high cholesterol

J

j.

mamaherrera said:
but you take it that often because you also take aspirin, right?

Yes, but it's not an unnatural amount. A diet that includes beef tongue, liver, tripe, and grass-fed whole milk and butter might provide about that.

Not saying you should take that amount. 4 mg weekly seems fine as well.

OP
M

mamaherrera

even with the vitamin e? If I only take 200 mg of vitamin e, I don't think that's necessarily overdoing that either to cause a major drop in vitamin K. BUt I'll stick with 4mg and maybe do it twice a week. I'm also wondering if I need that more vitamin A, causing me to have more oily scalp and itchiness.

J

j.

I didn't know you were taking both K and E. Both are anti-estrogen. I think maybe you should just keep doing what you're doing regarding vits E and K.

Regarding vit A, you could take a small amount and see that happens. You could for example put one drop of nutrisorb A, which has 2500 IU, half the RDA, in an empty gel cap. Some people have issues when they take it just with water as it is absorbed very quickly.

Mittir

Did RP mention any where that high vitamin E depletes vitamin K?
Aspirin is a wonder drug. But i am cautious about aspirin as
some people have adverse reaction to aspirin: nose bleeding, stomach
ulcer etc. Since you are taking vitamin K you can talk to your naturopath
about possible use of Aspirin. RP recommends dissolving Aspirin in warm water
and to slowly increase dose let body build tolerance to it.
Aspirin also has anti-estrogenic effects.
You can try bag breathing 1-2 minutes few times a day and
according to RP CO2 improves all kind of derangement.
You should consult with your doctor if these are safe for you.
All fat soluble vitamins are very important and we do not usually
get a lot of it from average diet.

J

j.

Mittir said:
Did RP mention any where that high vitamin E depletes vitamin K?

Not that I know. I was just being careful. But I don't think he recommended high vitamin E. Supplements these days sometimes come with 1200 mg, while Peat's recommendation is about 70 mg daily.

OP
M

mamaherrera

no and I don't want to do aspirin right now as I'm breastfeeding. But I will keep on with my E and K. I"m thinking I need to get more vitamin A though, I hope the Thorne liquid isn't too expensive . I know the vitamin K was quite a bit. Vitamin A also counteracts estrogen as far as skin issues, from what I've read. Thinking that might help my itchy/oily scalp. It's only become itchy like this since I started more milk.

Mittir

@j He recommends 200-400 IU vitamin E and he seems open to the idea of higher dose
of vitamin E for health issues as used by Shute brothers. He also mentioned somewhere
a study showing adverse effect of excess vitamin E. He was probably talking about
anti-oxidant turning to oxidant in certain circumstances.
In an interview he talked about Japanese research where they use very large dose of vitamin K.
I vaguely remember he mentioned that they were using several hundred mg of vitamin K.

@mamaharera You can also consider using Estroban by haidut.
I have not used it but it has a good combination of fat soluble vitamins.

J

j.

Mittir said:
@mamaharera You can also consider using Estroban by haidut.
I have not used it but it has a good combination of fat soluble vitamins.

Estroban is probably a good idea for many, but it has the disadvantage that you can't increase the dose of just one vitamin, say vitamin A, without buying a vitamin A supplement.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Anything with absorbing qualities will decrease cholesterol. For instance, and certainly not recommended, for every 1g of soluble fiber you consume cholesterol levels go down by 2 points. But soluble fiber feeds your gut bacteria and makes them produce toxins. Insoluble fiber will have similar effect but less pronounced. So, carrot salad will lower your cholesterol. Here is a study that Peat often sites:
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/32/9/ ... ion_detail

Other absorbing substances are charcoal, bamboo shoots, and root vegetables like turnip and kohlrabi.

Other things that will reduce cholesterol in addition to what has already been mentioned are:
1. Pregnenolone
2. Taurine
3. Glycine

4. Magnesium (by far the most powerful option, in fact most studies say magnesium acts like a statin drug like Lipitor or Crestor but WITHOUT the side effects)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15466951
"...More recent work shows that Mg also acts as a statin."

5. Niacin (will also raise HDL, but not recommended due to the histamin and serotonin increase).

There are many more substances but I tried to list the most Peat-approved ones. If you just want to impress your doctor, taking 200mg of pregnenolone daily and 250mg-400mg of magnesium daily will likely lower your cholesterol so much your doctor will either think you are cheating and taking real drugs or will claim that the original lab results were wrong and you never had high cholesterol.
In addition to hypothyroidism, cholesterol levels rise as a protective mechanism. If you HDL is high, which your doctor will say is good, it means you are exposed to some sort of toxin. For instance, running and drinking alcohol raise HDL by a LOT since HDL is needed to bind and deactivate the endotoxin released from your gut due to irritation caused by running, and alcohol produced acetaldehyde which is a poison and HDL is needed to neutralize it. If your LDL is high it means you are under stress and cholesterol production is increased to protect your brain and other vital organs.
So, try the above things for as an immediate "fix" and also start working on fixing metabolism by improving diet.

J

j.

Niacin might be a bad idea. I don't recall the reasons Peat gave in an interview, hope someone else does.

J

j.

My personal experience suggests that progesterone is much more effective in lowering cholesterol than pregnenolone.

I had a 40 points drop when I was taking progesterone for just a few days, but no drop with use of pregnenolone for months.

OP
M

mamaherrera

How do I find out if I can take progesterone while nursing. Docs will always say no.

J

j.

mamaherrera said:
How do I find out if I can take progesterone while nursing. Docs will always say no.

Ask Ray Peat. I think he'll say yes. If you disagree, just focus on the other things we've been mentioning, such as raw carrot, orange juice, daylight, red light.

OP
M

mamaherrera

yes I need to get daylight, I hardly go outside, but also, how can you ask Ray Peat? I hear others that talk to him, but I don't know how to do that, is there a link or a website? I've checked his website and find nothing. And maybe I"ll just try some progest-e, It lasts for a long time right/ BEcause I've had mine in my fridge since last year.

Mittir

j. said:
Niacin might be a bad idea. I don't recall the reasons Peat gave in an interview, hope someone else does.
Niacin as Nicotinic acid and other slow release compound increases serotonin and
inflammatory prostaglandins. But Nicotinamide/Niacinamide does not have that problem.

SQu

To put your mind more at rest mamaherrera, it's great that you're tackling estrogen now while your baby is small. my daughters have symptoms of estrogen overload which I could have avoided if I'd known this when they were babies. but nothing too terrible, essentially they are in good health. another thing I wonder, is whether heart attacks are really linked to high cholesterol - I have it myself and when the doc wanted me on statins I did a lot of reading and I think - may be wrong - but it's worth checking - that there is no genuine connection (as opposed to the faking they do to sell us margarine). Reading some of RP's articles on the subject made me feel much better. Part of the improvement I feel on RP principles has been letting go the baseless fear they deliberately create in us.

OP
M

mamaherrera

thanks, I needed to hear that. Now I've gotta keep trying to stick at this and find what works for me. Like I said, maybe the high cholesterol now is in part to breastfeeding and the fact that it's still recent postpartum time for my body adjust from having high estrogen. But still, I have a general tendency for high estrogen/androgens. Is it always correct to say that if you lower estrogens, androgens will automatically lower as well?? I hope so!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals