High DHEA but low testosterone?

What could it mean that my DHEA was in the higher part of the lab range, with my testosterone in the lower portion? At the time of the test, I was taking 5 mg of DHEA a day, and my testosterone was still low. Is something blocking the conversion?

shine

DHEA does not necessarily increase blood levels of testosterone. It gets taken up by tissues and undergoes conversion into DHT.
Your DHT metabolites increase, but not your blood testosterone. At least not in the safe, lower doses.

OP
windinthepines
There was a reference on this forum that said that increasing DHEA will increase all hormones. Wouldn't testosterone increase as well?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Most human research shows that DHEA is very ineffective at increasing testosterone, but it could do so slightly at higher doses. It converts mostly to 5-alpha reduced steroids.
If your DHEA was high and testosterone low without supplementation, then that would mean you have reduced testicular function and elevated adrenal function. Calming the adrenals can help to restore testicular function.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals