HIGH Cholesterol High Blood Pressure Hypothyroid

forterpride

My 52 yr old mother has all three. What are some natural things she can start doing to address these? I've told her to kick out the PUFA's and grains, legumes. Anything else she can do to address these three things that I fear might kill her someday? Thanks in advance..

I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle when she googles "lowering cholesterol" and THIS POPS UP!!!!

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbea ... urally.htm

I mean..they say basically do the exact opposite of everything the Ray Peat diet talks about...arrrggggh!!! It's so frustrating!!!

Sincerely,
Worried Son.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
forterpride said:
I've told her to kick out the PUFA's and grains, legumes. Anything else she can do to address these three things that I fear might kill her someday? Thanks in advance..
I found completely removing all starches very beneficial.

OP
forterpride

forterpride

Charlie said:
forterpride said:
I've told her to kick out the PUFA's and grains, legumes. Anything else she can do to address these three things that I fear might kill her someday? Thanks in advance..
I found completely removing all starches very beneficial.

So basically only fruit as carbohydrate source?

pboy

She must be under a lot of stress, either unresolved emotional stess, a stressful environment with excess demands, or simply gut irritation. Any time cortisol has to rise due to a stress, thyroid is surpressed, blood pressure goes up, blood sugar goes up, free fatty acids go up, damage happens so cholesterol goes up...its not an accident. Reduce her emotional stress...which for an older woman might be a monumentous task if shes holding onto anything from the past. Have her try to relax more, don't over exercise, and only work as much as she has to. As for food, have her reduce as many chemicals, tough fibers, food known to produce gas, basically anything potentially irritating

most importantly, make sure she knows that this 'diagnosis' is actually just a screenshot of her temporary health state, which could have totally been different that same night. Let her know how the medical business works. They love when their machines spit our results like that, because then they can make you come back for a 'checkup' or prescribe drugs, which is how they make money. Things like blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar can be good or bad in the morning and then the opposite at night, depending on what happened during the day. But they basically try to make a temporary state a permanent state, and curse you into thinking you are damaged. That's like saying a person who stubbed their toe and got upset, was 'always and hopelessly an upset person' just because you happened to look at their behavior right after they hurt themselves. It helps them that its a depressing paternalistic, sick environment you walk into and wait in the waiting room for before you even get tested, which usually tests peoples patience and creates a helpless, stressed kind of mindset

HDD

forterpride said:
My 52 yr old mother has all three. What are some natural things she can start doing to address these? I've told her to kick out the PUFA's and grains, legumes. Anything else she can do to address these three things that I fear might kill her someday? Thanks in advance..

I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle when she googles "lowering cholesterol" and THIS POPS UP!!!!

I mean..they say basically do the exact opposite of everything the Ray Peat diet talks about...arrrggggh!!! It's so frustrating!!!

Sincerely,
Worried Son.

"Barnes experimented on rabbits, and found that when their thyroid glands were removed, they developed atherosclerosis, just as hypothyroid people did. By the mid-1930s, it was generally known that hypothyroidism causes the cholesterol level in the blood to increase; hypercholesterolemia was a diagnostic sign of hypothyroidism. Administering a thyroid supplement, blood cholesterol came down to normal exactly as the basal metabolic rate came up to the normal rate. The biology of atherosclerotic heart disease was basically solved before the second world war."
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/thyroid.shtml

bold mine

I have high cholesterol, borderline high blood pressure, and hypothyroidism. I have been following diet for over a year and started thyroid a few months ago. I plan to check my cholesterol when I have been on thyroid for 6 months. I will post the results then. My cholesterol before starting thyroid was 296.

Mittir

It is not easy to convince someone that Harvard dietary recommendations can be full
of BS. Their recommendation on egg and dietary cholesterol contradicts their own study.
I also like how they are interpreting weak evidence to scare people.

The discovery half a century ago that high blood cholesterol levels were strongly associated with an increased risk for heart disease triggered numerous warnings to avoid foods that contain cholesterol, especially eggs and liver.[glow=blue]As it turns out, most people make more cholesterol than they absorb from their food. A body of scientific studies shows only a weak relationship between the amount of cholesterol a person consumes and his or her blood cholesterol levels (34) (weak but still important for heart disease)[/glow]. In studies of more than 80,000 female nurses, [glow=blue]Harvard researchers found that consuming about an egg a day was not associated with higher risk of heart disease[/glow]
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionso ... ull-story/

6. Reduce dietary cholesterol. Strive to eat less than 200 mg of dietary cholesterol a day. [glow=blue]Limit eggs to no more than four egg yolks per week[/glow]; two egg whites can replace a whole egg in most recipes.

Recently there was a news on canadian study that found vegetable oil lowers
cholesterol but increases mortality.

The authors cite a study published earlier this year in February 2013 "… in which the intervention group replaced saturated fat with sources of safflower oil or safflower oil margarine (rich in omega-6 linoleic acid but low in omega-3 α-linoleic acid). They found that the intervention group had serum cholesterol levels that were significantly decreased (by about 8%-13%) relative to baseline and the control group, which is consistent with the health claim." However, rates of death from all causes of cardiovascular disease and coronary artery disease significantly increased in the treatment group.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 122105.htm

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
forterpride said:
So basically only fruit as carbohydrate source?
And milk. Milk is a very good source of sugar. It has potassium, magnesium, calcium, and just an all around amazing food. :)

Mittir

I can think of few things that improves health and do not directly contradict with
Harvard recommendations.

1. Daily raw carrot salad with some white vinegar and olive oil.
Carrot salad is very effective at lowering estrogen and
increasing thyroid function and improving overall health.
Here is a good description
http://raypeat.wikispaces.com/Carrot+salad

2 At least 80 grams of quality protein. Best sources are
dairy and gelatin. 2 quarts of low fat milk has 65 grams of protein.
You can mix milk, cheese, low fat fish, meat and gelatin to get at least 80 grams.
It makes a huge difference in health. Fish and muscle meats are high in anti-thyroid protein.
http://raypeat.wikispaces.com/Protein

3. High calcium intake is very helpful
in lowering blood pressure, increasing metabolism and lots of other good things.
Calcium intake should be 1200 to 2000 grams daily and total phosphorus intake
equal or less than calcium intake. Dairy and fruits can be the major part of diet.
Vitamin K helps with lowering blood pressure and keeping PTH in check
Beef liver is rich source of vitamin K, he also recommends well cooked Kale
for vitamin K. Calcium. Vitamin D and vitamin K all helps with lowering PTH.
He also recommends high intake of other alkalizing minerals sodium,potassium,magnesium

3 Beef. lamb or chicken liver for vitamin A and other important nutrients.
Chicken lacks copper. It is easier to eat 1 oz of liver once a day than to eat 4 oz
in one meal.

4 Weekly serving of seafood or source of selenium essential for converting T4 to T3

Back
Top Bottom