the pill in half. And just a few days ago I received a new bottle of 500 mg. capsules and I've been taking one or two per day.

I posted this in my log, but I think the niacinamide helped remove a discoloration on my abdomen - a "stain" that a derm called a keratosis.

I also started an experiment with topical niacinamide yesterday. I opened enough capsules to make 1/2 teaspoon and poured that into 2 oz. of rosewater/glycerin toner. Shake well each use. Applied after cleansing and drying face. Slight stinging, mostly on areas with acne. I know I said in another post I don't tend to get much result with products unless my internal issues are taken care of, but I'm looking to see if this does anything noticeable.

Would this work just dissolved into water? What about alcohol? I just dissolved some in water and mixed with olive oil and rubbed all over my body and I think I feel something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peata

FredSonoma said:
post 102501
Peata said:
Peata said:

Peata said:

Would this work just dissolved into water? What about alcohol? I just dissolved some in water and mixed with olive oil and rubbed all over my body and I think I feel something.

I don't know. I have been using Haidut's solban instead of making my own.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
FredSonoma said:
post 102501 Would this work just dissolved into water? What about alcohol? I just dissolved some in water and mixed with olive oil and rubbed all over my body and I think I feel something.
I am using potato vodka to dissolve mine. What I am doing is, this morning I put 1000mgs of niacinamide powder into a glass dropper bottle, then I put in enough vodka to dissolve the powder. That will be my days supply so I will just split it up.

You can use pure ethanol if you want.

Last edited:

tara

I think Haidut's brew is 20% ethanol to dissolve, rest water.
I don't think olive oil will help, since it's more soluble in water than oil.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:

tara

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:

Peata

I finally found my bottles of niacinamide and think I will experiment with it again (internally).

Peata

honeybee said:
post 53073 I tried niacinamide for 3 weeks-I ramped up my dose from 100 mgx3 to 500mgx3 or 4. I experienced overwhelming fatigue at 500 mg per dose. I also experienced ALOT of hair shed in my brush and while showering. I dropped the dose down to 100 mg 2-3 /xs a day and the hair loss stopped to normal. (I have never had hair loss issues.) The good news is that at 100 mg dose, I sleep much better at night. I was experieincing severe insomnia since march of this yeasr. I actually drop off to sleep (major problem with me) easily and stay asleep. No unusual fatigue in the morning. No depresssion issues. I also experience clarity of thought with the 100 mg does-I can actually sit and read through a Ray Peat newsletter and comprehend most of it. It has helped me with anxiety and racing thoughts-mainly related to sleep. (I was using cynomel at night and I was sleeping well but that effect wore off after a week or so. ) I think I will stay at the 100mg dose indefinitely. Thumbs up to a supplement that is actually helpful. :D
EDIT-I have used it for about a year in homemade facial cream. Nothing dramatic with this use.

I'm going to use smaller doses of niacinamide this time around too. Are you still taking it and is it having the same positive effects? Also do you take other supplements?

honeybee

Peata said:
post 103575
honeybee said:
post 53073 I tried niacinamide for 3 weeks-I ramped up my dose from 100 mgx3 to 500mgx3 or 4. I experienced overwhelming fatigue at 500 mg per dose. I also experienced ALOT of hair shed in my brush and while showering. I dropped the dose down to 100 mg 2-3 /xs a day and the hair loss stopped to normal. (I have never had hair loss issues.) The good news is that at 100 mg dose, I sleep much better at night. I was experieincing severe insomnia since march of this yeasr. I actually drop off to sleep (major problem with me) easily and stay asleep. No unusual fatigue in the morning. No depresssion issues. I also experience clarity of thought with the 100 mg does-I can actually sit and read through a Ray Peat newsletter and comprehend most of it. It has helped me with anxiety and racing thoughts-mainly related to sleep. (I was using cynomel at night and I was sleeping well but that effect wore off after a week or so. ) I think I will stay at the 100mg dose indefinitely. Thumbs up to a supplement that is actually helpful. :D
EDIT-I have used it for about a year in homemade facial cream. Nothing dramatic with this use.

I'm going to use smaller doses of niacinamide this time around too. Are you still taking it and is it having the same positive effects? Also do you take other supplements?

I stopped using it because I shifted focus to weight loss since I seem to have resolved most health issues except that. Niacinamide supposedly stops/hinders weight loss. But I'm shifting away from weight loss focus now since winter is coming and I don't want to lose ground so to speak.
I have energin that has niacinamide in it so I think I'm going to try that for awhile.

Pet Peeve

I took 1000 mg niacinamide yesterday I have felt bad now for over 24 hours. Intense anger, I'm almost shaking, dizzy, nauseous, and generally just out of it. It's like the sugar crash from hell. I took it with plenty of coke and I have been consuming sugar like a madman for well over half a year. Somehow there's a feeling of being cleansed under all the bad symptoms, but I don't know if it's just that the niacinamide is leaving the body. Any idea why I would have such a bad reaction to 1000 mg when others consume 4000 mg and get sleepy?

InChristAlone

Could be you are getting cleansed high doses are used to kill Candida infections apparently.

Pet Peeve

Could be you are getting cleansed high doses are used to kill Candida infections apparently.

Hmmm, that could be it. I'm also on antibiotics, hope the reaction was not the niacinamide killing the anti-biotics... I took saccharomyces and grape seed extract at the same time a couple of years ago, that was almost unbearable.

HDD

Your symptoms appear to be blood sugar related but that doesn't make sense because I thought niacinamide raises blood sugar. I have read minocycline lowers blood sugar and would assume other antibiotics could as well. Maybe the high dose niacinamide raised your blood sugar too high and then the subsequent drop is causing more severe symptoms. I'm just guessing here. Have you tried a lower dose of niacinamide with a meal? I apologize if you've already posted that, I haven't read the entire thread.

Pointless

I get those same symptoms from niacinamide. Only B3 I get now is from Energin 7-10 drops once or twice a day. 1000 mg is a hefty dose. Ray Peat has always recommended "moderate" doses of niacinamide.

Koveras

Your symptoms appear to be blood sugar related but that doesn't make sense because I thought niacinamide raises blood sugar. I have read minocycline lowers blood sugar and would assume other antibiotics could as well. Maybe the high dose niacinamide raised your blood sugar too high and then the subsequent drop is causing more severe symptoms. I'm just guessing here. Have you tried a lower dose of niacinamide with a meal? I apologize if you've already posted that, I haven't read the entire thread.

Where did you get the idea that niacinamide raises blood sugar?

Pointless

Niacinamide can recycle adrenochrome back into adrenaline. The symptoms you describe are adrenaline, I believe. I'm not 100% sure if that's the reason you're feeling this way, but that's the answer that satisfied me.

HDD

Where did you get the idea that niacinamide raises blood sugar?

I googled low blood sugar and niacinamide and found the opposite but I just tried to find what I read and I can't locate it. I apologize /retract if this isn't accurate. I'll continue to look for my source.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals