High Dose Iodine (grams)

Infarouge

What are Ray and the community's opinions on the massive iodine doses that were routinely used in medicine until the 1940s?

Potassium iodine was initially invented to treat syphilis. Here is a paper documenting 12 grams daily orally for 3 weeks to treat syphilis. There are many other papers showing similar large doses. That is 252 grams in 3 weeks. Brownstein and many other doctors have reported great success with little danger of hashimotos or thyroid complications.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Treat as drug. Short periods under supervision. Long term small doses, below 500mcg, are fine to support thyroid, reproductive organs / glands and brain.

wintagal

Agree with drk - treat as drug, short periods under supervision. Be careful. I use KI in milligram (not microgram) doses for bladder infections and intestinal flu. It might work against candida. A friend had good results with lowering his prostate antigens after a very bad biopsy result. But I know people who react very badly and get toxic levels of thyroid from it.

OP
Infarouge

Infarouge

I am treating it as a drug... my questions regards dose grams to tens of grams as documented in the literature. 500mcg or even 50mg doesn't have the curative effects that were studied and reported, especially for spirochete infections (lyme, syphilis) both pandemic with lyme increasingly common now. This is a 20,000x higher dose than your recommendation that has been studied and reported as safely used for periods of months, for over a century.

tankasnowgod

What are Ray and the community's opinions on the massive iodine doses that were routinely used in medicine until the 1940s?

Potassium iodine was initially invented to treat syphilis. Here is a paper documenting 12 grams daily orally for 3 weeks to treat syphilis. There are many other papers showing similar large doses. That is 252 grams in 3 weeks. Brownstein and many other doctors have reported great success with little danger of hashimotos or thyroid complications.

Peat is against taking large amounts of iodine (in any form) regularly, but has said it can be useful in some conditions to take higher doses for a short period of time.

There are many on this forum who are very positive of the effects of milligram sized doses (1-50, and even higher) daily.

Personally, I do use higher milligram sized doses, but not everyday. Mostly, I use KI (iodide instead of iodine). I find KI much gentler overall, and if you look at the historical uses of very high doses (100mg into the gram sized doses), it was always in the form of Iodide, KI, and not Iodine. Travis has stated that any iodine taken internally will likely be reduced to iodide pretty quickly.

I do have some Lugol's solution, and do use that topically any time I get some sort of cut, and also use it on scars.

DrJ

Most of the stuff I've been reading on 'high' dose iodine I've found pretty interesting. It seems to be widely misunderstood and/or misrepresented. I'm not sure Peat is right on it and the emperical evidence seems to contradict him. I think the most interesting part is iodine 's ability to displace the other halogens like bromide and fluoride. Fluoride seems to lower IQ and is widely put in the US water supply. Bromide might also cause problems and is widely put in bread flour in the US. The Japanese consume about 100x more iodine than the US recommended value and generally seem to get on-average better health outcomes. They are also one of the highest IQ societies in the world. Iodine consumption seems to be negatively correlated to breast cancer. I've been experimenting with a daily dose of 50mg spread out and see no ill effects, and generally feeling more energetic. I'm curious to experiment with gram level doses. Interested to hear others' experiences.

Whichway?

Most of the stuff I've been reading on 'high' dose iodine I've found pretty interesting. It seems to be widely misunderstood and/or misrepresented. I'm not sure Peat is right on it and the emperical evidence seems to contradict him. I think the most interesting part is iodine 's ability to displace the other halogens like bromide and fluoride. Fluoride seems to lower IQ and is widely put in the US water supply. Bromide might also cause problems and is widely put in bread flour in the US. The Japanese consume about 100x more iodine than the US recommended value and generally seem to get on-average better health outcomes. They are also one of the highest IQ societies in the world. Iodine consumption seems to be negatively correlated to breast cancer. I've been experimenting with a daily dose of 50mg spread out and see no ill effects, and generally feeling more energetic. I'm curious to experiment with gram level doses. Interested to hear others' experiences.

Are either of you taking any supporting supplements with the high doses of iodine? I believe extra selenium and about 3 grams of vitamin C are recommended as well as salt if you start getting bromine detox symptoms.

I highly doubt anyone was doing this when using iodine up to and including the 1940s and many seem to have been fine. Also Albert Szent-Gyorgyi doesn’t that his patients had any bad reactions to high doses.

Potassium iodide is safe in doses of a gram or two a day for a few days. I am not sure Dr. Peat thinks so.

Whichway?

Potassium iodide is safe in doses of a gram or two a day for a few days. I am not sure Dr. Peat thinks so.

What about the 12.5 - 50 mg doses that Brownstein and others recommend for thyroid and bromine detox? Do you think their protocols where people take these doses for several months are OK?

What about the 12.5 - 50 mg doses that Brownstein and others recommend for thyroid and bromine detox? Do you think their protocols where people take these doses for several months are OK?

I’ve done that dose for many months and was fine. I have also done very large gram size pure iodine, not lugols, and was also fine. Iodine is so safe and cheap and useful that it is slandered by you know who. All cheap and extremely effective unpantentable things usually get the same treatment. E.g. boron, or hydrogen peroxide or ozone or turpentine or salt or aspirin even.

Just make sure you take it with selenium!

Spondive

I’ve done that dose for many months and was fine. I have also done very large gram size pure iodine, not lugols, and was also fine. Iodine is so safe and cheap and useful that it is slandered by you know who. All cheap and extremely effective unpantentable things usually get the same treatment. E.g. boron, or hydrogen peroxide or ozone or turpentine or salt or aspirin even.

Just make sure you take it with selenium!

I agree only good things happen with potassium iodide for me.. how did you take pure iodine and how much?

I agree only good things happen with potassium iodide for me.. how did you take pure iodine and how much?

I have taken up to one gram. Either dissolved in dmso and then put in water, or as an iodized oil.

Oh yes I remember now you talking about that on another post.. was it iodine crystals dissolved in oil?

Yes, pure iodine which saturates oil if you heat the oil to the right temperature. Since then I have moved to taking the pure iodine in dmso as a carrier, I like this the most.

Spondive

Yes, pure iodine which saturates oil if you heat the oil to the right temperature. Since then I have moved to taking the pure iodine in dmso as a carrier, I like this the most.

What’s your recipe for iodine in dmso carrier? Sorry for asking again if it’s on another thread and thanks for your replies

DrJ

Are either of you taking any supporting supplements with the high doses of iodine? I believe extra selenium and about 3 grams of vitamin C are recommended as well as salt if you start getting bromine detox symptoms.
Yes, I have upped my does of Vitamin C to about 3g/day. I have started taking a small amount of selenium where before I was taking none. I'm not sure if it's enough, though. In my reading, I didn't see that much about how much selenium to take, only that you need to.

I have studied the references that Dr. Peat has provided and I do not think it is safe taking these dosages for very long and I stopped. I think he is right and this is a fad. More than 600mcg or so tends to be bad for thyroid.

I may have gotten more hypothyroid than I am when I was doing the high Lugols thing. I was taking 12 to 15mg per day. I think that is far, far too high.

Not sure why potassium iodide for short periods seems safe, but it does.

What’s your recipe for iodine in dmso carrier? Sorry for asking again if it’s on another thread and thanks for your replies

Take pure dmso, add some elemental iodine, the solution forms within seconds, then add to a glass of water. E.g. 300mg iodine, 1 tsp dmso. By weight, it is 1 part dmso to 1 part iodine. This is a ratio that fully dissolves, going higher on the iodine would likely leave some solids. Always take with a large amount of water as it is very strong, e.g. mixed in to 8 ounces of water, it is so strong it can burn through skin easily without added water. IMO, this is superior to lugols, you can make a life time supply of iodine dmso tincture this way with $30 of ingredients and no special tools,,, where as making lugol's at home is much more involved. I also respond better to the iodine dmso tincture then I do to lugol's. Topical or internal application requires you to dilute with several ounces of water. I made the mistake of putting just a drop of the undiluted stuff on a section of skin and days later it was all scabbed over... it is healing fine thankfully. I will be diluting from now on.

Last edited:

Spondive

Take pure dmso, add some elemental iodine, the solution forms within seconds, then add to a glass of water. E.g. 300mg iodine, 1 tsp dmso. By weight, it is 1 part dmso to 1 part iodine. This is a ratio that fully dissolves, going higher on the iodine would likely leave some solids. Always take with a large amount of water as it is very strong, e.g. mixed in to 8 ounces of water, it is so strong it can burn through skin easily without added water. IMO, this is superior to lugols, you can make a life time supply of iodine dmso tincture this way with $30 of ingredients and no special tools,,, where as making lugol's at home is much more involved. I also respond better to the iodine dmso tincture then I do to lugol's. Topical or internal application requires you to dilute with several ounces of water. I made the mistake of putting just a drop of the undiluted stuff on a section of skin and days later it was all scabbed over... it is healing fine thankfully. I will be diluting from now on.
Awesome thanks!

Whichway?

I have studied the references that Dr. Peat has provided and I do not think it is safe taking these dosages for very long and I stopped. I think he is right and this is a fad. More than 600mcg or so tends to be bad for thyroid.

I may have gotten more hypothyroid than I am when I was doing the high Lugols thing. I was taking 12 to 15mg per day. I think that is far, far too high.

Not sure why potassium iodide for short periods seems safe, but it does.

So you would take it for a few days if you were sick?

What about if you think you have build up of fluorine or mercury and you want to use it to help mobilise those? Could you pulse dose for a few days and then take a break for say 10 days and do it again?