High dose aspirin for costochondritis?

inthedark

Interesting …

I took 1.5grams at once last night with 5mg of k2 after reading what you said and felt … good. I almost felt like my body was becoming energized while I was lying in bed. A rather strange feeling, but a good one.

Good to know it stays in the system for a while. Will probably take another 1g tonight. Will see. High dose aspirin for the win. Won’t take it long term but just to get rid of this costocondritis nightmare . Cheers
I didn’t *notice* the back pain difference until probably a few days so I’m not sure if it was effective immediately. I was originally taking the high dose aspirin because I felt like I was getting ill. Hope it works well for you!

inthedark

This is super interesting, thanks for sharing guys. Do you feel it might be unsafe without the vitamin K?
I don’t notice any side effects like easy brushing or bleeding gums from taking a lot of aspirin anymore, even without K, but I still take the K when I remember just in case. I’ve also been supplanting K in lower doses off and on for years now so maybe I’ve got a good amount built up. According to info I’ve seen here taking K is always a good precaution with aspirin, but it seems like it might depend on individual physiology as to how much of each works.

OP
E

eat my peat

Taken 2.5grams of aspirin the past 2 days with 5mg of k2 on both occasions.

Feel extremely relaxed. also feel like it is healing the costochondritis. Also feel like it’s improving my flaky skin.

Probably going to do 2.5grams for another 1-2 days.

aspirin is a beast.

doing vaccuums (10 reps each holding stomach in for (5-10 seconds) in the morning on an empty stomach) helped me a lot with my costocondritis. Also strengthening my lower back, rear delts, and middle traps. Costo to me seems to be a misalignment/ muscular imbalance issue
stomach-vacuum-exercises.jpg

Last edited:
OP
E

eat my peat

doing vaccuums (10 reps each holding stomach in for (5-10 seconds) in the morning on an empty stomach) helped me a lot with my costocondritis. Also strengthening my lower back, rear delts, and middle traps. Costo to me seems to be a misalignment/ muscular imbalance issue
View attachment 38192
Thanks for sharing - do you do it standing up or sitting down? Also, any particular stomach vacuum tutorials you recommend watching?

Thanks for sharing - do you do it standing up or sitting down? Also, any particular stomach vacuum tutorials you recommend watching?
Personally I have do it standing up, either with my hands on my hips, or sometime i do it holding onto a pull up bar (with my feet touching the ground) just to stretch out my back while i do it. Just doing a few reps of holding it for as long as you can on an empty stomach and you will feel your ribs and muscles being re-aligned in real time and your abs will be sore the next day. i dont know why they arent recommended for costo by professionals youre basically sucking in youre transverse abdominis so hard that it can change the shape of your ribs if they are misaligned, akin to mewing for the face.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/dntFGn4A5d4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhSsBlW8rVg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ZIZf_Y6ug

Ringleader

Forum Supporter
Have been dealing with costo for about a year now after having dealt with severe tendonitis on my upper right side for almost 10. I had learned to suffer through the tendonitis, but this costo on top is killing me.

I will be trying the mega-dose aspirin tonight and will report back on how it did.

Overton

Have been dealing with costo for about a year now after having dealt with severe tendonitis on my upper right side for almost 10. I had learned to suffer through the tendonitis, but this costo on top is killing me.

I will be trying the mega-dose aspirin tonight and will report back on how it did.
Following! Ive had mild costo for years on a similar way as OP, weighted dips in the gym. Hasnt been painful but get a joint popping in my sternum periodically.

Have the Backpod but never got consistent enough with it. Good info here on aspirin also the glucosamine msm recommendation sounds good.

@eatmypeat - any luck after these years?

Overton

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the soft tissue and cartilage that surrounds and connects the rib cage.

I have lots of experience with this and other soft tissue related injuries. Some, as in your case can last for months to years. (Had tennis elbow for about 6 months, thought I would never heal.)

This type of inflammation is so persistent it almost acts and feels like an infection. Typically follows some type of injury or strain that gets worse and worse.

Every single time I have had these issues I use Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM. For myself these issues typically clear up in a matter of days to about a week thereafter. Every single time.

For the Glucosamine and Chondroitin I really don't know what to recommend. I end up with a different supplement each time I use it.

But for MSM, Doctor's Best with OptiMSM.

This has always worked for me and I used to look it up, but never found any info on it until recently.

Seems that there is some info out there now that it is a very effective treatment for costochondritis. And that reflects my experience using those supplements to heal soft tissue injuries and inflammation.
Thank you sir 🫡 will be trying this

Ringleader

Forum Supporter
Following! Ive had mild costo for years on a similar way as OP, weighted dips in the gym. Hasnt been painful but get a joint popping in my sternum periodically.

Have the Backpod but never got consistent enough with it. Good info here on aspirin also the glucosamine msm recommendation sounds good.

@eatmypeat - any luck after these years?
So last night I took about 1 gram of aspirin after my costo and tendonitis had been pretty flared up all day. My initial report is that I may notice a bit of improvement today, but nothing miraculous. I also didn't take any K with it, so I plan to take at least another 1 gram aspirin tonight along with some K.

I also got the backpod several months ago, but likewise have had trouble being consistent with it. Then I began being paranoid it was just making it worse and I stopped. Specifically, I began to worry that my spine was becoming too straight in the midback when it needs to have a slight posterior curve. I have been seeing a chiropractor for the past few months but have seen little if any overall improvement. I will ask them on my next visit if to specify for me whether my midback is pushed in.

I probably should give the backpod another go regardless.

Ringleader

Forum Supporter
View attachment 38192

Also this is great advice that I think has been helping me some. I'll add something that I saw off of youtube where you make sure to inhale deep into your lungs, not your stomach, so that your chest fills and rises. BUT you do not allow your shoulders to rise with it, only the chest as much as it will go while keeping the shoulder in neutral position. THEN you exhale slowly but keep your side abs flexed so that your chest doesn't fall. You will feel a very good deep stretch right where the costo issue is in the sternum. I need to be more consistent with this also, because it really does have an immediate feedback that seems to help.

Peater

What supplements do you take?

Costochondritis is mentioned specifically as a B6 toxicity symptom. Not saying it's definitely that, Your description makes you sound athletic so I wondered if you took ZMA. I am leaning towards having (Self-diagnosed) B6 overload, if not outright toxicity myself.

Just a thought. I wouldn't over think it if you don't take supps.

Ringleader

Forum Supporter
@Peater B6 Toxicity is an interesting lead. I checked out that site and saw how they mentioned that people have gotten it from the emergenC packets and Liquid IV packets. When I think back to when this costo issue very first started for me, around Dec '22, I was in a period of bad sickness where I had a terrible painful cough. It hit me again around March '23 I think too. Each time I was using EmergenC and Liquid IV to try and hydrate and get well.

But it seems like I could have possibly been building a toxic B6 load that whole time... I may try the protocol on that site and see if it provides any relief.
Are you currently trying that protocol?

Peater

@Peater B6 Toxicity is an interesting lead. I checked out that site and saw how they mentioned that people have gotten it from the emergenC packets and Liquid IV packets. When I think back to when this costo issue very first started for me, around Dec '22, I was in a period of bad sickness where I had a terrible painful cough. It hit me again around March '23 I think too. Each time I was using EmergenC and Liquid IV to try and hydrate and get well.

But it seems like I could have possibly been building a toxic B6 load that whole time... I may try the protocol on that site and see if it provides any relief.
Are you currently trying that protocol?

Well I am pleased I have at least given you another option to think about!

My problem has been long-term itching all over body itching (And I mean all over. Eye lids. Nose. Back. Completely random). I mention it only in case it is something you recognise too.

I'm not following it exactly as Dioralyte contains sweeteners so I'm basically just trying to minimise B6 from food, of course no supplemental either. I can't afford a huge amount of coconut water either. I don't think I have it as bad as some of the poor people on that site.

Ringleader

Forum Supporter
Well I am pleased I have at least given you another option to think about!

My problem has been long-term itching all over body itching (And I mean all over. Eye lids. Nose. Back. Completely random). I mention it only in case it is something you recognise too.

I'm not following it exactly as Dioralyte contains sweeteners so I'm basically just trying to minimise B6 from food, of course no supplemental either. I can't afford a huge amount of coconut water either. I don't think I have it as bad as some of the poor people on that site.
Gotcha, that is interesting. I can't say that I really have much of an itching issue, so unfortunately I can't offer any knowledge on that.

One thing that makes me wonder is that I have also read that B6 is involved in ADHD issues which I do have symptoms of. And I have been using stimulant ADHD medication on and off for over a year now. Incidentally, I began taking it about 2 months before the costo issue started to develop. But at the beginning it was just a tightness that would come on randomly and if I was able to pop my sternum, it would alleviate. However after about 3 months of that, it just became a 24/7 inflammation that flares up and down. I am positive that all of this is probably connected. But the times I have refrained from taking the stimulant meds for up to a month at a time, my costo symptoms didn't really improve.

But I suppose that could just be because I haven't gotten back to a healthy baseline otherwise.

Peater

Gotcha, that is interesting. I can't say that I really have much of an itching issue, so unfortunately I can't offer any knowledge on that.

One thing that makes me wonder is that I have also read that B6 is involved in ADHD issues which I do have symptoms of. And I have been using stimulant ADHD medication on and off for over a year now. Incidentally, I began taking it about 2 months before the costo issue started to develop. But at the beginning it was just a tightness that would come on randomly and if I was able to pop my sternum, it would alleviate. However after about 3 months of that, it just became a 24/7 inflammation that flares up and down. I am positive that all of this is probably connected. But the times I have refrained from taking the stimulant meds for up to a month at a time, my costo symptoms didn't really improve.

But I suppose that could just be because I haven't gotten back to a healthy baseline otherwise.
Do you drink Red Bull? (I did). That's got quite a high amount too.

I suppose all you can do is just try a simple low intake of B6 for a while and how you get on.

Ringleader

Forum Supporter
Do you drink Red Bull? (I did). That's got quite a high amount too.

I suppose all you can do is just try a simple low intake of B6 for a while and how you get on.
I would drink some occasionally, but I can't say that I noticed any immediate negatives when I did. I got the MSM, so I'm going to try a round of that while eating as clean as I can and see how that does for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals