High dose anti-oxidants can cause premature cellular senescence

Hans

Forum Supporter

"In our previous study, we found that high doses of several substances with antioxidant capacities (Tempol, resveratrol, diphenyleneiodonium) can cause genotoxic stress and induce premature senescence in the human mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). Here, using whole-transcriptome analysis, we revealed the signs of endoplasmic reticulum stress and unfolded protein response (UPR) in MSCs stressed with Tempol and resveratrol. In addition, we found the upregulation of genes, coding the UPR downstream target APC/C, and E3 ubiquitin ligase that regulate the stability of cell cycle proteins. We performed the molecular analysis, which further confirmed the untimely degradation of APC/C targets (cyclin A, geminin, and Emi1) in MSCs treated with antioxidants. Human fibroblasts responded to antioxidant applications similarly. We conclude that endoplasmic reticulum stress and impaired DNA synthesis regulation can be considered as potential triggers of cell damage and premature senescence stimulated by high-dose antioxidant treatments."

And a simple way to prevent early senescence is discussed in this thread.

Perry Staltic

Seems like painting with a broad brush to implicate all antioxidants, when only 3 were tested (two of which I've never heard of).

Vileplume

Seems like painting with a broad brush to implicate all antioxidants, when only 3 were tested (two of which I've never heard of).
I agree, not all antioxidants behave the same. Still, even though free radicals do damage in excess and most people have problems with too many, they still have a role in the body signaling inflammation and other processes. Free radicals even occur naturally in oxidative metabolism, just in a small enough amount that our antioxidant systems can clean them up easily. A total (or overdone) eradication of free radicals would cause problems.

The OP study also underpins the importance of getting antioxidants from natural food sources, like coffee or OJ, where a variety of antioxidants work synergistically to achieve a more balanced effect than the antioxidants supplemented individually. Continuing with coffee as an example, caffeine's antioxidant functions work harmoniously with chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, and probably many other compounds we haven't fully hammered out yet:

The total phenolic content and the chemical antioxidant activity were significantly higher in RD (decaf) than RR (regular coffee). However, these coffees had comparable cellular antioxidant activity. Both coffees reduced activation of NF-κB, with RR being twice as strong as RD. They also both increased glucose uptake in human adipocytes by 2-fold. Of the bioactivities examined, only chemical antioxidant activity was related to total phenolic levels. The NF-κB inhibition was proportional to chlorogenic acid levels, though chlorogenic acids could not account for the full inhibitory effect of coffee. Thus, a matrix effect may exist, whereby components of coffee work together to provide bioactivities that ameliorate the T2D risk.

Jon2547

Its an hypothesis that continues to hang around. I currently am only taking astaxanthin as I am wary of the situation. I have often wondered if taking vitamin C and vitamin E will cause blood sugar issues. Somehow long ago, I got the impression that proper amounts of reactive oxygen species were needed for insulin sensitivity. Maybe I am wrong.

I may even quit the Astaxanthin.

If antioxidants are harmful, maybe this ties in with how processed food is harmful. Think of the preservatives in processed food acting as antioxidants.

Back
Top Bottom