High Cholesterol Diet Does Not Increase Cvd Risk, Even In The Genetically Predisposed

haidut

Forum Supporter
Not that this is any surprise for the forum users, but even after FDA reverses its decades long rule on dietary cholesterol restrictions pretty much nothing has changed in the clinic. If you have CVD or are considered high risk for it, your doctor will still order you to avoid cholesterol at all cost and will also put you on statins.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160211083044.htm

"...A new study shows that a relatively high intake of dietary cholesterol, or eating one egg every day, are not associated with an elevated risk of incident coronary heart disease. Furthermore, no association was found among those with the APOE4 phenotype, which affects cholesterol metabolism and is common among the Finnish population. In the majority of population, dietary cholesterol affects serum cholesterol levels only a little, and few studies have linked the intake of dietary cholesterol to an elevated risk of cardiovascular diseases. Globally, many nutrition recommendations no longer set limitations to the intake of dietary cholesterol."

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It will probably take a least a decade for that information to make it to the clinical setting. Thanks for keeping us informed haidut.

J

jb116

I relatively recently had to argue with doctors and nurses for my mom in the hospital for intense bronchitis. Aside from the ridiculous amounts of prednisone they insisted on low cholesterol, bland high fiber diet in her charts because of "high cholesterol" history. So I forced them to bring the food we wanted. These foods helped her through steroid induced stress and night time mental breaks. You have to stand up to them.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You're so right jb116! I've refused statins myself on multiple occasions over the years. My last total cholesterol check was down 15 points doing nothing more than eating all the delicious, mostly Peat inspired foods I desire. I'm so thankful that I knew to avoid those drugs. Good for you for standing up for your mom! She is so lucky to have you.

J

jb116

You're so right jb116! I've refused statins myself on multiple occasions over the years. My last total cholesterol check was down 15 points doing nothing more than eating all the delicious, mostly Peat inspired foods I desire. I'm so thankful that I knew to avoid those drugs. Good for you for standing up for your mom! She is so lucky to have you.

Thanks Blossom! Means a lot because it is a fight. Don't back down. Oh yea the dreaded statins. Got her off of those as well.

tara

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
One egg is high?!

Lol, I know, right? Up until the 1970s having a few eggs for breakfast pretty much every day was considered mandatory for a good day of hard work. The work now is just as exhausting (and also gives you learned helplessness), so if anything I'd expect the recommended egg intake to be even higher. But the FDA has its own ideas on what healthy eating means.

Makrosky

Lol, I know, right? Up until the 1970s having a few eggs for breakfast pretty much every day was considered mandatory for a good day of hard work. The work now is just as exhausting (and also gives you learned helplessness), so if anything I'd expect the recommended egg intake to be even higher. But the FDA has its own ideas on what healthy eating means.

haidut what do you mean by that ? the work now gives you learned helplessness in what sense ?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut what do you mean by that ? the work now gives you learned helplessness in what sense ?

There are quite a few studies showing polarization (in income and political views) in society and at work has increased dramatically since the 1960s and that has led to mass spread of feeling of powerlessness for the lower status group. That lower status group now makes 99% of the population in the USA. So, basically for all of us the feelings of helplessness have increased a lot since the 1960s. There is a reason anti-depressants are the most prescribed drugs.

Makrosky

There are quite a few studies showing polarization (in income and political views) in society and at work has increased dramatically since the 1960s and that has led to mass spread of feeling of powerlessness for the lower status group. That lower status group now makes 99% of the population in the USA. So, basically for all of us the feelings of helplessness have increased a lot since the 1960s. There is a reason anti-depressants are the most prescribed drugs.
haidut but it does have something to do with the place of work itself, or because we feel powerless through media, diet and cultural means ?
I mean, people has moved to work with computers and intelectual stuff rather than physical labour. Does this have something to do with the learned helplessness or it's just something more global ?
Very interested on hear your opinion on that.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut but it does have something to do with the place of work itself, or because we feel powerless through media, diet and cultural means ?
I mean, people has moved to work with computers and intelectual stuff rather than physical labour. Does this have something to do with the learned helplessness or it's just something more global ?
Very interested on hear your opinion on that.

I think the way we do work has changed to reflect the increased polarization. Another study found that contrary to what media trumpets 24-7 the modern workplace is much more authoritarian and people in virtually any profession have more work-related anxiety, less freedom and higher demands placed on them than 40 years ago. I don't know it is deliberate or just a result from globalization, but what has been advertised as worker freedom seems to be simply instability and uncertainty, which when combined with less power (perceived or real) to enact change leads to learned helplessness.
I guess there was also more physical labor back in 1960s, which can be thought of as sometimes therapeutic. Ray wrote about rats avoiding learned helplessness when they had something to bite on during stress. I supposed being in manual labor can provide opportunities to hit, kick, punch, demolish things as a way of venting while the modern office atmosphere frowns upon unrestricted display of such emotions, especially anger. The Japanese were on to something when they discovered back in the 1970s that placing boss look-alike punching dolls in the office of major corporations dramatically decreased workplace suicides. Given the Japanese' tolerance and preference for suicide, I suspect that adopting a similar approach in the Western world can decrease work-related homicides. Of course, solving the real problems leading to learned helplessness would be preferable but not likely. So, in the absence of solutions and Western punching dolls people turn to alcohol, drugs, and eventually violence.
Just my 2c.

Makrosky

I think the way we do work has changed to reflect the increased polarization. Another study found that contrary to what media trumpets 24-7 the modern workplace is much more authoritarian and people in virtually any profession have more work-related anxiety, less freedom and higher demands placed on them than 40 years ago. I don't know it is deliberate or just a result from globalization, but what has been advertised as worker freedom seems to be simply instability and uncertainty, which when combined with less power (perceived or real) to enact change leads to learned helplessness.
I guess there was also more physical labor back in 1960s, which can be thought of as sometimes therapeutic. Ray wrote about rats avoiding learned helplessness when they had something to bite on during stress. I supposed being in manual labor can provide opportunities to hit, kick, punch, demolish things as a way of venting while the modern office atmosphere frowns upon unrestricted display of such emotions, especially anger. The Japanese were on to something when they discovered back in the 1970s that placing boss look-alike punching dolls in the office of major corporations dramatically decreased workplace suicides. Given the Japanese' tolerance and preference for suicide, I suspect that adopting a similar approach in the Western world can decrease work-related homicides. Of course, solving the real problems leading to learned helplessness would be preferable but not likely. So, in the absence of solutions and Western punching dolls people turn to alcohol, drugs, and eventually violence.
Just my 2c.
Good points man. I don't see the inestability/uncertainity as bad. People that have been working on the same place for ages tend to become grayish. Tend to become stupidized. So to that regard, the uncertainity has a very good side effect. And yeah, good point about the office, you definitely CAN'T express anger nor even sadness. Basically, the office desk is extremely constrictive for emotions and free energy flow. If you are ok, then it's good, you can enter a flow state and feel good. But if you don't feel good, it can become a torture.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Good points man. I don't see the inestability/uncertainity as bad. People that have been working on the same place for ages tend to become grayish. Tend to become stupidized. So to that regard, the uncertainity has a very good side effect. And yeah, good point about the office, you definitely CAN'T express anger nor even sadness. Basically, the office desk is extremely constrictive for emotions and free energy flow. If you are ok, then it's good, you can enter a flow state and feel good. But if you don't feel good, it can become a torture.

Yep, uncertainty/instability can be good. But when they are combined with a feeling of powerlessness due to the polarization, hypothyroidism, etc it can become crippling. Ideally, people should be able to float towards the optimal environment for them subject to changing circumstances. So, the floating ability is there but the feeling most people have is that someone else is steering the course for them and against their wishes. It is the feeling of powerlessness that is crippling, not the fluidity of life.

Does that include familial hypercholesterol,which I have been diagnosed with,also strong indications for ApoB, and LPa disorders plus coagulation irregularity. First heart blockage 39 years,which is very young for a female.Im taking vitamins ADEK2 In suggested amounts,taurine ,no puffas(or at least very little).I have a problem getting enough protein as I'm rarely hungry,could I take bcaa to up protein,can't seem to snap out of bad depression and hopelessness also pressure to have another stent,constant pain in my heart I'm so fed up with doctors and cardio's can't tell the truth,I've had to do all my own research and I'm not well enough physically or mentally any more.Im bursting with anger at the devious medical profession.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Does that include familial hypercholesterol,which I have been diagnosed with,
It seems like it does include familial hypercholesterol according to the link haidut posted.

I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed with having to figure out so much on your own. Many of us have been or still are in the same boat as far as having figure out a lot of things for ourselves. I replied to your concern about a stent a while back and if you haven't had a chance to check out the book I mentioned I think it's still relevant and might be helpful for making an informed decision about a second stent.
What med's are in my DES (drug eluding stents) stents
This Peat newsletter might also be helpful if you haven't already read it.
Heart and Hormones (May, 2013 newsletter)
I would also scour Peat's website for anything and everything to do with the heart. After all a heart attack is just one of the more severe examples of when energy fails. The fact that you've gone through that doesn't mean you can't improve your situation and it sounds like you are already making positive changes.
I think it's completely understandable that you would feel depressed, discouraged and have trouble with your appetite after all you have been through. Have you checked to see if there are any support groups in your area for people navigating similar issues? Just connecting with others in real life who have been through the same challenges can sometimes help. Feeling isolated because of what you have been through will only reinforce a depressed state.
Im bursting with anger at the devious medical profession.
I completely relate. Lots of people feel this way after coming to the realization that medicine is not what we are led to believe. The anger gradually fades with time in my experience.
I'm sure there is much, much more others can add to my ramblings that would be of benefit to your situation and I hope you get lots of input. Wishing you the best.

Hugh Johnson

Does that include familial hypercholesterol,which I have been diagnosed with,also strong indications for ApoB, and LPa disorders plus coagulation irregularity. First heart blockage 39 years,which is very young for a female.Im taking vitamins ADEK2 In suggested amounts,taurine ,no puffas(or at least very little).I have a problem getting enough protein as I'm rarely hungry,could I take bcaa to up protein,can't seem to snap out of bad depression and hopelessness also pressure to have another stent,constant pain in my heart I'm so fed up with doctors and cardio's can't tell the truth,I've had to do all my own research and I'm not well enough physically or mentally any more.Im bursting with anger at the devious medical profession.
I looked it up. Might just be hypothyroidism. In this article, thyroid hormone supplementatio lowered cholesterol dramatically.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC319395/pdf/pnas00655-0634.pdf

Might be worth a shot.

B

Braveheart

Just my 2c.

Excellent, right on...

Thanks Blossom ,my head been all over the place the last few months I just seemed to stagnate.today I looked up articles ,and YouTube about ,I think it's called worried sick , and it's definitely given me plenty to think about,actually I wasn't surprised,it just seems the more you dig the more corruption you discover,and well done Dr Norton for putting health before profit.I have read Heart and Hormones,several times in fact to try to understand and make it work for me ,I'm getting there slowly but surely,it's such a lot to take in,I feel like I'm back in school learning a foreign language but I'l keep plugging away.your such a kind lady Blossom thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals